Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 05-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Master
"And some of the older Christian traditions, such as Greek Orthodoxy or Celtic Christianity, created hybrids using some of the pagan mystical symbolism...some of which is still incorporated."

Just a little follow-on snippet to that. Gerald Gardner, who founded Wicca in the 1950's, was an ordained priest of an obscure branch of Celtic Christianity. So was Ross Nichol who founded the largest order of British Druidry.
Another snippet Britain was converted to christianity by monks from the Celtic Church which explains why Britain has always been pagan under the skin. The Celtic Church was a mystic hybrid with many pagan practices.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Time

Just like christianity in general:P
Old 05-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Master
Fish

In Canada many early missionaries were martyred by Aboriginal peoples so eventually it was common sense to try to hybridize, to create bridges of understanding, tolerance and acceptance. In the mid 1990s Aboriginal children were taken from their parents and forced to grow up in residential schools to strip them of their language and culture (and dignity). Many of these children were sexually abused by the priests operating these schools.

An Inuit ("Eskimo") speaker said that the Inuit (pagan) religion was 10,000 years old - enough time to work out all the "kinks". Bare bones religion is mysticism. Mysticism is at the heart of the self-transformational experience - through which we realize all that we are.

Mystical traditions give power to the individual for their own growth whereas lay orthodoxy and religious dogma give power to priests, bishops and popes. The initiation ceremonies (Holy Communion, Baptism etc.) are supposed to be energy transferences from the Divine. To be effective the conduits need to open to that divine energy, the congregation needs to be open to receiving it and the space needs to be a high energy space. All of this is explained in the mystical traditions. If it is done without understanding or sincerity, the ceremony is rendered ineffective.

I still think Christianity has merit but it needs to stop damning its own mystical underpinnings. It will die off with the younger generation unless it does this.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:14 PM
nightowl

norsemen,

I love your snippets they are always informative...

Time,

Yeah, I know of no pure religion, in other words to me pretty much all religions are a kind of cultural combine in the theology and doctrines.

Uma,

I cringe every time I here of the churches treatment of indigenous groups

Quote:
Mysticism is at the heart of the self-transformational experience - through which we realize all that we are.

Mystical traditions give power to the individual for their own growth whereas lay orthodoxy and religious dogma give power to priests, bishops and popes. The initiation ceremonies (Holy Communion, Baptism etc.) are supposed to be energy transferences from the Divine. To be effective the conduits need to open to that divine energy, the congregation needs to be open to receiving it and the space needs to be a high energy space. All of this is explained in the mystical traditions. If it is done without understanding or sincerity, the ceremony is rendered ineffective.

Nicely put, many forget the meaning behind much of what they say they believe and unfortunately miss the deeper understanding of them.

nightowl
Old 05-08-2011, 10:44 PM
soma

Christian Mysticism explains how our actions and thoughts within and without resolve themselves in the simplicity of the whole experience, when we focus on our simple unity in God's pure consciousness and have become acquainted with God's unity. God is outside and within ourselves in His pure consciousness, which can be witnessed inside, when we know that reality is more than what is observed outside with the senses. Letting go of what is little, Christian Mysticism enters into a larger concept of life where there is nothing to fear because we realize that conflict is the result of seeing only in part, not the whole picture.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:53 PM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma
Christian Mysticism explains how our actions and thoughts within and without resolve themselves in the simplicity of the whole experience, when we focus on our simple unity in God's pure consciousness and have become acquainted with God's unity. God is outside and within ourselves in His pure consciousness, which can be witnessed inside, when we know that reality is more than what is observed outside with the senses. Letting go of what is little, Christian Mysticism enters into a larger concept of life where there is nothing to fear because we realize that conflict is the result of seeing only in part, not the whole picture.

soma,

I do like this! Understanding the unity of our spiritual existence, speaks to me.

nightowl
Old 06-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Time

Uma - I wouldnt say they were martyrd, IT depends on the tribes.

