Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Old 17-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Stillness_Speaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
I agree.

What we may consider ''free will'' is those moments where we have options or choices. But these options and choices are always limited and determined by various phenomena; the influence of others, the environment, past experiences. Within choice itself there is limitation.

Ahh.. that explains a lot to my limited mind. Thanks.
Old 17-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Master
What's interesting to me is that most people tend to think they have to choose one or the other... Either everything is predetermined or nothing is.

My view is, most of what we live with in our bodies and the universe is according to predetermined structure and pattern... and there are some choices we may make.

For instance, right now you can shift your attention from where it is, and what you're feeling / experiencing in that, to something else... another idea or image or feeling.

In that shift your reality of the moment is changed. That's free will.

Develop a habit of keeping your attention where you want it - such as in the quiet of your inner self, perhaps - and your ongoing reality is changed.

Free will.

Xan

Last edited by Xan : 17-02-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 17-02-2012, 11:03 PM
amy green

So true Xan. Phrased simply and beautifully!
Old 17-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Quintessence

Was shifting attention an uncaused choice?
Old 17-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humm
I always look at these philosophies as confessions of feelings of complete powerlessness by the authors.

So interesting, how we have the power to do that.

Here's what I call a huge derision, but note, this person also holds the philosophy that one can only see themselves projected.
Old 17-02-2012, 11:13 PM
StrawberryFieldsForever

All choices are still influenced by what has happened in our environment, what is happening in our environment, and what we predict will happen. For example as Xan says,

"or instance, right now you can shift your attention from where it is, and what you're feeling / experiencing in that, to something else... another idea or image or feeling.

In that shift your reality of the moment is changed. That's free will."

You are still only shifting your attention because you read my message.

Even the thoughts you think, are influenced, even if it is by your own mind. It has still been conditioned by the environment that way to think the way it does.

All things that happen in your life are action:reaction, predetermined, imminent but unknown.

It is the dance of life.

Either way it's still completely out of our control, Life goes on within us, and without us always.

It is the big picture, everything just happens by itself, it always has and always will.

The human mind likes to think it is in control, it is a delusion.

Our minds have been so useful for our survival in the past that we have given them complete control over our lives. They keep us from living in The Present, the now. They keep us from becoming one with life, from oneness.

Nearly all of the life that we receive through our senses is blocked, filtered, interpreted and stored away without letting us really experience it.

Example: Your sense of sight sees a rose, instead of that rose coming to you as all it really is, It is immediately labelled as "rose", then stored as away as a memory without letting you truly experience it's beauty.

This was necessary for our survival, and our evolution to take control of a dangerous and hostile world. But it is now unnecessary. This keeps you from the now. And you live with a greater awareness of the past and future. The Present moment is pure bliss.

All you have to do, is see the truth of life. Once again, Go to TruthContest(dot)com and open The Present.

It will tell you the truth, and if you do not agree, I would love to hear your opinion , I am very open to discussion.
Old 17-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintessence
Was shifting attention an uncaused choice?

In the other sense if you were in the next room and I yelled out your name, with no choice involved at all, it comes to your attention.
Old 17-02-2012, 11:24 PM
StrawberryFieldsForever

The only choice you have is to see life as it is, or to keep living in the illusion that you are an all powerful human that can twist and manipulate the laws of the universe. And that in itself isn't really a choice, predetermined.
Old 17-02-2012, 11:29 PM
StrawberryFieldsForever

“Everything is determined…by forces over which we have no control. It is determined for the insect as well as for the star. Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust—we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible piper.” - Albert Einstein
Old 17-02-2012, 11:57 PM
amy green

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFieldsForever
“Everything is determined…by forces over which we have no control. It is determined for the insect as well as for the star. Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust—we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible piper.” - Albert Einstein

Ah yes, Einstein (the determinist). He didn't believe in a soul either did he? To quote him (5 February 1921):-
"since our inner experiences consist of reproductions and combinations of sensory impressions, the concept of a soul without a body seems to me to be empty and devoid of meaning."