Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 27-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by firenwater
Sometimes, when I am really feeling hurt about something, and I'll be listening to a song particularly a christian song, I feel something, like a presence that's not me . It brings me to tears, its comforting and powerful. Way more powerful than just me. Does anyone else have these surreal experiences? I think some might describe it as a stripping away of ego too, like connecting with your soul ..

firenwater,

I have them all the time. It is powerful especially for those that have grown up in the church. Think about it. For many of us, the singing of hymns was our only active and vocal participation in a church service......other than the recitation of the Lord's Prayer. And song is the easiest means of memorization.......so many of these hymns are deeply embedded in our minds. As we grew older, oftentimes, the meaning of the songs became clearer and clearer and we grew to understand the relevance and meaning of them. It is always our memory of things that brings life to that which comes from the past. That is why the words of "This do in remembrance of me" spoken at the communion table are intended to bring Christ to life in our experience of the Lord's Supper.

Some of you that are familiar with old hymns might remember some of these lyrics to a hymn:

"Precious Memories"

Precious mem'ries, unseen angels
Sent from somewhere to my soul
How they linger, ever near me
As the sacred past unfold.

Precious mem'ries, how they linger
How they ever flood my soul
In the stillness of the midnight
Precious, sacred scenes unfold.

As I travel on life's pathway
I know not what the years may hold
And as I ponder, hope grows fonder