Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 30-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Master
That whole 'log in your own eye' thing

I find myself coming back to that famous Jesus question (I wouldn't call myself a Christian, but Jesus quotes are coming back me quite a lot, of late), 'why do you see the splinter in your brother's eye, and not the log in your own?' I've always liked it, but the one thing that jarred for me a little was the apparent suggestion that your own sins are much greater than those of everyone else, but it occurred to me the other day that maybe it's simply a question of perspective?' Like, a splinter would look the size of a log if it were in your own eye (and you actually chose to see it)?
Old 01-12-2014, 01:49 AM
Deactivated Account

human being-the way I always understood it was-it is so much easier to look at the sins of another and not looking at your own
Old 01-12-2014, 02:23 AM
DayLight1555

I think the statement was said to make the point that SOMETIMES something YOU do wrong could be even bigger than the little sin that you're judging in your brother.
But you don't see your own sin...so you are happy to judge. But your own COULD BE bigger even... and you just don't see it.

Only applies if that's true. And SOMETIMES that's true. And it's very ironic. And people are not aware of it.

So it's not saying that it's always the case that your sin is bigger than theirs.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:31 AM
Master
That whole 'log in your own eye' thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by A human Being
I find myself coming back to that famous Jesus question (I wouldn't call myself a Christian, but Jesus quotes are coming back me quite a lot, of late), 'why do you see the splinter in your brother's eye, and not the log in your own?' I've always liked it, but the one thing that jarred for me a little was the apparent suggestion that your own sins are much greater than those of everyone else, but it occurred to me the other day that maybe it's simply a question of perspective?' Like, a splinter would look the size of a log if it were in your own eye (and you actually chose to see it)?

A human Being,

Perhaps holding up another quote would be helpful: "As a man thinks, so is he"...in the mirror of Life.

We don't see the things the way they are. We see things as WE are.
-Talmund

That's why....

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
Dr. Wayne Dyer

....which was likely Jesus' intention to help the person He was speaking to remove that whole 'log in his own eye' thing'....

...by looking in the mirror.

Hope this helps...
Old 01-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Knower

Perhaps another way to think of it. Everyone has a log in their eye and everyone has a speck in their eye. The amount of spiritual work you have to do before you can teach is proportionate to the log and the speck. If everyone follows this they will be working hard on learning the two things that we were given by Christ in the Gospel of John to do. That is love God and love for others. If everyone is working hard on learning love, because love tends to overlook faults we will no longer see the speck.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:02 PM
Quote:
I find myself coming back to that famous Jesus question (I wouldn't call myself a Christian,
but Jesus quotes are coming back me quite a lot, of late), 'why do you see the splinter in your brother's eye, and not the log in your own?'
I've always liked it, but the one thing that jarred for me a little was the apparent suggestion that your own sins are much greater than those of everyone else, but it occurred to me the other day that maybe it's simply a question of perspective?'
Like, a splinter would look the size of a log if it were in your own eye (and you actually chose to see it)?
I never once got any 'apparent suggestion'...just sayin'...nor any suggestion of 'sin' is found in his advice.

Just look at your own business...never mind anyone else's...your business is more important...
peace starts with 'you'....spreads outward like a ripple in a pond...
also, put your face mask on first.

Where is the sin? A splinter isn't sin.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 01-12-2014, 12:35 PM
Suspended

Hi Folks..

My mate was simply stating,that we mortals are not even in a position to judge any other,as we do not even know our own Self to any good degree,let alone the other,and so any judgement we offer is bound to be inaccurate..Hence He chose a "visual" symbol to show that we simply are not able to see Truth in this current state....

Nothing to do with sins in a traditonal sense - except sin itsself IS the whole of this "lower mind" that we CURRENTLY use for guidance and judgement..This lower mind is the thng we use to "see our truth"..In esence then,the "splinter" we see int another is the tiny flash of mind we see in the them,their surface thoughts as they present to us and the world around..And we ourselvs are using we beleive,our WHOLE mind,which is why to our perspective this splinter becomes a "log" to our awareness..The obstacle in both cases IS the lwoer mind itself..He is saying that with this lower mind,this log still in place,we are unable to judge the mind of others and will not see their truth as we do not see OUR truth either....

This of course,would be tied intimately to His other advise to KNOW THY SELF,and His advise to first put aside all preconceptions beore we attempt to commune with the Father within us..HE is ALWAYS speaking about MIND for rememeber always,He came directly FROM the source of all creation,has THAT perspctive of Self - and He said in plain English,the Father is a mind that calls forth its own conception,and thus casued the universe to exist..

That advise - KNOW THY SELF - truly He said,it is essential,for I and the Father are one...When the communion begins in earnest,then we allow this inner guidance He taught of,we naturally forego this little mind here in favour of our Divine Presence thta we are becoming,and thus we have "removed the log" and can begin to see truth clearly,as presented BY this new indwelling spirit this new perspective of Self....
Old 01-12-2014, 08:13 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:

My point is that context controls the mind of the reader, and attempts to convey what the author had in mind.

John 7:24 states: Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

And of course the scripture you are pondering within its context:

Quote:
"Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the speck from your eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

Given the multiple Scriptures throughout the Bible that instruct a follower of Christ to not judge with a superficial and hypocritical judgment, we must take into account the types of judgment that the Bible not only condones but instructs believers to do. And also we must reject or attempt to resist the types of judgment that are considered unrighteous and superficial.

Take for example a common misunderstanding of this verse when someone tells you not to judge in the name of tolerance, because they're actually being condemned by Jesus in that Scripture:

*First that person has to judge that you're being judgmental.
*Second that person has to judge that what you're doing is wrong.
*Thus they have violated their own standard.
*Instead suggest to them that they should try to understand the entire Bible's teaching so they can do as Jesus instructed, which is John 7:24 states: Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Lastly, believers are not here in the world to judge in the sense of determining the destiny of an unbeliever. Such Scriptures as 1 Corinthians 5 are an example of a dual standard within and among Christians. Take verses: 9-13

Quote:
9 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church[b] whom you are to judge? 13 God judges[c] those outside. “Purge the evil person from among you.”

This verse takes into account Jesus' teaching and condemns hypocrites, instructing the body of Christ to expel wicked persons out of the church and leaving them to the Judgment of God. as in the previous verses which state:

Quote:
5 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father's wife. 2 And you are arrogant! Ought you not rather to mourn? Let him who has done this be removed from among you.

3 For though absent in body, I am present in spirit; and as if present, I have already pronounced judgment on the one who did such a thing. 4 When you are assembled in the name of the Lord Jesus and my spirit is present, with the power of our Lord Jesus, 5 you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord.[a]

JibJab
Old 01-12-2014, 08:18 PM
Excellent, JibJab....yes.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 03-12-2014, 10:04 PM
Augadelume

Quote:

In my opinion this scripture means that it is not your place to judge another you should instead be focused on your own sin and trying to better yourself in Gods eyes a sin is a sin is does not matter which sin it is God can not be where sin is and sin can not be where God is as far as referring to the size of the log or splinter the way I took it was as what pertains to you and not necessarily the bigger it is the worse the sin but the bigger it is the more important it is for you to deal with it and get it out of your life and closer to God. That is just my personal opinion may it be wrong or right that is the way I see it