Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 25-11-2019, 08:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
The one critique I would have with that approach is it might very well be an untruth, and since words have meaning and power it's best not to pervert them. I'm thinking it's best to either agree to disagree, acknowledge the discussion is not beneficial or lastly just not reply.
If we are discussing truth as being a subjective phenomenon (the only real truth being Non-Dual Brahman) then what another says is only true to THEM, even though it may be untrue to us (or even science for that matter).

We shall take the "Flat Earthers" as an example. To THEM, the Earth IS flat..that is their "truth" and we may disagree, but what good is it to disagree with a Flat Earther?...of course, we could ignore them.....and like myself, having half this forum on "ignore" because I can't be bothered engaging with them, where is the "lesson" you referred to in your opening post if you are gonna ignore someone who you consider to be a "waste of your time?"

I was conditioned to believe that words have power too, but I have to question that when I see the "f" and "c" word becoming a part of everyday, English vocabulary, so whatever power they once had, just does not exist anymore.
Old 25-11-2019, 09:28 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
It is not a test..it is me wondering what the heck I must do the o have an academic debate on esoterica and mysticism on here without blowing my "target audience" after the first sentence...however, Microsoft has pointed out that the average human attention span is less than that of a goldfish..

Oh yeah, I think I got that. I was just having a little fun. My problem with that level of discussion is I'm really a newbie in regards to the esoteric and mystical aspects of spirituality, being that I just started to dive into it the past few months. Any contributions I might make to the depths you plumb will be woefully inadequate. On the other hand I have been very interested in the scientific and philosophical (of mind - Western, not Eastern) discussions around consciousness and meditation for the past decade and it just kind of transitioned into the spiritual side very recently and not entirely of my volition.

Quote:
I just want there to be o be more people in the univ red besides the ME that I AM..playing hide and seek with myself is incredibly boring when I know where to look...and that is my conundrum in a nutshell.

That is a conundrum and I don't have an answer, mostly because of my inadequate knowledge outlined above.
Old 25-11-2019, 09:53 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
If we are discussing truth as being a subjective phenomenon (the only real truth being Non-Dual Brahman) then what another says is only true to THEM, even though it may be untrue to us (or even science for that matter).

We shall take the "Flat Earthers" as an example. To THEM, the Earth IS flat..that is their "truth" and we may disagree, but what good is it to disagree with a Flat Earther?...of course, we could ignore them.....and like myself, having half this forum on "ignore" because I can't be bothered engaging with them, where is the "lesson" you referred to in your opening post if you are gonna ignore someone who you consider to be a "waste of your time?"

I was conditioned to believe that words have power too, but I have to question that when I see the "f" and "c" word becoming a part of everyday, English vocabulary, so whatever power they once had, just does not exist anymore.

I take your point about truth and subjectivity but there are some practical constraints to individual truth when it flies in the face, and ridiculously so, of the vast amount of established thought. It is true every now and then a PataƱjali, Siddhārtha Gautama, Sri Ramakrishna, Copernicus, Galileo, Kepler, Newton, Faraday, Maxwell, Einstein, Borh, Dirac, et al. come along, but they are few and far between. Since we do have to navigate in this dualistic manifestation of reality, accepted truths do deserve some level of credence until and unless convincing evidence to the contrary is presented.

Thoughts lead to words and actions. Corrupt the chain often enough and the corruption becomes more acceptable and begins to create a new reality. At least that's my take on it. I can't say it's a hard & fast rule to always speak the truth, especially when it's brutal and serves no real purpose as that can be unduly harsh, but I think that's an exception and reserved to the trivial. Where it matters most so does truth. That being said I suppose a venue like this falls closer to the trivial than the truly important.

Regarding vulgarity, I agree. While sometimes an isolated and well-used vulgarity can serve a purpose and emphasize a point, making it a compulsive habit just illustrates lack of creativity and concern for the sensitivities and sensibilities of others. Of course there are also some vulgarities and crudities that are best not said or even thought. Thought is the real battlefield in my opinion. If one doesn't have the reins of thought one doesn't have the reins of words or actions.
Old 25-11-2019, 11:30 AM
Master
Quote:
Yup, but the true test is gonna come when a member on here actually replies to the content of my posts instead of questioning my motives for posting them.

Both can be equally challenging to reply to. If people feel your post lacks "depth" and comes across as more of a rant or complaint, or they don't understand where your going with your posts then naturally people may start questioning your motives for posting this or that. One of the challenges is responding from a level of understanding even if others don't.

Quote:
Bingo, we have a winner. LOL!

