Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 03-10-2015, 05:13 PM
Administrator
'ego nullus diutius terror'

some interesting things about ego.

ego.. here w-ego again....

I listened to a talk last night that compared the ego to a 'stealth bomber', in that it cannot always be picked up on the inner radar.

It was also compared to a mosquito. You think you have it between your palms and then when you open them - it is no longer there. It is 'out there'! Ready to get you again!!

Ego the great houdini the master of disguise.
God bless us all and protect us from its machinations.

'ego nullus diutius terror' (in brackets for googling)
Latin for... 'I no longer fear'.
Its a strange coincidence that the English letter I is associated with the word ego in Latin !!!
Its also alarming to see the word terror in the same sentence as ego.
Could this be ego terror.
It Sends shivers down my spine

A dying ego

My thoughts...
An uncharted mind is controled by the ego through fear and is always in constant battle for recognition or identiy of self, it uses the mind as a creative tool to create a world of illusion based on the fear of the unkown... your real identity, which is the first real death. There are many other livable deaths such as desire, anger, lust, and most other recognised sins that humans are capable of that come and go with the wims of the egotic mind. It is easy for me to write down, but the ego never realy dies, just as one goes from one situation in life to another, where all posible exists are blocked, there is only one way to go... straight through your worst fears... a dying ego. You still live, but with a new perspective on life and one that is liberating. Just before the ego 'dies' there is a darkness, total fear, complete hoplessness, unbelivable lonleyness, just imagine the worst case of depression and that wont come close to it. You then end up giving in to everything and allowing every aspect of your 'ego itentity' to disolve. I can only describe the after effect as a silence, a stillness, an emptyness. a nothingness, peace and tranquility and above all a sence of endless compassion and love that can not be denied or held. Words cant give it credit realy but I am 100% sure of the experience.

Welcome to the spiritual death that Jesus spoke of: "At first you will be disturbed, then you will be amazed, and then you will reign over all."

You met the "Nothing". No you, no God, no anything within you. You will need guidance from no one now. You are free of yourself, and as for the ego, you see it for what it is not.
I have found that "I" am but the "Awareness" of this "moment" of "Now". You will find that is Heaven.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:00 PM
Master
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart
some interesting things about ego.

ego.. here w-ego again....

I listened to a talk last night that compared the ego to a 'stealth bomber', in that it cannot always be picked up on the inner radar.

It was also compared to a mosquito. You think you have it between your palms and then when you open them - it is no longer there. It is 'out there'! Ready to get you again!!

Ego the great houdini the master of disguise.
God bless us all and protect us from its machinations.

'ego nullus diutius terror' (in brackets for googling)
Latin for... 'I no longer fear'.
Its a strange coincidence that the English letter I is associated with the word ego in Latin !!!
Its also alarming to see the word terror in the same sentence as ego.
Could this be ego terror.
It Sends shivers down my spine

A dying ego

My thoughts...
An uncharted mind is controled by the ego through fear and is always in constant battle for recognition or identiy of self, it uses the mind as a creative tool to create a world of illusion based on the fear of the unkown... your real identity, which is the first real death. There are many other livable deaths such as desire, anger, lust, and most other recognised sins that humans are capable of that come and go with the wims of the egotic mind. It is easy for me to write down, but the ego never realy dies, just as one goes from one situation in life to another, where all posible exists are blocked, there is only one way to go... straight through your worst fears... a dying ego. You still live, but with a new perspective on life and one that is liberating. Just before the ego 'dies' there is a darkness, total fear, complete hoplessness, unbelivable lonleyness, just imagine the worst case of depression and that wont come close to it. You then end up giving in to everything and allowing every aspect of your 'ego itentity' to disolve. I can only describe the after effect as a silence, a stillness, an emptyness. a nothingness, peace and tranquility and above all a sence of endless compassion and love that can not be denied or held. Words cant give it credit realy but I am 100% sure of the experience.

Welcome to the spiritual death that Jesus spoke of: "At first you will be disturbed, then you will be amazed, and then you will reign over all."

