Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 28-04-2015, 02:01 AM
seeking.sunshine

The Beginning of My Journey

Hello there!

I am brand new to this site and have recently started my spiritual journey. About a month ago I picked up The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. Wow! This book has changed my life. I see everything in a new light. At first, it was difficult to live in the present moment but I find it easier and easier everyday.

I have a newly found love for myself. I am so positive and optimistic. This is a HUGE change considering I have struggled with depression throughout much of my life. Not only have a noticed a major change in my thought process, but I've also noticed how negative the rest of the world is, which is such a bummer! Most people I know think I'm crazy and too happy but I honestly don't think it's possible to be too happy. My heart is sad for these people.

Anyway, I'm only a month into my journey and have a lot to learn. I would love to hear your stories. What have been your biggest struggles? What have been your biggest accomplishments? Do you have bad days (something I haven't experienced in the past 2 weeks)? How did your spiritual journey begin? I would love to hear your answers to these and anything else you have: advice, warnings, encouragements, etc.

I would love to hear from you and get to know more people who are spiritual, happy and living in the now. Thanks!!

So much peace and love.
Old 28-04-2015, 01:29 PM
Deactivated Account

That is a great book, I read it myself. :)

I think Tolle's book or the words he's written are interlaced with some sort of energetic imprint to help awaken people... just something I've noticed....

I'm so happy for you, it's great you've come to this stage in your spiritual journey :)

But as you said, there's still a lot to learn. The first thing important to note is that when integrating new energy, you will go through highs and lows. It sounds like you're experiencing the first high, and I'm saying this to you as you were asking for warnings, don't think there is anything wrong with you if the high fades and leaves you feeling terrible again :) It's a normal part of the process of facing our demons and coming to peace with ourselves.

And I would say that's usually the biggest struggle, seeing our ugly parts and accepting them, it's a life long journey.

Biggest accomplishment... hmm, coming to a greater peace within myself :)

My journey began probably many years ago as I was being prepared but it didn't officially start till May to September 2013 when two members of my soul family triggered it in me.

Been lots of ups and downs since then but I've evened out more over time... life does get more joyful overall, even when sometimes it doesn't seem like it. :)
Old 28-04-2015, 02:22 PM
luntrusreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeking.sunshine

I would love to hear your answers to these and anything else you have: advice, warnings, encouragements, etc.

"The Power of Now" was my first contact with "spirituality" too ;) It had a similar effect back then and I am really grateful I read it.

But after a while there might be a trap...the pressure to always live in the now and be present. At least I felt that after a while.
I had this crazy idea that enlightenment is a state of 24/7-presence and I could work my way up to it
This is not the case and it's a small criticism I have about Eckharts teaching that it gives off the impression you can practice and practice and at somepoint there is enlightenment if you're just present enough.
Enlightenment has absolutely nothing to do with being present or mindful.
It is completely fine to not be present just as much as being present.
Being present happens when it happens, zoning out or getting lost in thought is fine, too.

Life is whatever arises. If it arises as feeling stuck, not progressing on your spiritual path then that's what happens.
If it arises as mindfully washing dishes , then that is what arises.
etc. etc.

So life is not only found in presence, although it might improve the quality of life relatively speaking, so its great you found the book and I think Eckhart Tolle is a great starting point.
He is very practical , although he doesn't really go deeper than being a self-help book which is fine!
Otherwise it wouldn't be accepted by the mainstream.

What do you want out of your spiritual journey?
Enlightenment? A better quality of life?
More productivity?

These questions if honestly answered can already trigger something else you can work with.
Old 28-04-2015, 03:46 PM
Kamila

Welcome i love ur post
Old 28-04-2015, 05:05 PM
Deactivated Account
Hi and welcome! That book was the catalyst for my spiritual journey too, alongside reiki which I've always been drawn to. It's funny but after my divorce a marriage guidance counsellor recommended an alternative practitioner who in turn recommended that book....the rest is history...years ago.

I'm so happy to hear you feel so positive, that is a great start for you. My journey has been rough, and remains so at times, but I also feel a greater sense of peace as a result of it.

I hope you find what you need here.
Old 28-04-2015, 05:40 PM
Experiencer
Enlightenment is a very flexible word in spiritual discussions. Part of the path, I think, is trying to figure out a meaning of it that aids you in reaching somewhere. If someone tells you what enlightenment is at beforehand, I would be careful. That is my advice.
Old 29-04-2015, 06:14 AM
Master
I've never read anything by Eckhart Tolle. The book that really opened by eyes was a book called "Awareness" by Osho. I was actually looking for a book that would help me to be more aware on the streets for self defense purposes. But as i read it, i realized it had nothing to do with that. If anything i disliked the book because a lot of what was written went against everything i believed in. I found myself having these constant mental arguments in my head against his words. Little by little I slowly started to question my beliefs, my relationship with my family, my purpose in life, my reason for working, etc. I was a young man who was a devoted Catholic, trying to make my family proud and fit in with society and yet that book pulled the rug from underneath me only to have me fall flat on my face. That book indeed changed my life. Gratefully so.

Quote:
What have been your biggest struggles?

Dealing with fear.
Quote:
What have been your biggest accomplishments?

Quitting my job, moving down south to live my dream life.

Quote:
Do you have bad days (something I haven't experienced in the past 2 weeks)?

I suppose we all do.

Quote:
I would love to hear your answers to these and anything else you have: advice, warnings, encouragements, etc.

When it comes to spirituality it is very easy to deceive yourself and let it get to your head. Here is a quote that explains it better:

"As soon as man awakens for a moment and opens his eyes, all the forces that caused him to fall asleep begin to act upon him with tenfold energy and he immediately falls asleep again, very often dreaming that he is awake or is awakening." - George Gurdjieff
Old 30-04-2015, 08:56 PM
Master
I think I'm going to be reading the 'power of now' again which would possibly be a fourth or a fifth time which might mean I'm a very slow learner but the simple truth is that each time I go back I discover deeper meaning within what is written in the book. I give myself time and space, as it were, to adjust how I've understood it one time through and watched and felt how things have become then I've gone back in and, low and behold, what I thought might be had deeper and more profound implications.

And I'm glad of that but it's also been a bit sad reflecting back on those people I've known who've read it once and become saved, learned the language of it's statements of intent, then somehow devolved back to being regular petty ego maniacs but with the camouflage of truth speak!

But that doesn't matter... that's just the way it is. Our job isn't to just smile but to put in the time with our subconscious selves and make that smile so deep and so wide it eats up the whole world in laughter and joy!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:26 AM
Pathfinder
I am happy you are enjoying your journey so far :)

I too am on the path to greater happiness having read Eckharts book.

I will post about my experiences sometime soon

enjoy
Old 03-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Master
Tolle has been a key influence on many people. But the message of "the Now" has definitely been presented by others before Tolle. J. Krishnamurti and Alan Watts are two authors who just happen to come to mind at the moment.

I went from reading these authors to a modest use of entheogens (over a short span of my life), and from there to daily sitting meditation... That made for increased daily calm, and also I then recognized what a number of my warped, or blocked, or inappropriate reactive and emotional patterns were. Luckily, I not only received some Reiki sessions but got attuned to Reiki, which made for a huge breakthrough (it seemed to be just what I needed at the time... don't know that everyone would experience the same 'rebirth' from it).

Kundalini woke up during this time.

I became enthused about energetic healing/growth systems in general, and explored a couple others, including Eric Scott Pearl's "Reconnective Healing". I'm now mainly working with some Daoist (or Taoist) based inner practices.

The path is never-ending.