Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Healing

Old 17-08-2014, 02:28 AM
Experiencer
How to release dog phobia?

My eleven year old son has dog phobia since he was about 3. He was not afraid of dogs at all before that, actually quite the opposite -once the dog was growling, but he kept going towards him -thank goodness I caught him before he got to the dog. The only even, that I can remember, that might have been distressing was, when he went close to the gate (as he loved to open and close doors and gates) near neighbor's house and two large dogs came suddenly barking, scaring him. I didn't notice though immediate phobia after that.
I read some books about healing phobias, but they require him to want to let go. He just wants to run (like we have to cross the street, if dog is walked on the sidewalk.) Trying to expose him to dogs doesn't work -he starts screaming and running and even the most peaceful dog starts barking.
I was thinking hypnosis - but how to find good hypnotist? Any other ideas?
Old 28-08-2014, 12:10 PM
pathfinder

This is a really difficult situation- for you, him and the dogs! Try telling him that dogs- especially the little ones, are afraid of HIM, that when they see him they get SO frightened that the have to bark to make themselves feel brave and try to frighten him. Try and get him to feel sympathy with them. A very small very friendly dog is the key then.
Old 28-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Ascender
I would start slowly. Maybe buy him a really cute and soft stuffed puppy dog. You could sit him on your lap with the stuffed puppy dog and tell him that most puppies are really cute,soft and sweet like this one! However,some puppy dogs,like some people,can be mean. So,we always have to talk to the doggy's mommy and daddy before petting him to see if it's okay. Then,I would try some cute pictures and maybe some YouTube videos of cute puppies. If all that went well,I would try introducing him to one of my friend's dogs that I knew was really sweet and gentle.

In any case,and I say this just in case,because I'm not a Doctor or professional. They say that if anything becomes a problem and interferes with your life you should seek the opinion of a licensed Doctor or Psychologist.
Old 28-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfirst
My eleven year old son has dog phobia since he was about 3. He was not afraid of dogs at all before that, actually quite the opposite -once the dog was growling, but he kept going towards him -thank goodness I caught him before he got to the dog. The only even, that I can remember, that might have been distressing was, when he went close to the gate (as he loved to open and close doors and gates) near neighbor's house and two large dogs came suddenly barking, scaring him. I didn't notice though immediate phobia after that.
I read some books about healing phobias, but they require him to want to let go. He just wants to run (like we have to cross the street, if dog is walked on the sidewalk.) Trying to expose him to dogs doesn't work -he starts screaming and running and even the most peaceful dog starts barking.
I was thinking hypnosis - but how to find good hypnotist? Any other ideas?

joyfirst - If you find the answer to resolving dog phobias, please share. Just thought I would share my own story. I have owned 2 dogs over 26 years. The last dog I was extremely close with and took her everywhere I went. Our daily walks was something I just took for granted as a freeing-the-spirit kind of thing for both of us. That all came to a screeching halt one day when a woman walking 2 dogs, one being extremely aggressive and trying to get away from her, dropped the leash of the attack dog. The dog shot across the street and attacked my dog maliciously like it was trying to kill her. I picked up my 45lb dog and ran in circles trying to protect her. But the attacking dog grabbed her right out of my hands and I got bit too. If it weren't for a man mowing his lawn across the street coming to our rescue I don't know what we would have done. My dog needed over $1,200 in emergency surgeries and I had to go get a shot. I don't want to say anymore about what the fallout from the incident was because it's disturbing to me. But to this day I don't trust other dog owners to know the temperament of their own dog(s). I am also afraid of dogs running loose and they do where I moved to. When I'm walking down the street I'm afraid another dog will attack. It's been 6 years since the incident and I'm no less afraid. I really sympathize and understand your son's phobia. It is not unfounded, but I do understand how it interferes with life in one sense. Both my dogs are gone now and because I'm afraid to walk a dog and don't have a fenced in yard, I will likely never enjoy sharing my life with a dog of my own again. Anyway, best of luck to you and your son.

Blackraven
Old 28-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
joyfirst - If you find the answer to resolving dog phobias, please share. Just thought I would share my own story. I have owned 2 dogs over 26 years. The last dog I was extremely close with and took her everywhere I went. Our daily walks was something I just took for granted as a freeing-the-spirit kind of thing for both of us. That all came to a screeching halt one day when a woman walking 2 dogs, one being extremely aggressive and trying to get away from her, dropped the leash of the attack dog. The dog shot across the street and attacked my dog maliciously like it was trying to kill her. I picked up my 45lb dog and ran in circles trying to protect her. But the attacking dog grabbed her right out of my hands and I got bit too. If it weren't for a man mowing his lawn across the street coming to our rescue I don't know what we would have done. My dog needed over $1,200 in emergency surgeries and I had to go get a shot. I don't want to say anymore about what the fallout from the incident was because it's disturbing to me. But to this day I don't trust other dog owners to know the temperament of their own dog(s). I am also afraid of dogs running loose and they do where I moved to. When I'm walking down the street I'm afraid another dog will attack. It's been 6 years since the incident and I'm no less afraid. I really sympathize and understand your son's phobia. It is not unfounded, but I do understand how it interferes with life in one sense. Both my dogs are gone now and because I'm afraid to walk a dog and don't have a fenced in yard, I will likely never enjoy sharing my life with a dog of my own again. Anyway, best of luck to you and your son.

