Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 19-04-2011, 02:12 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sphinx
I believed in Satan years ago.. and then I realized that such a being could just not be.

Although I didn't suffer from any of the problems listed above, my world view was a bit dark.

I can certainly say that my outlook is far more clear and joy filled since cutting that baggage loose from my mind.

Sphinx, I too was brought up with Satan being around, though not in the fundamentalist sense. Odd thing was, it never rang true with me. I didn't feel darkness in my world view. I just felt a bit lost. I knew it wasn't right. I just didn't know what was. Since my family isn't of the supportive type when it comes to spiritual seeking (they'll stick to what they grew up with and thought I should too), it took a long while (years) of seeking to find it. Mostly because I had no idea where to look.

And you're right about the results, my world is filled with love and joy in everyone and everything.
Old 19-04-2011, 05:51 AM
Mountain-Goat

Quote:
Can the belief in Satan cause mental illness in some people? Think about it, many times when a person has a break down or some sort of mental episode, Satan, demons and demonic possession often come into play one way or another.

I have seen reasonable, logical people get involved with religion and suddenly think that Satan and his minions are everywhere trying to get us all.

But the logical person already has the mental illness before believing in satan and demons.
Projecting the cause onto external sources cannot fix an internal problem.

Any belief has the potential to restrict or destroy a person's health.
Why single out a belief in religion?
How about believing that thoughts do not affect one's health?
Or believing self has no control over one's own life?
Or disease X is incurable.
Or I believe I am worthless so I believe I have no choice but to end my life.
Or, I will never be rid of this pain and I believe the only way to end my suffering is to end my life.

Why does a person believe such and such?
That question seems moe important to explore to help find a cure for a person's inner ailments than what they believe in.
However, what they believe in is important in that it gives one an indications of what's going on inside the person.
Old 19-04-2011, 07:19 AM
Master
Hi All .

I would say having foundations that are made of sand will always bring the house down . As soon as any energies that seem foreign to the Individual evade their comfort zone be It In the form of a devil or an alien or an elemental with horns protruding the scalp one’s mind / nervous system will be severely tested .

I spent many years building a solid foundation . The deeper ones roots the more likely they are able to whether a storm of any kind be It a test In strength a test In faith or whatever .

I questioned outwardly at times that no-thing much was happening In my experience of the other worlds .

When It did I realized the Importance of one having solid foundations .

x daz x
Old 19-04-2011, 07:39 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Can the belief in Satan cause mental illness in some people? Think about it, many times when a person has a break down or some sort of mental episode, Satan, demons and demonic possession often come into play one way or another.
It's not the cause of the mental illness but how it manifests itself. Echoes and reflections - Satan, demons etc are a reflection of what they have inside.

Quote:
Thus the mind that is divide between these two cosmic entities will suffer much and win few victories in this life.... it is a mind that is turned in on itself."
Just as the mind is divided within Duality. It's human nature to have limits and absolutes, so Satan is the absolute of all that is considered as bad/evil. Where else could that concept go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
I don't know if this is off topic but it seemed as though some churches would teach that there is a demon behind every bush or corner. Doesn't it diminish the power of God and increase the power of Satan by following this train of thought? Just wondering...???
Satan is out to get your tail, NightOwl. The only way for him not to get it is for you to follow my religion. :-) And while you're there, you also give me permission to use it as a stick to beat you with and allow me to control your every thought. It kind of makes you wonder who the basket-case really is, doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate Carpark
But the logical person already has the mental illness before believing in satan and demons.
Projecting the cause onto external sources cannot fix an internal problem.

Any belief has the potential to restrict or destroy a person's health.
Why single out a belief in religion?
How about believing that thoughts do not affect one's health?
Or believing self has no control over one's own life?
Or disease X is incurable.
Or I believe I am worthless so I believe I have no choice but to end my life.
Or, I will never be rid of this pain and I believe the only way to end my suffering is to end my life.

Why does a person believe such and such?
That question seems moe important to explore to help find a cure for a person's inner ailments than what they believe in.
However, what they believe in is important in that it gives one an indications of what's going on inside the person.

