Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Yoga

Old 17-02-2014, 06:38 AM
Lawrence

Tantra yoga

Has anybody tried tantra yoga? I have read about tantric sex through which enlightenment can be achieved. Anybody having real experience of it?
Old 17-02-2014, 01:04 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence
Has anybody tried tantra yoga? I have read about tantric sex through which enlightenment can be achieved. Anybody having real experience of it?

In any traditional Hindu school, this is a myth. Tantra means 'method' and refers to any yogic method of working towards a more profound awareness. But in the west especially, it has become almost exclusively associated with sexuality.
Old 18-02-2014, 04:20 AM
Lawrence

Did not Indian mystics talk/engage in tantric sex?
Old 18-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Master

Read viJNAna bhairava tantra.
Old 18-02-2014, 06:27 PM
pgrundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinayaka
In any traditional Hindu school, this is a myth. Tantra means 'method' and refers to any yogic method of working towards a more profound awareness. But in the west especially, it has become almost exclusively associated with sexuality.

Thank you. Things get distorted in translation and this is one of the worst, I think.

Also, isn't tantra (as method) associated in a general sense with meditation on imagery as a way of transcending dualities? A kind of magical practice perhaps, in a way, but not like pulling a bunny out of a hat, and not necessarily like the popular Western idea of tantra as having hours-long nonorgasmic sex?

I hope that question made any sense at all.
Old 18-02-2014, 06:30 PM
pgrundy

For example, some Vajrayana Buddhist practices might be called tantric, I think.