Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 03-01-2020, 03:02 AM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
He was removed because he ordained women.

I for one applaud what he did.

Before that he was highly respected within the tradition and was the head monk and n Australia.

I have no doubt he has a much better understanding of Buddhist Dharma than you do.

No, he was removed because he went out on his own, disavowed the Sangha and his role as a precept holder. He had ample opportunity to communicate his intentions and he didn’t. To you, it might be a popularity contest, but to the Dhamma and Sangha it is a different concept. The Schools in the west all have nuns in residence anyway.

I like him, he’s lovely, and very popular with beginners and people who are into Buddhism lite,

But he’s not an accomplished practitioner, and it shows in his belief that the enlightened ones suffer, and his broader teachings which differ from that of his former school.

There’s a reason why he is the only one ex communicated,

Ymmv

Jl
Old 03-01-2020, 03:09 AM
janielee

Quote:
Of course it is possible. I talked to Gem in a recent thread about the importance of the jhanas. It seems to me much of what I posted is that n line with what I have been debating others.

Bliss is apart of the process and there are many stages of bliss one will go through. I copied it because many in this section have doubted bliss is part of the process. Running and I know differently.

I can say it and people like you will automatically disagree. Someone from your tradition can say it but if I post it you disagree or slander the writer.

Maybe some introspection is needed on your part..

My tradition? LoL my tradition is all of Buddhism, and given that you’re neither a practicing Buddhist or seem to understand well the Buddhist teachings, and follow an Internet forum guru, what you do want me to say?

That you and running are the true arbiters of Buddhism, two people who have neither practiced, ever studied it under a true Buddhist master, nor understand its context and definitions?

Bliss is easy, and Buddhism is not bliss obsessed like you and running are. Let alone I believe running’s state, but not yours, not that his is Buddhist, but I sense what he feels.

BTW I see you posted one post on Dharmawheel, as you’re so confident that you understand Buddhism, I suggest you test out your understanding there, and not here amongst other non Buddhist students. (Although I assume you post more frequently under a separate pseudonym there)

Happy New Year!

Jl
Old 03-01-2020, 03:11 AM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelyn
Anatta, (Pali: “non-self” or “substanceless)

Consciousness definition from English Dictionary,

Did you look up the Buddhist definition? Because that’s what we are talking about here. Regardless the intellect can’t grok that, only experience can imo.

Blessings,

Jl
Old 03-01-2020, 03:17 AM
janielee

Quote:
The translator is trying to push some meaning into that word, but English has already determined the meaning.

Nope, it’s simply going by the Buddhist definition. Very simple. Very well known in Buddhism

Jl
Old 03-01-2020, 03:23 AM
janielee

Quote:
Not sure if this was seen.

I think it's the reverse. They are translating some meaning or word into an English word.
English defines consciousness in a specific way.
The translator is trying to push some meaning into that word, but English has already determined the meaning.

viññāṇa:

Consciousness; cognizance; the act of taking note of sense data and ideas as they occur. There is also a type of consciousness that lies outside of the khandhas — called consciousness without feature (viññāṇaṃ anidassanaṃ) — which is not related to the six senses at all. See khandha.

And a useful sutra herein:

The six classes of consciousness should be known.' Thus was it said. In reference to what was it said? Dependent on the eye & forms there arises consciousness at the eye. Dependent on the ear & sounds there arises consciousness at the ear. Dependent on the nose & aromas there arises consciousness at the nose. Dependent on the tongue & flavors there arises consciousness at the tongue. Dependent on the body & tactile sensations there arises consciousness at the body. Dependent on the intellect & ideas there arises consciousness at the intellect. 'The six classes of consciousness should be known.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipi....148.than.html
Old 03-01-2020, 03:30 AM
janielee

Quote:
It is a mistake to use the English meaning of terms used in Buddhism.

Wisdom is a perfect example.

Most people think of it as someone wise or has knowledge on a particular topic. A ln English dictionary definition:

English Wisdom definition is - ability to discern inner qualities and relationships : INSIGHT
b : good sense : JUDGMENT
c : generally accepted belief
challenges what has become accepted wisdom among many historians
— Robert Darnton
d : accumulated philosophical or scientific learning : KNOWLEDGE
2 : a wise attitude, belief, or course of action
3 : the teachings of the ancient wise men

The Buddhist meaning of Wisdom.

Prajñā (Sanskrit) or paññā (Pāli) "wisdom" is insight in the true nature of reality, namely primarily anicca (impermanence), dukkha (dissatisfaction or suffering), and anattā (non-self). In addition, Abhidharma and later Mahāyāna text may include suññatā (Skt; Eng: emptiness)

Simply, in Buddhism Wisdom means the realization of a state of being.

Intellectual vs Direct realization of. They might seem similar but they are different.

Agreed. Wow.........!

Thanks,

Jl
Old 03-01-2020, 04:47 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
My tradition? LoL my tradition is all of Buddhism, and given that you’re neither a practicing Buddhist or seem to understand well the Buddhist teachings, and follow an Internet forum guru, what you do want me to say?

That you and running are the true arbiters of Buddhism, two people who have neither practiced, ever studied it under a true Buddhist master, nor understand its context and definitions?

Bliss is easy, and Buddhism is not bliss obsessed like you and running are. Let alone I believe running’s state, but not yours, not that his is Buddhist, but I sense what he feels.

BTW I see you posted one post on Dharmawheel, as you’re so confident that you understand Buddhism, I suggest you test out your understanding there, and not here amongst other non Buddhist students. (Although I assume you post more frequently under a separate pseudonym there)

Happy New Year!

Jl
A Buddhist who claims he has a higher standard then another Buddhist, probably is not a Buddhist.

janielee, how long have you served as a Buddhist nun or monk?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 03-01-2020, 05:33 AM
ImthatIm

janielee

Please don't ever think I am a Buddhist lite or any other kind of Buddhist.
I just Love Buddhists, and try to understand them and Buddhism more.

If you find I am disrespectful to Buddhism, let me know.
I find I am disrespectful to all religions at times, so I am told.
Ultimately, I do mean well, I am just a bit crude like a Bison
running and bucking on the prairie trampling things at times.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:29 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
It’s clear you don’t understand but ironic that you didn’t find that a plausible possibility, because that’s how I read your post(s). And yes, you have bliss. Congratulations..

Jl

its could be possible to become nothing. but that isn't required to go beyond suffering. as proven by countless people over the years.

in the process when one is limited to the mind and emotional body it could be believed that everything must die.

that is where im coming from. my perspective. you of course dont have to agree. which you already know. lol

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4
Old 03-01-2020, 06:40 AM
Deactivated Account

I am an explorer of truth and reality.