Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Old 15-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Ching
Our society is fundamentally unethical since every day the majority of people consume innocent animals. People is such a society have little ability to discriminate right from wrong.

Well that's a moral issue, but we can't pretend Inuit people are unethical because they consume animals.

There are a lot of ethical issues in the meat industry surrounding lots of things, so your point is valid though.
Old 15-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent whisper
this is true...they can.....but you know some like to add their own flavour.. even to trusting...:)

It's important to be considerate, and consideration is an intellectual process, so our ability to intellectualize is very important. It's not the enemy to 'divine will'. teehee.
Old 15-02-2012, 02:18 PM
I-Ching

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent whisper
this is true...they can.....but you know some like to add their own flavour.. even to trusting...:)
The Supreme Person has a unique Will for each of, according to our individual flavour. When we take over we simply spoil the broth.
Old 15-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Humm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
... say I pm'd someone my personal information email etc, and that person then passed it on to someone else... it's a breach in confidentiality and trust.

A thing like that isn't whether your religion or whatever makes different moral values, and that's just a example to indicate the difference between morality judgements and ethics.
I like this example. A lot. What is says is there are ethical principles that transcend societies and cultures, that there is a very real right and wrong that is easily intuited through the universal vlaues of integrity and respect towards all.
Old 15-02-2012, 03:27 PM
I-Ching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humm
I like this example. A lot. What is says is there are ethical principles that transcend societies and cultures, that there is a very real right and wrong that is easily intuited through the universal vlaues of integrity and respect towards all.
I disagree. What if the police or the paramedics needed this information and you tell them because according to your ethics which transcend society and culture you can't breach someone's confidentiality. Like I said there is no absolute ethics.
Old 15-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Arawn

Ethics is a tricky subject because it changes from person to person, culture to culture. It's based on morality and morals definitely change from place to place: what one place thinks is wrong might be considered right by another place. (definition of ethic(s): http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ethic and definition of morals: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/moral )

I generally do what I feel is right depending on the situation and who I"m dealing with. "Divine Will" has nothing to do with it, at least for me. I do not obtain my morals from anything divine and instead obtain them from the culture I was raised. However, if I was to enter another culture, I would live by their set of moral and ethical rules because I don't feel it's right to push my set onto another society.

Religion of any type has nothing to do with it as far as I'm concerned. I'm Pagan and the God of other people has no bearing on my life and the gods that I follow don't really have a set of moral or ethical rules that I have to follow.
Old 15-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Humm

Quote:
I disagree. What if the police or the paramedics needed this information and you tell them because according to your ethics which transcend society and culture you can't breach someone's confidentiality. Like I said there is no absolute ethics.
The thing is I-C that any example you name that you hope will support your position will naturally rely on an ethical principle to make your case.

You are right, in that case the 'rule' is wrong - the more correct choice then would be to give the information, because it would accomplish a greater good than maintaining confidence simply on principle.

It is always a question of the greater good - on universal ethical values.
Old 15-02-2012, 03:58 PM
I-Ching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humm
The thing is I-C that any example you name that you hope will support your position will naturally rely on an ethical principle to make your case.

You are right, in that case the 'rule' is wrong - the more correct choice then would be to give the information, because it would accomplish a greater good than maintaining confidence simply on principle.

It is always a question of the greater good - on universal ethical values.
Well my point is that due our limited perspective we don't always know what the greater good is.

What if the person was faking being a paramedic so that they could steal the information.
Old 15-02-2012, 04:07 PM
I-Ching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawn
I do not obtain my morals from anything divine and instead obtain them from the culture I was raised. However, if I was to enter another culture, I would live by their set of moral and ethical rules because I don't feel it's right to push my set onto another society.
So if you were born in a cannibalistic culture you would just go with the flow. I was born in a meat-eating culture but I chose not to follow that because I know it is wrong. I choose to think for myself and find something Higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawn
Religion of any type has nothing to do with it as far as I'm concerned. I'm Pagan and the God of other people has no bearing on my life and the gods that I follow don't really have a set of moral or ethical rules that I have to follow.
God is one. There no such thing as the African sun and the American sun. The sun is one despite whatever name you give it. Just because you don't know or understand God's ethics doesn't mean He doesn't have any. How did the gods that you follow tell you that they don't have any ethics? Or did other people that don't have any ethics just tell you this. The idea of gods is illogical since a God is by definition omnipotent and you can't have more than one omnipotent being. Of course you can have demi-gods.
Old 15-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Humm

Quote:
Well my point is that due our limited perspective we don't always know what the greater good is.

What if the person was faking being a paramedic so that they could steal the information.
Would that make what he is doing right?

I think it is readily deducible what the greater good is. It just takes discerning awareness and judicious intelligence.

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...3&postcount=14