Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 26-05-2016, 09:09 PM
Newbie ;)

Online Teachers - Possible or Necessary?

I will be going on a six month to one year retreat for meditation and was wondering if there was a way to get a meditation teacher? I have never been to a formal retreat, but I know that a portion of it is dedicated to speaking with a guide that can help you along your journey.

Is it something that is required or makes progress easier? Anyone have any incites they can share?
Old 26-05-2016, 09:09 PM
Newbie ;)

haha sorry that post did lacked some content and my reasoning behind what I am doing. Honestly though, I find it hard to put those reasons into words. At this time, I am about to turn 23, am not tied down to any particular location and thought it would be a perfect time to investigate where this experience might take me. I will be staying at my apartment for the first few months, then family for another one or two before heading to a campsite in California from September to April. All baring on the fact that progress can be made and it is still the right decision for me.

Earlier this year, I became curious about meditation and decided to dive right into it. I spent around four hours a day for a little over a month and was able to reach the first Jhana, understand quite a few aspects of my life, and experience after images that would arise in my vision immediately taking me to Jhana or Access Concentration. I believe that more time and tad more isolation is necessary to adequately explore all avenues.

I ask this question because I have read quite extensively the literature, videos, and articles on the progression of meditation. The most crucial factor that seems to be expressed in each book is developing your ability to concentrate. With this - all else follows. But, I have not spoken to a teacher that has experience and can shed light on how to develop as others have, nor would I know where to find one.

Hopefully, this fills in some of the missing gaps. Thank you!
Old 27-05-2016, 09:14 AM
Guide
If You have questions to the point you can ask here or can ask me. I been meditator and now days often meditatoe I can solve your basic questions.

To basic meditation continue try initially can put you concentrate on the method, later it is automatic that absorbing everything you no need of concentrating coz concentration is automatic process by you.

If you do simple breathe meditation your entire focus and concentration is on breathe. avoiding mental chatting again and again, you will become master in concentrating very soon.

But it depends on which method you do.

coz Zazen is different from what I early one spoke to you.
Old 27-05-2016, 09:18 AM
Guide
Every thing in meditation need little time and and absorbing to become master in it.
Old 27-05-2016, 09:22 AM
Guide
Dhyana or dhyan means concentration, focus and attention yog means exercise.
Dhyan Yog means meditation, exercise of focus, concentration and attention.
Old 27-05-2016, 09:37 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfadaie
haha sorry that post did lacked some content and my reasoning behind what I am doing. Honestly though, I find it hard to put those reasons into words. At this time, I am about to turn 23, am not tied down to any particular location and thought it would be a perfect time to investigate where this experience might take me. I will be staying at my apartment for the first few months, then family for another one or two before heading to a campsite in California from September to April. All baring on the fact that progress can be made and it is still the right decision for me.

Earlier this year, I became curious about meditation and decided to dive right into it. I spent around four hours a day for a little over a month and was able to reach the first Jhana, understand quite a few aspects of my life, and experience after images that would arise in my vision immediately taking me to Jhana or Access Concentration. I believe that more time and tad more isolation is necessary to adequately explore all avenues.

I ask this question because I have read quite extensively the literature, videos, and articles on the progression of meditation. The most crucial factor that seems to be expressed in each book is developing your ability to concentrate. With this - all else follows. But, I have not spoken to a teacher that has experience and can shed light on how to develop as others have, nor would I know where to find one.

Hopefully, this fills in some of the missing gaps. Thank you!

Maybe something like a Vipassana retreat might set you up with the equanimity required for some serious meditation.
Old 27-05-2016, 02:37 PM
Master
Well I am biased, but I think my meditation teacher gives the best retreats! Also many parts of his workshops are online.
See my links below my signature for more info.
Old 27-05-2016, 09:02 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfadaie
I will be going on a six month to one year retreat for meditation and was wondering if there was a way to get a meditation teacher? I have never been to a formal retreat, but I know that a portion of it is dedicated to speaking with a guide that can help you along your journey.

Is it something that is required or makes progress easier? Anyone have any incites they can share?
IMO, you can't go wrong. All experiences are an invitation to go within and peel away the onion layers. Progress towards something that is already there is simply seeing and releasing what's covering it up.
Old 29-05-2016, 08:50 AM
Newbie ;)

Here are some questions - hopefully someone will be able to answer some of them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1) How does meditation outside effect the Jhana and Access Concentration? Is Jhana possible in the hot sun or wind? If you do achieve it - is it technically a harder Jhana because I would presume difficulty is impacted?

