Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 27-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Master
Compassion in Buddhism

Recently I have a great discussion with many ' Buddhism experts" in a 2 Buddhism websites and learned that all of them seems link compassion closely to Buddhism . Some even believe compassion is core of wisdom , some accept compassion is the pathway to Buddha , some regard compassion is all there is to learn about Buddhism .

I personally at current understanding that myself is polluted energy and this energy defined in so many names by human knowledge such as desire , emotions , compassion , greed , ego , love , knowledge , skill , determination , will etc .....all these emotions is from a same source - the polluted energy in nothingness .....Buddhism is a process to understand , realize , accept all this polluted energy and freedom from it back into emptiness ............all the action / helps that I offered from a sincere heart , care for others without reason or expectation , giving atmost helps to the needy without any condition or expectation perhaps by human knowledge regarded as "compassion" ........but to me still resulted / from the polluted energy . Buddhism is a process to explore this compassion , the cause of compassion , the reason for having compassion and freedom on believing compassion ..............
lets discuss okey , I am here to learn , sincerely .
Thks
CSEe
Old 27-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Buzz

Good topic. My own opinion is that compassion can be overstated and misunderstood. Beyond compassion is simply allowing all things to be as they are. When we contrive to install compassion in our lives, are we simply motivated to 'be good', as a spiritual concept may be one of acquiring the attributes that the mind feels are important in order to become an enlightened being.
Leading a good life is a fundamental concept of most religions and it really is mostly to do with appearance rather than substance.
True compassion will occur naturally as one starts to view life as it is without prejudice rather than collecting the qualities we feel will take us beyond our present moment experience.
Old 27-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Master
Compassion is not an idea or action but a deep feeling in the inner being beyond the mind. You have to feel it to know what it is.

Xan

Old 27-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
Compassion is not an idea or action but a deep feeling in the inner being beyond the mind. You have to feel it to know what it is.
Xan

Perhaps is the refreshing emotions of atmost joy without any element of pain .......the feeling of reaching out to all being regardless their nature ...the emotions with tears but is not sorrow or joy .......the fearless emotions even for death .......the emotions with view that see all great , all beautiful....the emotion for forgiven and caring .........caring without intention or desire .....sadness in joy .....joy in sorrow ......compassion without sorry .....charity without knowledge ...caring without burden ......love without reason ........is that close to what you feel , Xan ?
If I can feel it , it must be part of myself ........or already part of myself ......the self that cause my joy , my suffering , my existant .....still the pollutant in me.
Thks
CSEe
Old 27-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
Good topic. My own opinion is that compassion can be overstated and misunderstood. Beyond compassion is simply allowing all things to be as they are. When we contrive to install compassion in our lives, are we simply motivated to 'be good', as a spiritual concept may be one of acquiring the attributes that the mind feels are important in order to become an enlightened being.
Leading a good life is a fundamental concept of most religions and it really is mostly to do with appearance rather than substance.
True compassion will occur naturally as one starts to view life as it is without prejudice rather than collecting the qualities we feel will take us beyond our present moment experience.

Thanks Buzz for sharing your thought ...hope you could join in more and share .
Thks
CSEe
Old 28-10-2012, 04:50 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSEe
Recently I have a great discussion with many ' Buddhism experts" in a 2 Buddhism websites and learned that all of them seems link compassion closely to Buddhism . Some even believe compassion is core of wisdom , some accept compassion is the pathway to Buddha , some regard compassion is all there is to learn about Buddhism .

I personally at current understanding that myself is polluted energy and this energy defined in so many names by human knowledge such as desire , emotions , compassion , greed , ego , love , knowledge , skill , determination , will etc .....all these emotions is from a same source - the polluted energy in nothingness .....Buddhism is a process to understand , realize , accept all this polluted energy and freedom from it back into emptiness ............all the action / helps that I offered from a sincere heart , care for others without reason or expectation , giving atmost helps to the needy without any condition or expectation perhaps by human knowledge regarded as "compassion" ........but to me still resulted / from the polluted energy . Buddhism is a process to explore this compassion , the cause of compassion , the reason for having compassion and freedom on believing compassion ..............
Thks
CSEe
I am puzzled. Every thread you start or post in eventually gets polluted by your 'polluted energy' idea. How come the first paragraph was not sufficient in itself?

Seeing pollution everywhere, in yourself and by implication everybody else and the whole world, cannot be a healthy thing. If pollution is so ubiquitous where is purity supposed to come from?

Compassion arises from the belief that things are not the way they should be. Compassion always has an intent for something or someone, while realizing that one might not be able to do anything. It is wisdom in action. It allows for things which need to happen to happen. This may include one's own intervention if necessary.

