Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-02-2017, 04:53 AM
Guide

What is Emptiness?

The emptiness of the Buddha is an emptiness of thought, i.e. a state of no thought. To my knowledge the only path which addresses this directly is Zen which tries to put an end to intellectualism and speculation.

Mantra based practices are a work around by occupying the mind so that it does not digress into useless activities.

There may be other practices with a similar aim.

The goal is to get to a primary state of being from which thinking and doing can arise.
For most people the primary state is one of thinking or doing, but being cannot arise from there.

The difficulty people have with non-thinking is that they will effectively cease to exist. Since thinking is their primary mode non-thinking is death.
They will say, how can I function without thought? I would not find my way home, I would not be able to do my work without thinking.

As J Krishnamurti pointed out this is a failure to distinguish between two kind of thoughts, factual and non-factual thoughts. The first relates to things, the world, our body and its needs. There is nothing wrong with that kind of thought. The other kind, which we should eliminate, is psychological thoughts, thoughts about things which only exist in our head, including our self, our image, etc.

Psychological thought includes metaphysical thought, so all philosophy and spirituality is essentially a useless if not detrimental activity with which we entertain ourselves so that we can escape from reality into our own fairy tale.