Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Affirmations

Old 03-01-2016, 01:09 PM
Pathfinder

Talking Miss, Ma'am or Madam??

I've realise that lately people start to call me Madam! while before they used to call me miss or ma'am (at restutants) does this signifies anything? I mean does my aura or vibes or what so ever means something? do I have to shift my vibes?
Old 05-01-2016, 03:42 PM
Lorelyen

Yes. Switch up to around 2GHz and you'll get called My Lady !

Old 08-01-2016, 07:20 PM
Pathfinder

what does that supposed to mean? can you please explain
Old 09-01-2016, 11:49 AM
Lorelyen

You talked about shifting vibes. This is a new age jargon thing about people vibrating and the frequency of vibration being high when things are good and low when they're evil.... or so it goes.

Frequency is just the rate of vibration. I presume, to its users, a high vibration (sometimes they call it a high vibrational level) means a high frequency. Frequency, put simply, is the number of times a regular vibration occurs in one second, otherwise called cycles and indicated by Hz (Herz, after Heirich Herz who provided the first proof of electromagnetic waves).

2GHz means 2 billion cycles per second - a very high frequency (Bluetooth devices work at around that frequency).

So really I was trying to be a bit satirical about the new-ageist appropriation of the term "vibration" without rhyme nor reason except for the Beach Boys' famous song.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:05 PM
Pathfinder

So when we are on high vibration, does that mean we manifest what we want or ?
Old 10-01-2016, 12:44 AM
Master
I don't know about this...all I know is that I feel 'culturally appropriated' when ever I am called 'madam' or 'ma'am'.

I am an Aussie sheila from the 'old school of hard knocks'. Over here, we have adopted many 'Americanisms' that would have probably found their way into our vocabulary sooner or later.

I'm into my 50's, I still get called 'miss' sometimes, and I giggle with delight, like a schoolgirl.

Maybe making the transition from 'miss' to 'ma'am' means you are looking older than a 'miss' should look....this usually occurs somewhere during the early 20's, where some people think women should be married by then and address them as such.

Still, it's hard to know what title to give a woman without offending her because men have it easy...they are 'Master' up until 18 years of age, then 'Mister' (Mr) after that...pretty clear cut there.

For women, it gets harder when another person doesn't know your name and wishes to address you....I have often thought, what address could they possibly use that I don't find particularly silly....but there isn't one.

Before, we had Miss, Mrs and Ms (for divorced/widowed) and I am a 'Ms', but this also labels and objectifies women according to social rank...lately they have created a new one...Mx that's non gender specific...where will it end?

I think I'd prefer being called 'lady' or 'woman' or 'sister' even 'missus' or 'sheila' over madam - the word 'madam' seems to conjure up images of painted ladies of the night...like geisha girls.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:49 AM
Deactivated Account

I don't think names and titles really matter. Your just putting focus on an area that is causing an unnecessary negative thought. Perhaps, your just a product of your city,culture and environment ( as the Necro mentioned) I feel Madam is a polite gesture. In the US, we don't really use that word, we use "Ma'am" and I personally think it's respectful.
I know our mannerisms here in the Mid West are a lot different from people in other coastal districts in the US (cities vary). Based on my travels, I would like to think we are a lot more friendlier here Where I am from, It's not uncommon for adult strangers of all ages (females in particular) to call me sweetie or Hon. I am in my mid 30's too. This could offend outsiders but I know part of it is the Midwestern culture, the other part is probably because I am just so darn cute.

It shouldn't matter. I'd put less focus on it
Old 12-01-2016, 12:04 AM
Knower
Madam makes me think of someone running a bordello. It's always better to be in charge in those situations ;) I'm 47 & I prefer ma'am not just because of my age, but, because I'm married. I refer to other women as, ma'am when they appear to be, at least, in their 30's. Even when I don't know their relationship status. To me, miss is for younger women, though, in the south, it can be used regardless of the woman's age. It's just a sign of respect. I don't know how many women still use, Ms (mizz), but, there's that as well.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:42 AM
Master
For me, I cannot think of any situation where I would even use such terms of address.

I am not one to approach a complete stranger, I think I have only done so twice...once when a woman dropped her keys and didn't notice...and the other time, I was somewhere lost and asking for directions...in both scenarios, I just approached the woman with an 'excuse me, sorry to bother you, but here's the situation...'

If I am approaching even a casual acquaintance, I usually know their name and if I don't and should, it's like 'hello, my name is Dianne and yours is...?'

I call people by their first name, but I still retain that rather antiquated tradition of calling men/women of the 'silent generation' by their title and surname (it's a mark of respect in my culture). I usually ascertain what they prefer to be called first though...'Hello there, Mrs. Smith...it is Mrs. Smith, isn't it?' to which I'll usually get 'just call me Margaret'...at least the effort is appreciated. lol
Old 17-02-2016, 12:25 PM
Knower

Hi there!
It's an interestiong topic as for me.

Personally I like when I'm called Miss because I'm single and young woman. Madam is kind of for older women I think or for the ones who are already married.

And what do you think?