Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 13-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Songbirds

Sciatica?

I've recently been diagnosed with sciatica by my doctor, after experiencing lower back pain, back in my right buttock and down my leg into my foot. It was there for like three weeks and eased off a bit, but over the last few days it has come back. It hurts more sitting or laying down so I'm trying to keep as active as possible.

I've been taking ibuprofen as recommended by my doctor, to help minimize swelling and take any pain off.

Although I do not want to rely purely on medication, so if anyone has any tips for the treatment of sciatica then please comment or message me :)
Old 13-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Master
Hi I had it for a while (18 months), I eventually got rid off it through accupunture. Im in the uk and i got it on the nhs and I have to say for the first 5 sessions it didnt seem to be doing much, but the 6th session...wow. Hurt like hell, my back ached terribly after, I had decided not to go back again. The next day I woke up and nothing, no pain, back to normal completely, that was two years ago. I highly recommend it for pain control in things like sciatica. I had tried several other things before (anti inflamatorys, and physio and various massages) but the only thing that did the job was accupuncture.
Old 13-05-2012, 08:18 PM
merrie

Sometimes a colonic cleanse is appropriate for sciaticia. The area of the tranverse colon and sciatic nerve are in close proximity to each other. When the bowels are constipated in that area there could be a problem. Taking the pressure off with a cleanse may help?
Old 13-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Enya

Cranio sacral therapy is very good for sciatica.
Old 13-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Songbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen
Hi I had it for a while (18 months), I eventually got rid off it through accupunture. Im in the uk and i got it on the nhs and I have to say for the first 5 sessions it didnt seem to be doing much, but the 6th session...wow. Hurt like hell, my back ached terribly after, I had decided not to go back again. The next day I woke up and nothing, no pain, back to normal completely, that was two years ago. I highly recommend it for pain control in things like sciatica. I had tried several other things before (anti inflamatorys, and physio and various massages) but the only thing that did the job was accupuncture.

Yeah I know someone what recommended acupuncture, worked great for them too. I didn't know you could get it on the NHS either! If it hasn't cleared up within a few more weeks I'll have to go back to my doctor and see if she will refer me for something like that. Although I get a bit freaked out about acupuncture after watching Final Destination haha :(.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrie
Sometimes a colonic cleanse is appropriate for sciaticia. The area of the tranverse colon and sciatic nerve are in close proximity to each other. When the bowels are constipated in that area there could be a problem. Taking the pressure off with a cleanse may help?

What type of cleanse do you mean? A food fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enya
Cranio sacral therapy is very good for sciatica.

Never heard of cranio sacral therapy before. Will have a little peek online to see what it's all about :)

Thanks everyone for the help!
Old 13-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Master
I agree with Enya, deep massage on the sacral can releive the pain caused by sciatica, in fact I have not long ago treated a lady who had much pain from her sciatica, I worked deep into the sacral and down the back of the leg where the sciatic nerve runs, she is now free of any pain and very happy.
Old 13-05-2012, 10:57 PM
madein71

i second the acupuncture ...... i'm not a fan of needles but gave it a try and found it very beneficial for lower back pain
Old 02-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Master

I have an ick back, I call it my karmic back as I'm sure there is some past life issue at stake.

I have two slipped discs, and drugs were the only thing. The discs press on the sciatic nerve and when they are more dislodged than normal, I have pain!

I recently found a genius chiropractor who offers chiro alongside kinesology - (sp). He tested my reflex nerves and they were all really weak, instantly strengthened by the removal of all metal objects on my body - my watch, my lovely necklace. Next he tested my mineral level, I was low on calcium - common. Then came a round of manipulation, first twice weekly and now once a week until it will be maintenance. Calcium supplements will always be taken and also I will avoid metal mostly (although painting the back of my watch with clear nail varnish makes it a safe thing to wear).

Personally, I would avoid pain relief if possible. The pain is telling you something and so listen to it, don't hide it. As for what cure to go for, or management of sciatica (I'm not convinced there is a cure as it seems to me to be a condition that needs to be managed), then I guess it depends on what is causing it. Is there a back problem? Is there a gut problem or is there a chakra problem. Or maybe something else?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:23 PM
StephenK

Here's an article that agrees with everything that's been written so far
http://altmedicine.about.com/od/healthconditionsdisease/a/sciatica.htm

And here's a couple of video's using yoga for relief:

Yoga Stretches for Sciatica
http://www.ehow.com/video_7534886_yoga-stretches-sciatica.html

Yoga for Sciatica Relief
http://www.ehow.com/video_8428715_yoga-sciatica-relief.html

and another article based around stretching
http://www.ehow.com/way_5218399_sciatica-relief-stretches.html

Check to the right of each of these pages for other links to further information on the subject...

...and as with all things make sure you're exposing yourself to a non-processed, whole foods, clean diet... :^)
Old 03-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Guide
I've had sciatica for the last couple of weeks (I've got other back problems too though). The pain was going down my leg, making me legs feel weak and I couldn't sit anywhere without pain. I went to see an osteopath who did some work on the sciatic nerve endings. I can honestly say it was one of the most painful thing I've ever experienced–but! After a couple of sessions the pain has gone so I'd recommend an osteopath if you can get to see one.