Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Art

Old 21-12-2023, 10:14 PM
Ascender

I have always thought that the Roy Thomson Hall in Toronto (while not all that strange at first sight) resembles a silver crème-caramel.
Old 23-12-2023, 12:09 AM
Ascender

Tonight I am thinking about the art deco tube stations found in London. The best ones are along the Piccadilly and Metropolitan lines, and were designed in the 1930’s by architect Charles Holden. He also designed the ones along the southern branch of the Northern Line, but they aren’t as artistic.

North of the river going to Cockfosters, you have the distinctive ventilation tower of Turnpike Lane, the bevelled diamond of Wood Green, the drum of Arnos Grove (based on the National Library of Sweden by Gunnar Asplund) and Southgate station, which may well have a Tesla coil on the top.

And out west, South Ruislip station resembles a silver space ship, and Uxbridge has very colourful stain glass windows. But the best one of the whole network, I feel, is Park Royal. This has several distinctive interlocking and geometric shapes, and resembles the dashboard Mr. Spoon’s rocket, in the popular children’s’ TV programme Button Moon.
Old 23-12-2023, 12:09 AM
Ascender

Tonight I am thinking about the art deco tube stations found in London. The best ones are along the Piccadilly and Metropolitan lines, and were designed in the 1930’s by architect Charles Holden. He also designed the ones along the southern branch of the Northern Line, but they aren’t as artistic.

North of the river going to Cockfosters, you have the distinctive ventilation tower of Turnpike Lane, the bevelled diamond of Wood Green, the drum of Arnos Grove (based on the National Library of Sweden by Gunnar Asplund) and Southgate station, which may well have a Tesla coil on the top.

And out west, South Ruislip station resembles a silver space ship, and Uxbridge has very colourful stain glass windows. But the best one of the whole network, I feel, is Park Royal. This has several distinctive interlocking and geometric shapes, and resembles the dashboard Mr. Spoon’s rocket, in the popular children’s’ TV programme Button Moon.
Old 02-02-2024, 01:54 PM
Ascender

Call it what you like (stranger, ugly, brutal, distinctive, all of these) but Trellick Tower in Kensal Town, London is very distinctive. It’s basically a broad high-rise block of flats, with some kind of robot’s head atop the lift shaft to the side. The architect also designed a similar block of flats in East London.
Old 02-02-2024, 03:22 PM
Dude111

Its beautiful!
Old 04-02-2024, 02:04 PM
Ascender

San Francisco being the USA’s quirky and anything-goes city, has a number of strange and distinctive buildings. There is the Transamerica Pyramid which is believed to be a homing beacon for UFO’s. Then there is also the Coit Tower resembling a fireman’s hose, and best of all, Frasier’s Octagon House.

Brighton is the UK’s anything-goes city, and I have always felt that it and San Francisco are kindred spirits, as there are a number of similarities. One of which is the Salvation Army Teashop beside The Level Park, which is also multi-sided.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:00 AM
Ascender

The Sagrada Famillia in Barcelona. I’m not sure about being strange as such (though some may think it is) but it is definitely ornate and striking. And to think that it has been under construction for over 100 years and isn’t finished yet. Latest estimates are something like 2036 for a finish date. They still need to include a large central spire topped with a huge cross. When it’s done it was be absolutely stunning.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:16 PM
Master

Yes I agree with SIrNeil. Many years ago I went to Barcelona just to see Guadis buildings and that cathedral just blew my mind. How on earth can someone design such an amazing building. Definitely divine influence.
Old 08-02-2024, 10:33 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redchic12
Many years ago I went to Barcelona just to see Guadis buildings and that cathedral just blew my mind. How on earth can someone design such an amazing building. Definitely divine influence.

Absolutely. He has definitely channelled some kind of Divinely-inspired imagination in the form of architectural design.
Old 12-02-2024, 04:21 PM
Master

I love any kind of building that isn’t square and the more quirky is even better!
Wish I could live in one of Gaudis buildings.

Google our opera house in Sydney. It’s brilliant.