Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 02-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Master
Why stop at the Ressurection?

When Jesus died and rose from the grave showing his mastery over death and life. Why did he stop shortly after that and ascend to heaven? Why not continue his teachings? He obviously would of been able to shake more heads and beliefs with the knowledge that he was crucified and then returned from that and keep on teaching. What he said would be more effective.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:38 PM
HBuck72

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerlight
When Jesus died and rose from the grave showing his mastery over death and life. Why did he stop shortly after that and ascend to heaven? Why not continue his teachings? He obviously would of been able to shake more heads and beliefs with the knowledge that he was crucified and then returned from that and keep on teaching. What he said would be more effective.

Well it could be that the ressurection was an allegory for spiritual ressurection. I know in many western mystery traditions that deal with Jesus, it is taught that the "death" that Jesus suffered was the death of his ego, or his old self, and the "ressurection" was this spiritual transformation, much like the phoenix rising from the ashes. So under this theory he could have resurrected prior to his ministry, and the crucifiction was his physical death.

But to take the literal Christian view, I have often pondered that, have come up with two answers 1) Jesus ascended to heaven in order to have his disciples continue his work. Which raises the same circular arguments of Why? or 2) He simply did not physically ressurect.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBuck72
Well it could be that the ressurection was an allegory for spiritual ressurection. I know in many western mystery traditions that deal with Jesus, it is taught that the "death" that Jesus suffered was the death of his ego, or his old self, and the "ressurection" was this spiritual transformation, much like the phoenix rising from the ashes.

But to take the literal Christian view, I have often pondered that, have come up with two answers 1) Jesus ascended to heaven in order to have his disciples continue his work. Which raises the same circular arguments of Why? or 2) He simply did not physically ressurect.

Hi Hbuck,

Yes, I do understand the symbolical reasons that some say he never died he continued his life teaching in the east or something like that. He faked his death, or the book is not about real things but metaphors. Which sure I can see some of those..

But in the general interest of the question I asked it was in the literal sense of what is claimed to happen. Not in whether or not it actually happened.

I will comment on answer 2 that it could be possible that his did not physically resurrect.. However could it then not be said that he was really just a projection of spirit and that his body did pass on and never came back? If that were the case then he did not master life and death he died just like everyone else.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:53 PM
HBuck72

Quote:
I will comment on answer 2 that it could be possible that his did not physically resurrect.. However could it then not be said that he was really just a projection of spirit and that his body did pass on and never came back? If that were the case then he did not master life and death he died just like everyone else.

Possibly. However, the next question is whether or not it is really important whether or not he "actually" raised his "physical body". To me, if his spirit was able to manifest itself without the physical body on this material plane, it is even more powerful. Also, I believe the power of Jesus was in his teachings, so whether or not his corpse is buried in a hillside, or if it is in heaven, doesn't really matter to me. I believe he was a great teacher and that we are all the sons/daughters of God, so I don't get too tied to dogma

But to stay on the original topic of your thread (sorry I digress often chasing the proverbial rabbits). I have heard people state that Jesus basically resurrected to show that he "could" and to fulfill prophecies, after which he went on to heaven to have "his church" carry on his work. Not sure how much of that I believe of that honestly
Old 02-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBuck72
Possibly. However, the next question is whether or not it is really important whether or not he "actually" raised his "physical body". To me, if his spirit was able to manifest itself without the physical body on this material plane, it is even more powerful. Also, I believe the power of Jesus was in his teachings, so whether or not his corpse is buried in a hillside, or if it is in heaven, doesn't really matter to me. I believe he was a great teacher and that we are all the sons/daughters of God, so I don't get too tied to dogma

But to stay on the original topic of your thread (sorry I digress often chasing the proverbial rabbits). I have heard people state that Jesus basically resurrected to show that he "could" and to fulfill prophecies, after which he went on to heaven to have "his church" carry on his work. Not sure how much of that I believe of that honestly

Unless he was a ghost.... That would be a strong message that we too could be free of this body and be a pure spirit being. Perhaps that is what they teach will happen with the faith in Jesus, and eternal life.

Perhaps it was for his church to carry on for him. But why carry on when he could of done it? Was it more significant to stop at the ascension to fully allow people to see what they too could achieve? However I would then say that in 2000 people that not many have achieved such things as you don't see many spirit people manifest around us... Unless I truly am blind.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Ascender
Quote:

if jesus had mastery over death and life, why did he go through any thing he went though, why not just snap his fingers and have every one understand his teachings and live forever. it makes more sense if God has the power not jesus.

mj
Old 02-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Master
The whole idea of the story of Jesus is to teach others that they must die to their old self to be born new into their true inner Self the Christ, this is what Jesus taught as all other spiritual teachers teach also, we must go beyond the teacher and his teachings to experience our own inner Divine Self. By Jesus leaving the people he is telling them to let go of him, stop clinging to him, and become your own true Master.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
The whole idea of the story of Jesus is to teach others that they must die to their old self to be born new into their true inner Self the Christ, this is what Jesus taught as all other spiritual teachers teach also, we must go beyond the teacher and his teachings to experience our own inner Divine Self. By Jesus leaving the people he is telling them to let go of him, stop clinging to him, and become your own true Master.

Hi Robert,

I do hope you are well.. While this is a common new age belief, and a lot of others share such thoughts. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with them. Merely stating what is a common theory of what supposedly happened to Jesus. To me there seems to be a logical flaw in such a theory, but perhaps I am just to simple a man unable to see the bigger picture of what really happened and not what is said to have happened.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew James
if jesus had mastery over death and life, why did he go through any thing he went though, why not just snap his fingers and have every one understand his teachings and live forever. it makes more sense if God has the power not jesus.

mj

I would understand why he did go through what he did. After all we will believe what we see more than what we hear about. So for him to have that mastery he would have to prove it. And that would be what would of happened. Perhaps he had the mastery and never felt a thing. All that torture, and malice before his death was really just a walk in the park for him.. However, that does not seem logical as he shouted out why he was forsaken while on the cross.. Which also does point to him not knowing he would of mastered death. Perhaps all just a charade.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:09 PM
agiosotheos

He did say something to the effect that He could not have sent us the Holy Spirit as at Pentecost if He had not ascended into Heaven.