Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 20-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Bhagavad Pita

Some people need remedial tutoring.
Old 21-06-2013, 04:11 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhagavad ****
Some people need remedial tutoring.

That's a perception which validates master and student identity crises.
Old 21-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Bhagavad Pita

In the end, what's the difference?
Old 24-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Deactivated Account
Teaching is not the same as sharing great riches.
When one has everlasting abundance, one may feel moved to share.
Old 29-07-2013, 06:15 AM
Pathfinder
if you learn to meditate you will answer your own questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSEe
Recently I had a short debate with a monk who is well known teacher of Buddhism and I still cant find any reason to agree with him ..........I really hope to find out from any people who claimed as a master or teacher of Buddhism that currently teaching Buddhism in school or giving Buddhism talk for the reason that makes them have emotion to be a teacher to others .....in short I hope to learn what is the reason they teach Buddhism .

I really cant find any reason what makes Dalai Lama have emotion to be teacher to others.....................
I hope anyone here could discuss with me on this .
Thks
CSEe
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

something very wonderful happens while meditating, the Tibetans call it "Special Means". but you must sit with only your breath to experience it.

in meditation you will learn to separate emotions from words, thoughts and situations. .. at Buddhanet there are instructions for Vipassina meditation. please, please start with Vipassina meditation, 10 minutes at a sitting, every day the first month then you can go longer. , after several months you can start Shamata meditation, but please start at the Beginning. don't do Zen till you understand traditional meditation..6 months to a year. try to find a teacher or group. wait till you know what you are talking about before you debate it. engage brain before operating mouth.

your mind seems a bit discursive.

Discursive.. adjective

1--digressing from subject to subject

2--relating to discourse or modes of discourse: the attempt to transform utterances from one discursive context to another

3--Philosophy, archaic proceeding by argument or reasoning rather than by intuition.

this isn't a criticism.. it is an observation. there is actually a special word for what you are doing that is driving the people away that you want to learn from. Observe-- listen-- practice before discussion. "Wax On.. Wax Off"

You can't Debate something that you only learn about in Silence, all by yourself. meditate meditate meditate.. revelations, universal truths, the voice of god are all just distractions created by the conventional mind during meditation, ignore them, keep watching the breath.

find a copy of the movie "The Little Buddha" cheap on Amazon, or ebay.. watch it a couple times.. then lets talk.

I was a hard core systemic Alcoholic for 20 years, I stopped drinking using meditation and learning Buddhism. I wont bother debating that.. don't waste my time. but I will share if you ask, and you did ask.
Old 29-07-2013, 06:33 AM
Deactivated Account
Learning meditation all by yourself is the finest meditation there is.
Because one did it by oneself.
If it goes nowhere and illuminates nothing, maybe then a teacher is necessary.
But I have all the proof I will ever need that one may do all one needs do, all by oneself.

How did the Buddha do it?
How did Jesus get to be Jesus?
How did Lao Tzu come up with tao te ching?
Did Plato learn philosophy from someone else?
Old 29-07-2013, 08:11 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by passnthru2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

something very wonderful happens while meditating, the Tibetans call it "Special Means". but you must sit with only your breath to experience it.

in meditation you will learn to separate emotions from words, thoughts and situations. .. at Buddhanet there are instructions for Vipassina meditation. please, please start with Vipassina meditation, 10 minutes at a sitting, every day the first month then you can go longer. , after several months you can start Shamata meditation, but please start at the Beginning. don't do Zen till you understand traditional meditation..6 months to a year. try to find a teacher or group. wait till you know what you are talking about before you debate it. engage brain before operating mouth.

your mind seems a bit discursive.

Discursive.. adjective

1--digressing from subject to subject

2--relating to discourse or modes of discourse: the attempt to transform utterances from one discursive context to another

3--Philosophy, archaic proceeding by argument or reasoning rather than by intuition.

this isn't a criticism.. it is an observation. there is actually a special word for what you are doing that is driving the people away that you want to learn from. Observe-- listen-- practice before discussion. "Wax On.. Wax Off"

You can't Debate something that you only learn about in Silence, all by yourself. meditate meditate meditate.. revelations, universal truths, the voice of god are all just distractions created by the conventional mind during meditation, ignore them, keep watching the breath.

find a copy of the movie "The Little Buddha" cheap on Amazon, or ebay.. watch it a couple times.. then lets talk.

I was a hard core systemic Alcoholic for 20 years, I stopped drinking using meditation and learning Buddhism. I wont bother debating that.. don't waste my time. but I will share if you ask, and you did ask.

Dear sir , thanks for sharing . My question here is very obvious , what is the reason for anyone to teach others Buddhism ?.......In my current understanding , there are trillions way / trillions source to self realization perhaps meditation as you descriped is one of the trillions so if that works for you that is fine I hope we share / discuss / debate on understanding of Buddhism ....I hope you could stay debate with me on your understanding of Buddhism with me , not knowledge but what you had realized ...I think is not common sense Buddhism cannot be debated if only for own learning purposes ..........
Thks
CSEe
Old 29-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Knower
Huge difference between teaching and telling others what you believe. According to the Dhammapada you don't really teach Buddhism anyway. I'm at work so it isn't an exact quote but it basically says a fool in the presence of a sage will not perceive/understand the DharDharma as a spoon can not perceive the taste of soup. However a discerning person in the presence of a sage will perceive the Dharma as the tongue can perceive the taste of soup.

In my eyes this more or less means you can't teach those with no desire to learn, and those who understand need not be taught because they will perceive the path on their own.
Old 29-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Deactivated Account
Well said.
One's spiritual journey must most often be a solitary one, lest it become somebody else's journey.
Wisdom does not reside in words or teachings. Those are only descriptions of wisdom. Not the wisdom, itself.
Wisdom comes from one's own experience, or not at all.
Old 29-07-2013, 09:48 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex23
Huge difference between teaching and telling others what you believe. According to the Dhammapada you don't really teach Buddhism anyway. I'm at work so it isn't an exact quote but it basically says a fool in the presence of a sage will not perceive/understand the DharDharma as a spoon can not perceive the taste of soup. However a discerning person in the presence of a sage will perceive the Dharma as the tongue can perceive the taste of soup.

In my eyes this more or less means you can't teach those with no desire to learn, and those who understand need not be taught because they will perceive the path on their own.

when I debate with others in Buddhism , I do not seek for agreement or to defend my understanding . My intention is to challenge my "current " understanding ( that is the reason I always use the word my current understanding ) for my own learning process not into influence others to seek for agreement . In short anything that you say to me is a source of learning ........In my current understanding , I really cant understand how can a person have any reason to teach if not resulted from their desire , ego , pride or attachment on their knowledge of right and wrong .......

Buddhism is not living in others life by concerning others but is to live in the present condition , realizing present moment , accepting present moment not the past or to creates images of the future ......lets debate or discuss or argue or challenge our understanding shall we for learning purposes.........?
Thks CSEe