Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 25-01-2012, 11:25 PM
Animus27

Imbolc

Imbolc/Oimelc or Lá Fhéile Bride, is a old Celtic holiday usually celebrated in late January and early February. It's associated with the first signs of spring, and the name Imbolc is connected with the word oimelc, which means 'ewe's milk' and refers to when ewes begin lactating in the early spring.

The festival is closely tied to St. Bride, who is said to visit homes on the evening of Lá Fhéile Bride and bless the home if she is pleased by the housekeeping. And one can tell whether she can been by examining footprints in the fireplace ashes left during the night - if none are found it's said to be an unlucky omen.

Another tradition is that the hag Cailleach imprisons Bride and thus winter ensues. During Lá Fhéile Bride she travels out and gathers fire wood. If she plans on creating a long winter she makes the day sunny, so she can hoard a lot of wood. If it's going to be a shorter winter, she lets it rain or snow. This tradition is related to the American Groundhog Day, which uses a groundhog instead of a hag.

Due to the close connections between the Saint Bride/Brigit and the pre-Christian goddess Brighid, many Celtic pagans and Wiccans celebrate this holiday in some form or another. Making offerings to the Lady, performing divination and feasting.

So, anyone doing something for Imbolc?
Old 26-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Seeker

Nice post Animus :)

I am a casual observer . I always light my candles then plant my seeds on Imbolc for spring planting. Weather permitting ie snow isn`t too deep to get to the bon pit, we have a bon fire and refreshments.

A Gaelic Proverb

"The serpent will come from the hole
On the brown Day of Bride,
Though there should be three feet of snow
On the flat surface of the ground"

Of course, in the U.S. it is the groundhog now.
Blessings, jalini
Old 27-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalini
Nice post Animus :)

I am a casual observer . I always light my candles then plant my seeds on Imbolc for spring planting. Weather permitting ie snow isn`t too deep to get to the bon pit, we have a bon fire and refreshments.

A Gaelic Proverb

"The serpent will come from the hole
On the brown Day of Bride,
Though there should be three feet of snow
On the flat surface of the ground"

Of course, in the U.S. it is the groundhog now.
Blessings, jalini
I love the proverb!

I plan on starting many a seed as well. Along with doing an enormous amount of baking. We've had an extremely temperate winter here (read: practically no hard frosts) so I am probably celebrating the seasonal Imbolc a little late. Since spring already seems to be coming along in some respects. Makes me regret I don't have a couple dozen head of sheep to time it properly
Old 27-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Seeker

Thumbs up

We have had a kind winter as well and many days feel like spring already.

I have llamas and goats but no sheep. Now you got me thinking ...
Old 28-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalini
We have had a kind winter as well and many days feel like spring already.

I have llamas and goats but no sheep. Now you got me thinking ...
I would love to have some goats someday. They are AWESOME.
Old 29-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
I would love to have some goats someday. They are AWESOME.

In my "SPECIAL" place, there is a small herd of feral goats
Old 30-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
In my "SPECIAL" place, there is a small herd of feral goats
Goaties!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:07 PM
LadyTerra

Greetings Everyone:

I live in the country and many of the farms in my area use their Goats to mow the grass--so it is very common to see all sorts of Goats around here!

I will be celebrating Imbolc--bright and early tomorrow morning.

Peace and Love on the path of your choice...

Blessed be...
Old 02-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Seeker

Happy planting all.

Blessed Be!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Quintessence

I honor the Solar Festivals throughout their tide, but on the day of (which for me is today since I calculate the cross-quarters astronomically) I make candles. Well, mostly I have spent the day melting down remains of old candles I have collected over the year and producing votives with them. My last batch has been the best so far, since it was unscented remainders and I could add new essential oils to it. Frankincense + Myrrh + Ylang Ylang + Wild Chamomile. Smells great!