Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 20-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Master
Psychoslice

I don't think the point is that nothing dies, killing is a big disruption for the entity, I suppose it is like suddenly being evicted from your comfy home because someone else wants quick pleasure from it.
Old 20-04-2013, 02:55 PM
TThor

Knightofalbion

If you permit... it has been scientifically proven a while ago that plants react to the environment, for example to the intentions of someone approaching, etc. I do believe that they are animated, i.e. that they have a soul. So yes, I believe that they feel "pain", although maybe not the way we do.

I don't believe that this question is all black or white, but shades of gray. By killing an animal we do "hurt" this animal, and by killing a plant too. It is just a question of which is the lesser "drastic". And by that I do not mean to say that we should be vegan or not; I just want to share my point of view... all is shades of gray. Who can live without killing? We would have to eat bodies that are already dead, like dried already-dead herbs, etc. Even when breathing, we kill bacteria, like one Swami was saying.

It's not an easy question.
Old 20-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofalbion
On the subject of plants. They don't have souls, whereas animals do. They certainly do possess a degree of consciousness though.

But as they lack a central nervous system it would seem logical that they do not feel pain.

That being said, when we look back, say, 400 hundred years, man had written wonderful works of literature, created astonishingly beautiful works of art, constructed amazing buildings, bridges and monuments - and yet his consciousness did not accept that black people had souls or were really human beings like the Europeans. But we know better now.
Maybe in future times we will have a greater understanding of plants and how they respond to their environment - and us.

Certainly, in the spiritual veganism advocated in the 'First Blessing' the instruction is to eat of the fruits of the earth, which does not involve the destruction of the plant.

TThor: I refer you to what I wrote in an earlier post.

Were it to be established that plants had souls, that would certainly be a game changer, just as establishing that animals have souls. When that point of consciousness is reached it transforms one's view of the world.

Experience and wisdom has taught me to rule nothing out. Plants do not occur in NDEs though - lots of pets and individualsed wild animals have, but no plants. Which would seem to suggest that they aren't on an evolutionary path.

Perhaps they are an expression of consciousness that 'serves' by providing sustenance and expressing the beauty of the Divine on the earth plane?

Silver Birch I believe it was said that flowers in the spirit world are larger and of a much greater colour and vibrancy than here, and can be made to bloom and grow by the power of loving thought.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 21-04-2013, 01:05 AM
Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TThor
Knightofalbion

If you permit... it has been scientifically proven a while ago that plants react to the environment, for example to the intentions of someone approaching, etc. I do believe that they are animated, i.e. that they have a soul. So yes, I believe that they feel "pain", although maybe not the way we do.

I don't believe that this question is all black or white, but shades of gray. By killing an animal we do "hurt" this animal, and by killing a plant too. It is just a question of which is the lesser "drastic". And by that I do not mean to say that we should be vegan or not; I just want to share my point of view... all is shades of gray. Who can live without killing? We would have to eat bodies that are already dead, like dried already-dead herbs, etc. Even when breathing, we kill bacteria, like one Swami was saying.

It's not an easy question.

Exactly! It is an unfair double standard IMO. Everything on this planet dies, the plants, animals, mountains, whole continental plates, the atmosphere, oceans, and even the planet itself. Things need energy to survive, and life has adapted to aquiring energy though eating other life. When you die your body is broken down and re constituted into the biosphere. No different from every atom in your body was created when a star died and sent its matter across space.
Old 21-04-2013, 01:17 AM
Mr.Whitmore

I was told once that the plants of this planet are the earth's nervous system.

the plant may not feel the pain.....but the planet does?
Old 21-04-2013, 02:13 AM
Master
Well no pain, no gain lol.
Old 21-04-2013, 02:15 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podshell
Psychoslice

I don't think the point is that nothing dies, killing is a big disruption for the entity, I suppose it is like suddenly being evicted from your comfy home because someone else wants quick pleasure from it.
It not just pleasure, its survival lol.
Old 21-04-2013, 02:16 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofalbion
'We' were given the fruit, but 'we' took the meat - and turned ourselves into savages. We did a terrible wrong.
That's your story, that's your belief.
Old 21-04-2013, 02:18 AM
Mr.Whitmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
Well no pain, no gain lol.

lol...........well....if the planet actually does "feel"....I would probably use another word other than "Gain"
Old 21-04-2013, 02:52 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Whitmore
lol...........well....if the planet actually does "feel"....I would probably use another word other than "Gain"
No, when you see where it all started from, just a big pool of yucky stuff, and here we are, wow, what a big step that was, just imagine what we would have been feeding on back a million years ago.