For instance, more then half of the continents native population was iroqouis (made up of mohawk, onieda, cherokee and a few others). I dont know about the other tribes, but the mohawks practiced cannabalism.

The tibes would ONLY sacrifice "worthy warriors". They would tie them to a tree, cut out their heart, liver and kidneys ( i think it was kidneys ? LOL), drink the blood, and eat the organs cut out (while he was alive), so that the warriors of the ntive tribe could absorb the acrificed warriors virtues. There is no native evidence, that sacrifice was done to pounish or for fun. THe thing is based on other cultures who did the same thing, they wouldve started to sacrifice more and more as their lives went down the drain. They wouldve known the source of their problems (white man), and done anything to stop them. Their tradidtions went unsoild for 10 000 years or so. No wonder the christians freaked out.................. Too bad they missed the bible memo of "honor they neighbor".....
Old 06-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time
Uma - I wouldnt say they were martyrd, IT depends on the tribes.

I don't know exactly. It's been a while since I read histories. Here's a bit of info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesuit_...the _Iroquois It says that the Jesuits tried their best to be respectful but the French created problems because they were at war with the Hurons... It always gets ugly when politics gets involved with religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time
For instance, more then half of the continents native population was iroqouis (made up of mohawk, onieda, cherokee and a few others). I dont know about the other tribes, but the mohawks practiced cannabalism.

The tibes would ONLY sacrifice "worthy warriors". They would tie them to a tree, cut out their heart, liver and kidneys ( i think it was kidneys ? LOL), drink the blood, and eat the organs cut out (while he was alive), so that the warriors of the ntive tribe could absorb the acrificed warriors virtues. There is no native evidence, that sacrifice was done to pounish or for fun. THe thing is based on other cultures who did the same thing, they wouldve started to sacrifice more and more as their lives went down the drain. They wouldve known the source of their problems (white man), and done anything to stop them. Their tradidtions went unsoild for 10 000 years or so. No wonder the christians freaked out.................. Too bad they missed the bible memo of "honor they neighbor".....

Sacrifice and cannibalism...hmm. Well the Holy Communion is about eating the blood and flesh of Christ too isn't it? And I think the ancient Aztecs did a lot of things like that...and a lot of other older civilizations. I think all of this comes of taking things too literally, and practices that became too extreme. Sacrifice should mean something else, shouldn't it? Like surrendering the ego, or becoming unselfish. And Holy Communion is really about connecting on an energy level to the Divine.

But pain is a great teacher, there is no doubt about that, a great teacher.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Docha

I can't help but wonder if I found miss information, or if what was just posted was miss information. As far as I ever read heard etc. Iroquios only sacrificed and ate their enemies. It was to gain the strength of those who wished them harm, to fortify them yes, but to sacrifice one of their own in such a way would be detrimental to them.

Sorry, that just didn't sit right with me. Lol carry on.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Time

Uma - Well its not like the missionaries stood up in court denouncing the former religion and promoting theirs and died for it right? They died trying to spread the word, so.... thats why I say sorta LOL. The iroquois were war ish peoples. They woulda associated white people with enemies. And then you got someone trying to tellt hem their nature gods are wrong? LOL

In terms of sacrificing, a sacrifice was part of the practice of giving blood to the earth, so that life can continue (based on the life dies so it can live thing), a sacrifice of a person was usualy concidered the uttermost respect for their gods, or in terms of the North americans - to gain their strength etc.

Doche - That is waht i said isnt it? LOL I never mentioned the iroquois sacrificing their own ( i dont think theres evidence of this, but there is in regards to the aztecs and what not). However, they were pretty war like with other tribes. As far as ive read, any worthy warrior, would be used for cannibalism, be it a priest, frenchman, or another native. And to them it wasnt detremental, it was their belief that this would strengthen the tribe if their men had lots of strength and what not from other warriors. No difference from treating yoruself with a huge salad because you think its full of vitamins and is good for you ya know?