Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Closed Thread

Old 23-10-2006, 11:57 PM
ljepotica

Cat The difference between reality/fantasy

I'm just curious about what you think reality and fantasy is.

I mean how many times do people say "this is the real world" or "coming back down to reality"

What is this reality to you? Is it what you percieve to be real? Or is it what you percieve to be real according to the norms of society?

Surely reality is not real in the sense that when you face it you don't face your own reality but a fabricated way of being/looking at things. By this I mean when we think about reality we're thinking about the ideas/opinions/views of how others see the world and which in turn influences what we percieve as reality.

This real world is not real, it's the ideas and thoughts of others that we see as what is being normal-if that makes sense.

Fantasy seems more real in the sense that in a fantasy you can think whatever you want and there is nobody there to judge you or "pollute" your ways of thinking. You're not tied down to what everyone else or most people around think is real.

If reality is so real and so good then why do you feel that you have to come back to the real world and it's sometimes negative or not you want or expected.

This real world is not what you truly are,why you have to be careful, and you're more exposed and insecure for fear of the reactions of others...you're conditioned to think and behave a certain way and even those of us that are different subscribe to this conditioned way of being...

But in fantasy you're free to let your thoughts/ideas/opinions flow. You're not tied down to how to behave/what to say/what actions to take.

To me fantasy seems far more real than fantasy as I don't agree to convention or norms-I'm not harming anybody in my fantasies but am percieving the world as I would like it to be...

What are your thoughts on fantasy/reality?
Old 24-10-2006, 12:09 AM
Deactivated Account
our reality is all we believe in isn't it? JMHO
Old 24-10-2006, 12:11 AM
Deactivated Account
fantasy is the dream, i think
Old 24-10-2006, 12:18 AM
BLAIR2BE

fantasy is our imagination; re-ality(?) is some thing that exists independent of theories, some thing that exists weather anyone realizes it or not......
Old 24-10-2006, 12:58 AM
Glorymist

ljepotica - - love your dreams. Your - - "fantasies." Most truly great men and women - - and most certainly the spiritual greats - - all know the value of imagination. From Einstein to Jesus to Rumi - - all told of the inner dream.

One often speaks of their "reality" as how they perceive life to be. Ms. Daisy had it right. What we believe in.

So - - I guess - - this is just one dilemma that cannot have a pat answer. You almost have to know who you are dealing with to know what they mean by using the word "reality." Or - - ask.

That can lead to some very interesting conversations. Or - - some rather intense battles.

Old 24-10-2006, 03:07 AM
ljepotica

Sorry guys I forgot to say that when I was talking about reality and fantasy I meant in a mental way and not physical...I often forget some details

You all make sense, it is true that reality is something that we believe in and also something that exists independent of theories. But it sometimes seems that people that you see in films or read about in fictional books seem more real than what you sometimes see around you...

What I want to know is how do we know what we see as being reality is actually in fact reality? Do we assume that it is reality simply because everyone else around us thinks it is? What if everyone is saying that X is real and yet you think that X is not real. What makes others think X is real...of course I'm talking about the mental side of things, if we percieve reality to be what we see then we are drawing upon what many others have percieved to be real and in turn what we have internalised to be real-but we are stuck in this frame of thinking and if someone starts to say "this isn't real" then you will get a number of people say "you're wrong, it is real" but what if deep down inside you have insight that maybe others don't have and can see how false this apparent real thing is but everybody around you sees different.

Our realities are very often based upon the words of others-and just because a million people say this is real is doesn't mean that it is so.

It's true what you say Glorymist about you have to know who you are dealing with...

It's funny how when if you're different as a person who thinks outside the box and you are in an environment full of people who are like each other and behave almost as if they were clones, you would consider the environment and the people as being surreal or unreal-but these people are what reality is according to a lot of people...when you're really down, you see what you would normally percieve as reality but is seems so unreal as life seems to pass you by, nothing is real anymore-and yet when you return back to normal the very environment that was unreal becomes reality...

So it seems that when, for example, you are down, you actually see the real reality-of how the world really is(as in a mass lie/far removed from reality etc) but when your fortune or luck changes, you become more immune to what the world really is like and start to see the things that were unreal to you as reality...

Another point that you make Glorymist is about most great men and women and imagination. Now amogst these people would be great thinkers, ie: Rumi, Khayyam etc who did have inner dreams and did not see reality as others saw it, but saw it as some kind of a facade and saw it as unreal...

It's true that this is one dilemma that does not have any solid, concrete correct answer...

I was just curious about what others thought about fantasy/reality as I sometimes have trouble defining the two...
Old 24-10-2006, 03:16 AM
BLAIR2BE

well then, this subject has just become quite vast...ill have to come back to this one (if i can find the words)....
this one has potential;)
Old 24-10-2006, 11:00 AM
ljepotica

Hello guys,

Yes it is a pretty vast subject isn't it?

I just go off into my own world on this subject, it's something that I have thought about for some time, and wanted to discuss with others on what they felt...but I do tend to ramble sometimes:p

I look forward to hearing from you people:)

Maybe there is potential with this one...lol
Old 24-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Glorymist

ljepotica - - you are right. What is real to one is unreal to another. What is real to a 3rd grader is unreal to a high school graduate. The concept holds true on up until the far reaches of Truth Itself.

What you addressed here is the uneasiness that swept thru this board recently - - and does so thru other boards as well.

I was just recently in IM
Old 24-10-2006, 10:31 PM
auricman

i belive that fantasy is most often just things that reside in other realms. like dragons or some kind of fantasy things. most of them live in other realms. and we get the ideas of them by visiting them while we sleep.

Last edited by auricman : 24-10-2006 at 11:55 PM.
Closed Thread