You met the "Nothing". No you, no God, no anything within you. You will need guidance from no one now. You are free of yourself, and as for the ego, you see it for what it is not.
I have found that "I" am but the "Awareness" of this "moment" of "Now". You will find that is Heaven.[/QUOTE]

When I read this heart, I remembered something important. Letting go and not being attached to anything but open to everything is a nice way to live and be.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 04-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Newbie ;)

Without samadhi you can't ever REALLY melt the illusion of self and let go.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:04 PM
Master
nice, Heart...enjoyed reading very much.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:54 PM
Master
When I think of the ego I don't really see it as a thing, an unto itself apartness, but tend towards a multiple of threads which might become somewhat tangled and indeed form the knot which might be construed as 'ego' but isn't really anything except a kind of naming after the fact.

I then don't see it as entirely beneficial to keep seeing it in the sense of otherness alike we might want to rid a house of dirt but it is really just always accumulating dust and while you might in some intellectual way be able to collectivise all this dust into dirt as a thing it still remains dust spread out and all over the place.

Because I live out in the backyard in a shelter I have constructed myself and the doors are always open and spiders always build webs and cats always lie about and shed fur so I'm almost outside. as it were, with a thin covering to keep off the elements but affront of me is a proper house where my mother lives and this has fully closing windows and doors, and carpets and rugs, and screen doors and curtains... and all that other stuff which almost always needs cleaning.

Dirt isn't so terrible. It's always there and has a use.... so why fight it?
Old 04-10-2015, 08:28 PM
Master
I have experienced much ego death ,in many different forms and degrees ,I love that Jesus teaching and have just recently worked with that , I totally get what your saying scary as that can be cause you also need to release control of needing God to an extent and know that although we would not exist without Him we are his creation ,it seems he wants us to know our own spiritual power, that is creating love, though Jesus remains my fave teacher and many many other love based models ,I know I have to take full responsibility for myself and know that for every belief or ego projection there is another way and that is to truly listen and just hang in there through those deaths because at the otherside there will be new ways ,more condusive to creating an easier path of peace and harmony. For me though asking to hear God clearly and following his way cuts down alot of unessascary ego death cause he is already living the dream and we can live it to if we love and accept him......
Old 04-10-2015, 09:07 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Interesting
When I think of the ego I don't really see it as a thing, an unto itself apartness, but tend towards a multiple of threads which might become somewhat tangled and indeed form the knot which might be construed as 'ego' but isn't really anything except a kind of naming after the fact.
I've come to think of it as a social process, a product of interaction with whatever one is interacting. It gets bad press, I believe, partly because it's an old Freudian idea that does tend to place it as a thing or a constant state. But it's needed, to distinguish oneself from one's environs here while alive. Many, many people get through life without giving it much thought - as long as acknowledgement allows that distinction.

One relinquishes one's ego (that awareness though which distinguishing comes) at the onset of sleep. Were it not so familiar it would terrify people on the basis of the o/p's declaration. Indeed it could be the last someone sees of their life. But yes, a fear of dying is fear of the unknown, something even a gnostic feels.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:04 PM
Master
Sleeeep sorry just need it ,love it ,hope and pray for it, when your free of substances that help knock you out ,and feeling like your getting healthier by the second ,I feeling like those times that I cant sleep should be spent super duper constructively and so out of the nothingness comes creation.....:) in Jesus' name

Oh duality..I am at Peace with you...

I think Heart you are speaking of the Isness and that is a nice place indeed..
Old 05-10-2015, 12:12 AM
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVajraUtah
Without samadhi you can't ever REALLY melt the illusion of self and let go.

you may have to remind me the connection to samadhi and ego, as far as im aware ego is not the issue its just a tool to unfold the illusion before us, we become attached to responding to it, in attachment we see suffering
Old 05-10-2015, 12:36 AM
Knower

We all have a spark of the Divine within. It's opposite is Ego. This is beautifully illustrated by the cartoons with a little Devil on the left shoulder & an Angel on the right.
Ego is fed by the negative like pride, vanity, avarice, jealousy for e.g.
Ego is the 'adversary' that's mentioned in the OT before 'translators' changed the word to 'Devil'.