2) Walking Meditation and Jhana. Can you enter the first Jhana while doing walking meditation? How about with eyes open? How about with eyes closed? How about with eyes partly closed?

3) What are the differences between the after image(outline) created when staring at an object for a duration of time and then closing your eyes? Versus the after image that arises natural within the mind - fractal geometry and almost seemingly random objects that will suddenly materialize when you have your eyes closed? These objects seem to instantly drop you into access concentration... or are a result of Jhana and access concentration - not sure yet...

4) The first jhana - has anyone experienced these variations of it? Sometimes I will experience total bliss, another time I have experienced no body sensation, but did drop in the first jhana, another time I swear I dropped into Jhana, but experienced pain, another time I experienced a very dull sensation - almost like a bliss sensation that was incomplete.

These are the only things that come to my mind at the moment, but I am sure I have plenty of other questions.
Old 29-05-2016, 03:37 PM
Guide
1) How does meditation outside effect the Jhana and Access Concentration? Internal states, mental states, emotional states, effect access concentration far more than whether practicing inside or outside. Depending on your focal point will effect Jhana, in so far as nimattas arising, plus you're using this word broadly. When you get into higher Jhanas (level depending on who you follow or interpretation), inside vs. outside ceases to exist.
Is Jhana possible in the hot sun or wind? Yes, if you are practiced since you pull your senses inwards or reoriente them internally where there is no hot sun nor external wind. If a person is undisciplined in mind, and emotionally reactive, I imagine it would be very, very, difficult.
If you do achieve it - is it technically a harder Jhana because I would presume difficulty is impacted?Harder Jhanas imhe are more of an impact from concentration coupled with mindfulness rather than an external factor such as weather. In other words, if you relate your mind to a flashlight, a hard jhana is associated to training one's mind to focus your internal mind's light to that of a laser. It cuts through the junk easier, faster, and gets deeper efficiently.

Walking Meditation and Jhana. Can you enter the first Jhana while doing walking meditation? Yes, and further Jhanas as well, but it does get difficult to balance walking once crossed into fourth Jhana, I tend to stop and stand, put the body on hold at that point though, I imagine others would have different experiences though, so not saying my perspective is all inclusive.
How about with eyes open? Yes.
How about with eyes closed? Yes.
How about with eyes partly closed?Yes.

What are the differences between the after image(outline) created when staring at an object for a duration of time and then closing your eyes?
With eyes open(or closed or partly closed), I find the nimatta will arise and overlay the afterimage/outline, the same happens when observing breath(or any physical object), one shifts from the physical focal point to the soft hazy image(not afterimage), then another brighter, luminous point will stabilize and shift to that point.
Versus the after image that arises natural within the mind - fractal geometry and almost seemingly random objects that will suddenly materialize when you have your eyes closed? Are you referring to the images that arise in deeper jhana states where there are luminous, bright, textural images? Or the dream-like objects that may arise when in a light state? Personal immersion will really help you discern, especially if your mind is bright and clear, there is alot of differences, in texture, clarity, etc. There is a congruencey that arises, architypical images if you will so that it's easier to establish a path, know where others are and where you are in these states.
These objects seem to instantly drop you into access concentration... or are a result of Jhana and access concentration - not sure yet...I recommend some more practice, and observation, or perhaps reading from a favorite pro may help. It seems like a chicken vs. the egg type question, do these objects cause access concentration or does access concentration cause the objects, which came first? When practicing and establishing yourself in your path/method, it helps to go in, then back up, back and forth to help you learn how to navigate readily and the questions will be answered just from do that.

The first jhana - has anyone experienced these variations of it? Variations may occur do to preinclinations, object, and practice. Why some teachers like to have their students all focus on the same object(breath) as it removes some of the variables and helps the teacher, help the student efficiently.

Sometimes I will experience total bliss, another time I have experienced no body sensation, but did drop in the first jhana, another time I swear I dropped into Jhana, but experienced pain, another time I experienced a very dull sensation - almost like a bliss sensation that was incomplete.
I tend to skip the bliss out, and hop right into the deeper states. Pain is also a general term, if you meditate on a wrathful deity, and drop into a deep Jhana you may feel pain too, but it's different than say, your bum hurting or knees aching.

There's a compilation of various experiences many meditators experienced in meditation, if you'd like I could locate it, but it basically gives an idea of how variable sensation even emotions can be. It does help to talk to a community in that regard though. Fun questions though. Also, enjoy your retreat. I had an online meditation teacher who really helped me get established, though he doesn't do that anymore, I highly recommend the experience.