Compassion is a form of love. It is in our nature to be compassionate and like so many things, it gets suppressed over time by other factors which we may think are more important.
Old 28-10-2012, 05:07 AM
Master
Quote:
Perhaps is the refreshing emotions of atmost joy without any element of pain .......the feeling of reaching out to all being regardless their nature ...the emotions with tears but is not sorrow or joy .......the fearless emotions even for death .......the emotions with view that see all great , all beautiful....the emotion for forgiven and caring .........caring without intention or desire .....sadness in joy .....joy in sorrow ......compassion without sorry .....charity without knowledge ...caring without burden ......love without reason ........is that close to what you feel , Xan ?
If I can feel it , it must be part of myself ........or already part of myself ......the self that cause my joy , my suffering , my existant .....still the pollutant in me.
Thks
CSEe

For me it's simple... feeling joy and love for no reason and deep caring without thought... when they spontaneously arise.

CSE... You seem to believe that any feeling at all is 'polluted', perhaps because it is not 'empty'.

But this leaves out the ability to discern between emotions that arise from the mind in separation from its source and so are distorted... and pure feelings/energies that arise directly from the essence of existence.

In another thread you participated in, another poster and I were speaking about the Buddhist understandings of dharmakaya - empty awareness, and sambogakaya - the pure bliss/love that arises directly from it.

Mind activity is another matter entirely and we learn to discern the difference through our own experience.

Xan

Old 28-10-2012, 05:44 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin
I am puzzled. Every thread you start or post in eventually gets polluted by your 'polluted energy' idea. How come the first paragraph was not sufficient in itself?

I admit myself is pollutant ......but I never accuse others as pollutant my friend , others is all my source of learning , teaching me to accept myself ...so you same as Dalai Lama , same as Osama never polluted energy to me as you all are teacher providing me lesson . Nothing is sufficient in Buddhism my friend .........Buddhism is a continueos process until emptiness ......

Seeing pollution everywhere, in yourself and by implication everybody else and the whole world, cannot be a healthy thing. If pollution is so ubiquitous where is purity supposed to come from?

Purity is not coming to you , is you towards purity . Purity is never a destination on choice but a state without any choice ........if there is a dirt on a piece of clean / white paper ...is only a dirt in the paper ......nothing but the dirt on the paper ......so whatelse is there my friend except you with yourself .......

Compassion arises from the belief that things are not the way they should be.
I see ego here my friend.
Compassion always has an intent for something or someone, while realizing that one might not be able to do anything.
I see desire / greed here my friend .

It is wisdom in action. It allows for things which need to happen to happen. This may include one's own intervention if necessary.

I see hope / wish / expectation here my friend .

Compassion is a form of love. It is in our nature to be compassionate and like so many things, it gets suppressed over time by other factors which we may think are more important.

I see sorrow , ego , greed , knowledge , comparison here my friend .

Thks
CSEe
Old 28-10-2012, 05:45 AM
sahaja

Quote:
10-27-2012, 10:51 AM, Post #1

Compassion in Buddhism

Thks
CSEe

I've read the posts on compassion in the thread on desire. The varying views remind of the story of the blind men and the elephant. Everyone could be right, certainly for themselves, and the subject has been pretty well covered.

Once again, different Buddhist schools practice in different ways. Different paths. The way you speak Is familiar, although the words you use are different. So what if what you say is true if all you've done is replace one ideation with another and now grasp onto it. Talking about things is not the same as resolving them.

The Sambhogakaya energy of a Buddha or Bodhisattva is clear and pure, undefined, without condition and values, therefore with unobscured clarity they can perceive the very nature of things and do what is needed at the time. Your ideas of pollutions do not exist for them. They have no boundaries, no rules, no limitations, no ideations of a self to impede them. Thus we use terms like the Compassion of a Buddha or Bodhisattvic Compassion to describe it.
Old 28-10-2012, 06:28 AM
Master
[quote=Xan][color=Navy]

For me it's simple... feeling joy and love for no reason and deep caring without thought... when they spontaneously arise.

So is that you you meaning on "compasssion" is "love , joy, caring" ? So when you feel love and joy where is the feeling come from ? From yourself ? Is that the same self that having desire for joy , the same self that feel sorrow ?
If yes .....how can you be sure this feeling you had is never connected to desire , ego , greed ?
If no , perhaps must be emptiness ....is there any emotion in emptiness ?
CSE...

You seem to believe that any feeling at all is 'polluted', perhaps because it is not 'empty'.
But this leaves out the ability to discern between emotions that arise from the mind in separation from its source and so are distorted... and pure feelings/energies that arise directly from the essence of existence.

So is the essence of existence is the cause of existence or end of existence ? To me the essence of all beings is nothingness ......and is the final state of all existence never the cause .....as the cause of all existence is polluted energy....so is not logical to me is coming from something which is nothing but is going toward nothing by letting go something ...so perhaps compassion is a emotion of less self , less burden of ego / greed but still in same garden of own choices ......

In another thread you participated in, another poster and I were speaking about the Buddhist understandings of dharmakaya - empty awareness, and sambogakaya - the pure bliss/love that arises directly from it.

Dear Xan , when I notice other discussion involving terminology , I will never involved as I do not understand any terminology used . Sorry .

Mind activity is another matter entirely and we learn to discern the difference through our own experience.

Still the flower in the same garden my friend ....if we keep on washing our clothes with dirty water , I will always be dirty .
Xan