Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 20-02-2013, 02:17 AM
Knower

Does watching sad movies lower one's vibration?

For most of my life, I have felt very little compassion, empathy, nor love for most other people. I was, for a long time, completely desensitized to violence.

I have recently been working on my heart chakra, which seems to be helping. I today watched on YouTube a clip from the very sad movie, "Marly and Me," as well as a video about a dying dog. I weeped uncontrollably. I had basically not cried in many, many years. I think that this definitely is a positive sign.

My question is, is watching such things beneficial to me? Might it be ultimately lowering my vibration? If so, it is it a tradeoff, given how it has helped me feel for others?
Old 20-02-2013, 02:48 AM
Master
I think it would be great therapy for you, there is nothing wrong watching sad movies that make you cry, to me its an art. We know its not real, its when we cross that line that I think it could be a hazard. Just like violent movies, I also like them, I know that its just a movie, it doesn't make me want to grab a gun and shot everyone lol, but again if you cross that line it can be dangerous, but those type of people are going to be violent anyway, watching the movie or not.
Old 20-02-2013, 02:55 AM
Master

Crying is good for the soul - releasing pent up emotions helps to let them out. I know it is not perceived to be manly, but both the men in my life (husband, son) cry and they are very manly, but also in touch with their feelings (which girls really like, by the way).

I wouldn't worry about lowering your vibration. You are getting in touch with your feelings, and they can be all over the place on different subjects. When you release resistance (crying) about a subject, try to think a little better feeling thought than the one you have about it and let it be for awhile. Think about something else. The next time you think about it, your vibration will be a bit higher. You really can't raise your vibration more than a bit at a time, says she who has done a lot of that last year LOL, but if you always leave it by thinking just a little better thought, it will rise naturally.
Old 20-02-2013, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph123
For most of my life, I have felt very little compassion, empathy, nor love for most other people. I was, for a long time, completely desensitized to violence.

I have recently been working on my heart chakra, which seems to be helping. I today watched on YouTube a clip from the very sad movie, "Marly and Me," as well as a video about a dying dog. I weeped uncontrollably. I had basically not cried in many, many years. I think that this definitely is a positive sign.

My question is, is watching such things beneficial to me? Might it be ultimately lowering my vibration? If so, it is it a tradeoff, given how it has helped me feel for others?

Joseph, good man! let the tears flow. You are right. The heart is opening like a flower. This is the effect of emotions you suppressed so long. Don't worry about "lowering your vibrations". Tears are like spring rain and wash away a lot of dryness inside our hearts.
But concentrating all the time on sad things...now that would be different. But I'm sure you don't do that.
Interesting how dogs come into it. They teach us so much, wordlessly, about how to love and open the Heart and Soul.
Marley and Me -great little movie
Old 20-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Terracotta

I watch sad movies and deliberately expose myself to sad people, and have built up a tolerance to the second. As far as I'm concerned, something that connects me to and allows me to try to reach other real, suffering people and makes me more emotionally aware is of incomparable importance next to things like vibrations and chakras.
Old 20-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Greenslade

I think watching movies that spur emotion in you are raising your vibrations, not lowering them. When we become engrossed in a movie it's as though we're really there and it's been scientifically shown that often when we watch certain kinds of movies or play games, chemicals are released in the brain as though we're having the experience. The trick here is awareness that you're engrossed in the movie and it's having this effect on you, the next thing is what are you going to do with it? Perhaps the movie isn't real but how it makes you feel at that time can feel pretty real, perhaps there's a lesson in there somewhere. If you want to understand Spirit then you have to think like Spirit, and perhaps being engrossed in a movie is an insight to understanding Spirit on this human Journey. Putting you in touch with your emotions isn't a bad thing, what can be bad is what you do with them next. If a sad movie make you bawl your eyes out then you know you have them, but if a violent movie makes you want to run around with a shotgun then.......
Old 20-02-2013, 10:59 AM
DontBeAfraidEVER

Perception is key =)
Old 20-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
Joseph, good man! let the tears flow. You are right. The heart is opening like a flower. This is the effect of emotions you suppressed so long. Don't worry about "lowering your vibrations". Tears are like spring rain and wash away a lot of dryness inside our hearts.
But concentrating all the time on sad things...now that would be different. But I'm sure you don't do that.
Interesting how dogs come into it. They teach us so much, wordlessly, about how to love and open the Heart and Soul.
Marley and Me -great little movie

The other thing that I happened to watch was a news clip. It featured a man who adopted a dog as a puppy, now 15. The animal had crippling arthritis and hip dysplasia. It was on the verge of being put down. The only way in which the dog could sleep was when the owner carried it into the sea and held it there, floating atop the water - relieving the otherwise incessant. In that state, it would sleep for hours.
Old 20-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Master
Hi Joseph. Movies don't connect you with real life, you have to understand that first off IMO. I would suggest you volunteer at a homeless shelter etc. if you want to develop compassion and empathy. Plus you'd be adding something to peoples' lives, something you don't do when watching movies.

As for lowering vibrations: there are spiritual ideas out there that speak of visual media (movies, film, TV) as hardened, dead, shadow-imagery. Again, it's not real. You're watching "what was," which removes you from "what is." Even as an art form, it doesn't allow the human being to dream into it, in the way viewing a painting does, for example. I would never say watching movies lowers one's vibrations. But as I said, there are definitely higher ways of connecting with your feeling life if that's what you're looking to do.
Old 21-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Knower

With regard to releasing a lifetime's worth of emotions, as someone suggested... Over the past couple of days, I have encountered a very insignificant amount of stress as a result of my schoolwork.

Since my awakening began six months ago or what have you, I have essentially not used a swear word nor raised my voice, even in my own mind. For the past couple of days, using that stress caused by schoolwork as the only possible reason for it, I have been going haywire: Swearing, screaming, punching things - completely out of character. Is this a sign of my heart chakra opening and releasing a lifetime's worth of pent-up emotions?