Blackraven

Oh my! I am so very sorry that happened to you. I can only imagine how scary and devastating it was.
Old 28-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Megamedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfirst
My eleven year old son has dog phobia since he was about 3. He was not afraid of dogs at all before that,

That is me and spiders. When I was around three maybe four I was asleep in my parents bed. I woke up and got a scared by a spider, since then I was afraid of them. The way I released it or are more and more releasing it is by acknowledging what the spider represent in me. So maybe researching spirit messages of dogs and see if any of it makes sense might help and work on those issues. I like this page: dog.
Old 28-08-2014, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator
This is tricky. Because real life experience has shown the fear is NOT unfounded. Who can blame anyone for a phobia developing under those circumstances? It's instinctive, natural, and connected to survival instinct, therefore not irrational!

When I was 17 I watched as an aggressive dog came racing along our street and ripped into our family dog -who was a very gentle female and couldn't even defend herself as she was not so well at the time. I and my brother got the dog away in the end. She had to be put to sleep. It was a horrific event.
Why didn't that make me phobic of dogs? I have no idea. But it did make me prejudiced against that particular breed of dog, and it's only fairly recently I have noticed that prejudice has melted away now.

But what helped me I think was having a dog of my own again many years later....and then eventually having another dog who was my absolute best friend and spiritual sister ever!

I know your son is in the frame of mind that he cannot even bear to see a dog right now. But maybe meeting little puppies might be a completely different thing? I wonder even if he could stand it -watching videos of little pups....or gentle dogs? And possibly graduating to visiting a local rescue center to take food etc, and visiting the dogs who are homeless, and nobody loves? (Choosing the gentler temperaments and maybe smaller breeds? -Although not all small dogs are gentle! And many large dogs are gentle giants!)
Old 29-08-2014, 12:25 AM
Guide

Tobi makes a really good point about the phobia not being irrational. It's definitely going to be a tough one. Have you thought about getting him a pet dog? I know it sounds a bit back to front with what you've shared with us, but do you think it's possible that having him raise a dog from a puppy might help at all? It might give him more insight into the animal and how it reacts to different things, and could possibly ease him into it with its gradual development.

I used to have a phobia around large dogs. I can still be a little nervous from to time, but in my case I mostly got over it because as an adult I chose to face it. When confronted by a dog, I wouldn't allow myself to move away from it. I also read a lot about dealing with dog attacks to try and ease my own mind. Now the phobia is more or less gone. I managed to deal with some other phobias in the same way. For instance, I was like a lot of people, unable to stand still around wasps and bees. Eventually, I made myself sit or stand perfectly still whenever a wasp or bee came near me. I no longer have a problem. That's why I suggested buying a puppy, just because there's a chance it might help to gradually ease the phobia and help him to understand dogs and why some of them may act a certain way, etc.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!
Old 29-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBelle
Oh my! I am so very sorry that happened to you. I can only imagine how scary and devastating it was.

Thanks so much, LillyBelle. I can always use a hug.

Blackraven
Old 29-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
This is tricky. Because real life experience has shown the fear is NOT unfounded. Who can blame anyone for a phobia developing under those circumstances? It's instinctive, natural, and connected to survival instinct, therefore not irrational!

When I was 17 I watched as an aggressive dog came racing along our street and ripped into our family dog -who was a very gentle female and couldn't even defend herself as she was not so well at the time. I and my brother got the dog away in the end. She had to be put to sleep. It was a horrific event.
Why didn't that make me phobic of dogs? I have no idea. But it did make me prejudiced against that particular breed of dog, and it's only fairly recently I have noticed that prejudice has melted away now.

But what helped me I think was having a dog of my own again many years later....and then eventually having another dog who was my absolute best friend and spiritual sister ever!

I know your son is in the frame of mind that he cannot even bear to see a dog right now. But maybe meeting little puppies might be a completely different thing? I wonder even if he could stand it -watching videos of little pups....or gentle dogs? And possibly graduating to visiting a local rescue center to take food etc, and visiting the dogs who are homeless, and nobody loves? (Choosing the gentler temperaments and maybe smaller breeds? -Although not all small dogs are gentle! And many large dogs are gentle giants!)

Tobi - Your experience was like mine and yet you've overcome a dog phobia. I'm sorry that you had to put your dog down. I too lost my baby and the other dog was lost to its owner as well. Sad situation all the way around and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of her. Good advice, BTW, to joyfirst for her son.

Blackraven