Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Yoga

Old 07-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Seven

Introduction to Yoga?

I'd like to get into yoga, from home. I've tried a class similar to yoga and couldn't keep up at all. For now, what are some of your favorite resources for learning?
Old 09-01-2013, 07:00 AM
Master

A class is a definite must - with a teacher who can explain the asanas (postures), tell you what they are about, correct your postures, help you stretch that little bit more and help you realise that you are doing it perfectly each step of the way.

Also, included in the class to have breathing and meditation work - as that forms part of yoga.
Old 16-01-2013, 05:41 AM
Pathfinder
I use this site from home - it's very good for beginners.

http://www.doyogawithme.com/

They have a "Beginner's Studio" section with easier yoga sessions. I do also suggest trying again with classes, as you most likely threw yourself into a yoga class that wasn't for beginners
Old 23-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Anandini.Devotee

Maybe try meditation yoga it's not just asanas ;)
Old 18-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Adler99

I usually do it from DVD's because that is a appropriate way to learn the way of yoga.
I have learnt the basics of it from videos,and at the end now i can do complete yoga.
It strengthen my muscles and increased my stamina.My muscles are so much into the form now.
Old 19-02-2013, 11:47 PM
Anandini.Devotee

Yoga is about patanjali's sutras lol they rarely talk about the stretchy things that westerners use to "work out" this is funny that everyone in the west thinks yoga is not a spiritual practice lol!!
Old 19-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Anandini.Devotee

The word yoga means union with god and the sutras are about self realization and contemplation. The asanas are used to get your body ready for kundalini or enlightenment energy known as "Shakti" that runs from your root to your 3rd eye and crown. I have a good website on everything yoga lol I haven't found anything yet about working out in the ancient sutras and meditation of the Himalayan masters. http://www.swamij.com/index-yoga-meditation-yoga.htm you don't need a guru but you should at least know what yoga is. A tip I can say is to focus on the breath and to bring the energy to your 3rd eye good luck!
Old 20-02-2013, 07:02 AM
Master

Indeed Guru.Anandini.Devotee. THere is a merit in the asanas for themselves but they are such a small part of the package that is yoga. It is a 24/7 activity, and in the west it is compartmentalised to maybe a couple of hours a week. But, something is better than nothing and I would challenge people to do the pranayama without connecting to the self.
Old 20-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Anandini.Devotee

Yeah your right, but I really want people to use yoga properly, I met my guru online and it works, I connect to her darshan being 7000 miles away from her. I am even permitted by her to start teaching soon. It seems so easy, I tried meditating for years with little successes but all along all I needed was to get that 3rd eye open then bam. Why do u think its dangerous for people to focus on breath and 3 rd eye without a guru?
Old 23-02-2013, 11:47 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven
I'd like to get into yoga, from home. I've tried a class similar to yoga and couldn't keep up at all. For now, what are some of your favorite resources for learning?

Our cable carrier, in the premium channel section, has a section called exercise and fitness and in there there are Yoga lessons to watch and participate.