Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 19-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Experiencer
jamesart7,

Wrong on both counts.

In reverse order, Yeshua in English is Joshua.

As for YHVH, spelled Yod, Hay, Vav, Hay in Hebrew, according to Jewish scripture - what Christians refer to as the Old Testament - it is indeed G-d's name, not simply another word for G-d. As for Jahovah [sic], it is the inaccurate Germanized pronunciation of G-d's name if one puts the vowels for the Hebrew word Adonai beneath the tetragrammaton.

B'shalom,

Peter
Old 20-07-2011, 02:18 AM
jamesart7

ok.. thats good to know RabbiO..
Old 20-07-2011, 03:32 AM
Master
The name of God is silent... and the divine silent presence can be subtly felt. That is how God is known.

Xan

Old 20-07-2011, 05:45 AM
jamesart7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
The name of God is silent... and the divine silent presence can be subtly felt. That is how God is known.

Xan

god's name is silent? meaning it is not known? right>?
Old 20-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Student4Life1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesart7
The god of the bible is said to be very powerful and has three entities in it.

A being so powerful and can do anything, but "what is gods name?"

"Its hard to believe that this god has no name.....
maybe god doesnt need a name. my dogs name is zack, but even if we never named him as a puppy, he would still be the same, capable of love, playing and everything else he does. the need to place a name to something is only for identification, so we can use the name to refer to something we can all use for a reference.
Old 20-07-2011, 12:46 PM
AngelicOrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student4Life1975
maybe god doesnt need a name. my dogs name is zack, but even if we never named him as a puppy, he would still be the same, capable of love, playing and everything else he does. the need to place a name to something is only for identification, so we can use the name to refer to something we can all use for a reference.

I love this.
Old 20-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesart7
god's name is silent? meaning it is not known? right>?

Meaning, God is not a person or an idea but the infinite source and essence of existence. Not nameable, despite the many names we humans have come up with.

As I understand it, the Jewish religion acknowledges this by saying "the name of God is unpronounceable" and "the name of God cannot be spoken" and so leaves out the 'o' in the middle.

In my own experience divine presence cannot be described but only pointed toward, for others to perhaps take the hint and look into the silence beyond the mind.

Xan

Old 21-07-2011, 08:38 AM
jamesart7

Still, no one gave me a believable answer.... =(
Old 21-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Master
That's because knowing God is not about believing, but experiencing in one's own discovery. As I mentioned to you in another thread... that's what deep meditation is about.

Xan

Old 21-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Time

James - yes, me and peter (rabbio) did

me

Quote:
God ( as in the bible) is usualy called, god, or El, ELhom(i think), and more personaly YHWY

What i meant there, was that yhwh, or Yhvh (thanks peter) is his name..

Rabbio

Quote:
As for YHVH, spelled Yod, Hay, Vav, Hay in Hebrew, according to Jewish scripture - what Christians refer to as the Old Testament - it is indeed G-d's name, not simply another word for G-d.

Since this is in the christianity forum, and judeism is the basis of christianity, dispite the fact that i dont recall gods name being mentioned in the NT, it was mentioned in the OT, as YHWH. So, if your asking from a christian context, it is yhwh, and yes, god, and all the words that mean god, because we now use it as such.

If you asking from a more general context, then gods name, differs for us all. Your god/gods names will be different from mine, if you even beleive in it as such or not well still name it. SO generaly speaking there is no name for god.