Oh my god i won!!! First and foremost, i would like to thank my fans. Without you guys i wouldn't be here. My family for their support. And the OP for creating this thread and the opportunity to win this thread. As a champion i am willing to defend the "spiritualforums.com intelligent reply championship belt" against all members. Anytime, anyplace.

Quote:
As I said in my original post all this spirituality stuff is great in theory but needs to be put into practice and in an environment that will present challenges. Literally!

Agreed.

Quote:
One of the messages of the Bhagavad Gita comes to mind about not withdrawing from, but engaging life. Isn't that the real path of growth and advancement?

Yes but back when the Gita was written there wasn't any internet forums. So "engaging in life" would likely mean going out in the world. That's where the real challenges will present itself. Bringing bigger opportunities for growth.
Old 25-11-2019, 01:17 PM
ImthatIm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn

When all is said and done, we resonate like a large family.[/b]
[/size][/font][/center]

1 LARGE family, well said.
Old 25-11-2019, 01:44 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean breeze
Yes but back when the Gita was written there wasn't any internet forums. So "engaging in life" would likely mean going out in the world. That's where the real challenges will present itself. Bringing bigger opportunities for growth.

True enough, but this is a form of engagement with many of the same aspects of a physical face-to-face setting. Also some aspects of stressors in real life come via email & snail mail, i.e. unexpected bills or bad news. Maybe an intermediate step between theory and real world application? A practice, if you will, much like sitting in meditation?

As opposed to finding a cave in the Himalayas or primitive hut on the Ganges and basically cutting one's self off from all human interaction unless absolutely necessary.
Old 25-11-2019, 03:08 PM
Master

Quote:
Okay, so the title of this post is click baitish, except I think the content is worthwhile. Maybe reverse click bait?

Aside from sharing experience, thoughts and information via linked sources, for me a big benefit is the diversity of beliefs, thoughts and opinions and the potential challenges that might present to one's ideas resulting in contemplation followed by either reassessment or reinforcement. Another huge benefit is being able to observe my posting pattern and behavior, examining my motivation and measuring that to my philosophical ideal. It's akin to meditation practice and I'd label it practice of philosophy.

So yeah, I consider it a very valuable tool for advancing spiritual development and I'd like to thank everyone and especially those I might disagree with because that's where the real opportunities for growth lie.

I often ask myself that question, mainly because many are here - especially it seems in the last few years - to project their own doubt, fear, and skepticism as if they want to be convinced by others as to the validity of their own awakening. They come here as emissaries of their own mental resistance and ego-rebellion against the emerging Spirit within themselves. That establishes the purpose of may discussions here.....the difficulties of relinquishing status-quo life orientation.

It is instructive because that construct is an externalized version of a very common internal battle that many spiritual aspirants experience, especially in the beginning, especially amongst those who are predominantly mental/intellectual/rational in character and temperament.

~ J
Old 25-11-2019, 03:56 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotir
I often ask myself that question, mainly because many are here - especially it seems in the last few years - to project their own doubt, fear, and skepticism as if they want to be convinced by others as to the validity of their own awakening. ~ J
And doesn't this show many have no place to get information to questions and no one in the area to talk to about things who they can trust (feel safe with). It isn't about projecting fear, it's about having a place one can be open and honest to even see if others feel the same. It is a relief to find companionship with others and to know I am not alone. Which is more important? I don't know if this is seen as an opposite answer to the exact same question. I agree with what was said but find imo, it is not one thing, trying to find it.
Old 25-11-2019, 04:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotir
I often ask myself that question, mainly because many are here - especially it seems in the last few years - to project their own doubt, fear, and skepticism as if they want to be convinced by others as to the validity of their own awakening. They come here as emissaries of their own mental resistance and ego-rebellion against the emerging Spirit within themselves. That establishes the purpose of may discussions here.....the difficulties of relinquishing status-quo life orientation.

It is instructive because that construct is an externalized version of a very common internal battle that many spiritual aspirants experience, especially in the beginning, especially amongst those who are predominantly mental/intellectual/rational in character and temperament.

~ J

Or maybe you've just become jaded.
Old 25-11-2019, 04:34 PM
JustASimpleGuy

I initially came here because I just had to get my recent string of experiences off my chest because they were unexpected, coming out of the blue. I tried with a friend and it wasn't optimal and he was the person I deemed most open to what I related. So here I am.

What's kept me here is working on stabilizing or coming more fully into my shift in consciousness. It's a supplement to the foundation content I've been pouring over online since then and also serves as a comparison to others' interpretations of the tenants I'm now studying.

Aside from the interesting concepts discussed and what I can learn and take away there's also pointers to useful content. Jyotir pointed me to "Vivekananda: The Yogas and Other Works" And Miss Hepburn piqued an interest in the "Bhagavad Gita". I'm alternating reading between both.