Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 02-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Master
Is there anything or anyone should be referral to Buddhism ?

Dear all , from my observation Buddhism is now being "practice" in so many ways , by so call traditions , influence by so many culture etc ..........there are many practices seems to be closely associated with Buddhism such as the lifelihood being a monk , charity works , chantting , meditation , text/scriptures , teaching of monks , Siddharta Gautama himself etc .......I try to find any common sense on these understanding but still not be able to find any .
Currently I of the opinion that Buddhism is a process of freeling one from ownself that never related to others , therefore nothing and no one is associated or related , or is referral to Buddhism even Siddharta himself.......
I understand it may sound un-pleasent but I really hope to learn from you guys ...so my question is :- Is there anything or anyone should be referral to Buddhism ? and why ?
Thks
CSEe

Last edited by CSEe : 02-09-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:22 AM
Rin

I don't understand this post and the question.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:42 AM
Master
Yea, I don't get it either.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:09 AM
Master
My question is there anyone or anything should be or could be regarded as referral to Buddhism ?
For example in Islam , Quran is the referral text and for Christain is the Bible .....
In sociaty , we have local civil law ...so what about Buddhism ?
Should there be anyone or anything that regarded or accepted as referal to Buddhism ...such as text ? Teaching of monks ? in your own understanding ....
Thks
CSEe
Old 03-09-2012, 06:36 AM
Rin

There are many sutras. Each one of them can be used. Understanding one, properly, deeply and fully, is said to result in understanding all of them.
So take your pick.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin
There are many sutras. Each one of them can be used. Understanding one, properly, deeply and fully, is said to result in understanding all of them.
So take your pick.

Hi Rin , nice to hear from you again . Yes that is what I was told many times . There was a quite " well known" monk told me , he totally used that and what being taught by his master as referal to his understanding of Buddhism .......how do you see it Rin ? Is this what Buddhism is all about ?
Thks
CSEe
Old 03-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Master
Just like all ism's, they are based on a belief system, but what Buddhism points to is beyond any belief system, that's how I see it.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:33 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
Just like all ism's, they are based on a belief system, but what Buddhism points to is beyond any belief system, that's how I see it.

Thats also my understanding but during discussion I feel that many people are refering to some guide such as certain teachers , text etc .........
I am of current opinion , all information is for own learning process , for own digestion and perhaps the factor of realization never the cause .......
perhaps others member here have some different awareness to share .
Thks
CSEe
Old 03-09-2012, 08:12 AM
breath

Yes. Your self is a referral.

Unlike other religions the evidence of buddhism is held in your own experience, it's not in a distant heavenly subtle change - it's a religion of massive living changes.

You may be disappointed if you seek a religion here, because it's not something Buddhists really possess. You follow Buddha's example as much as you want or don't want to, you wont be any less off if you don't, and no better off if you do.

All we want is for you to spend a moment sitting still, perceiving the world as it is - without the voice in your head that just keeps talking. When you do that, Buddhism is put into perspective, as a simple nudge in the right direction.

I suggest listening to youtube copies of Alan Watts lectures on Buddhism. He explains it fantastically.

Thich naht hahn is a common hero - great way of teaching the path to the 1st Jhana < something most meditators have experienced in part, and many have fully achieved.

Read up on simple quotes too, and once you really understand it - then studying is fun.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSEe
Thats also my understanding but during discussion I feel that many people are refering to some guide such as certain teachers , text etc .........
I am of current opinion , all information is for own learning process , for own digestion and perhaps the factor of realization never the cause .......
perhaps others member here have some different awareness to share .
Thks
CSEe
Some people who are not very intelligent might want to start at the zero point. The more intelligent ones realize that they can gain a lot by learning and implementing what other people have discovered, written about and commented on. We all stand on the back of other peoples' work. To have an attitude of "I did my way" towards everything is insane.

If you would study some of the Buddhist texts you would know that there is no cause-effect relationship in Buddhism but only one of dependent origination.