Most of these things are a way to understand our innermost fears, etc. Belief in Satan is a part of the Duality, some people believe in God and others believe there is a Satan. Good and evil are manifestations of Duality. Those demons inside of us can be a way for us to bring something we don't understand out from the darks depths of our minds and into the Light. Or we can blame them for getting us drunk. In the 'bigger picture', if so many people believe in God then isn't it logical that some believe in Satan? If you hear the voice of Satan in your head you have a mental illness, but if you hear the word of God you're a saint. To me, there's something not quite right with that.

Belief is everything, Alternate. Most people believe those things because they believe they have reached a limit of some description. They have all the answers they think they can find so they stop there. Maybe any word with similar meaning to 'ultimate' or 'absolute' should be scrubbed from the dictionaries.

Satan is out to get us, the same as God will save us. Let your thoughts and actions vibrate at the lower frequencies and the devil will get you for sure. Let your thoughts resonate at the higher frequencies and you will see 'the Light'. Harp-twanging and fluffy clouds, anyone?

What makes a belief healthy or unhealthy? Belief in Satan can be very healthy, because it can make for good people. Belief in God can be very unhealthy, especially if you're sitting waiting to be saved by God instead of getting out of the dangerous situation. So many people sitting around waiting for God to save them and put the world to rights. If that was going to happen wouldn't he have done it already? Maybe God wants you to get up off your tail and make a difference, and finally realise that "We are the Ones We have been waiting for".
Old 19-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Master
Yes, it can. And the belief in a Satan or devil is similar to a belief in the ego. They can be used as scapegoats for all things and thoughts you don't like.
It may cause schizophrenia..
Old 19-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Mind's Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
The Sphinx - I once read a book called "Demons in the World Today." It was not for entertainment purposes but for education as it was recommended to me by a nun who worked in a bookstore. I read it at a time when I was very impressionable and vulnerable. By the time I got done reading it I was scared half out of my mind. Like Triner was talking about, my focus went from looking for love in the world to looking for all the evils that exist in the world. I became obsessed with evil and whether or not it was real or just something my mind could produce. The book had me convinced demons ran rampant. I admit I started to have some mental anguish. In the end I just turned away from the book, threw it in the trash and refocused my mind on all the goodness in the world. That was just my experience. You have to be selective as to what you let into your awareness.

Blackraven

I can really relate to your story Raven... I was struggling with my old religious views when I walked into a Catholic bookstore one day... A conversation started up with the guy behind the counter and I began to speak frankly with him about my questions and struggles... needless to say he recommended several books in the store for me to read..

After reading these books, (which were scarier than the exorcist movie,) I was completely beside myself and had the mental anguish you spoke of.

Needless to say... I destroyed the books and threw them in the trash... And that was the beginning of the major turn around for me spiritually.
Old 19-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Mind's Eye

Quote:
I don't know if this is off topic but it seemed as though some churches would teach that there is a demon behind every bush or corner. Doesn't it diminish the power of God and increase the power of Satan by following this train of thought? Just wondering...???

You are absolutely correct nightowl... Most Christians have more fear of Satan than they have faith in God.

Some churches preach more about the power of the devil and God is like the second rate power in the universe.
Old 20-04-2011, 04:34 AM
Mountain-Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
Belief is everything, Alternate.
~smiles~ I seriously and joyfully doubt that claim Greenslade.
Old 20-04-2011, 04:53 AM
Blaze

Quote:
The big funny mistake almost all the abrahamic religions does at the first place is that they say God is omniscience and omnipotence, yet they claim that Satan is God's enemy! How a omniscience and omnipotence could ever be challenged by any other force? If there is ever a Satan s/he/it surely works under the command of God.

It's not just the belief in Satan that may cause mental illness. It's about anything that is beyond our understanding. God as well. Humans fear what they don't understand. That's why they always try to make up figures about the things like God and Satan.
Old 20-04-2011, 04:58 AM
badgervillarreal

I believe that there is a Satan, and yes..our fears can cause anxiety. There are bad spiritual entities that roam this earth but there are also angels and God. It is funny how things happen..Just recently I started reading Gods word and feeling very close to him and last night while laying in bed I felt very uncomfortable and felt like someone was starring at me. I dozed off and had a horrible nightmare and heard hard breathing in my ear..what a crazy night!