Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 23-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Dawn

Shaman

Here's hoping I posted this in the correct section. I really had no idea, so I sorta just took a wild guess. *^_^*

I remember fairly early on my spiritual path becoming very attuned to and with the plants around me, stones and crystals and animals. "Earthy" for lack of a better word to use. (Can't say I'm any good at mixing herbs, never been my calling, but I do love growing and tending to them. Helping them to simply "be".)
There was a point where I even made myself a couple of wands (nothing fancy, but using a stick, a few feathers, a bit of leather, a bell, and maybe a crystal or two), and I seemed to be very drawn to walking staffs. (I use to do a lot of walking. Now I think the large reason for that wasn't so much my circumstances, but, looking at the larger picture, helping me to get to know the earth around me, the ground I walked on, the nature and enviroment that surrounded me.)
One walking staff in particular was very nature orientated. Made of bamboo, sand and soil, bits of stone and crystal, fur and scale inside, feathers and leather wrapped to the outside, jangly bell of sorts attached to it, and a small, lone deer antler tied to the top. All of it wrapped up in a thin, lightweight cloth. All of the pieces (minus the cloth) given to me by nature.
After talking with Gabes the other evening about this (I hadn't thought about it in years to be honest, and it's been sitting in a corner of a cluttered room for years, simply gathering dust), I was reminded of it. As I held it, as I shook it and let the little metal pieces 'jangle', something occured to me. This was ceremonial. This IS ceremonial.
I have no idea of it's greater purpose or what I'm to do with it, but this got me thinking.
Once, around the time I'd made this, the subject came up about me probably being a shaman. I didn't think too much about it. Then the other evening, Gabes said the same thing. (I'd told her about a connection to a healing guide of mine. The symbol she's always used to communicate with me as been feathers.) That the feathers made her think of a shaman.

Now, I'm wondering, I'm thinking about this, trying to figure it out. Just what IS a shaman? How does it relate to me? What all does it intail?

Any advice or wisdom from someone who's walked a similar path, or has something they feel they'd like to share about this would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you most kindly in advance.
Old 23-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Master
I have no doubt that people such as yourself are 'naturals' at the shaman game, so to speak...if you're natural, you are doing something that others see as special without really knowing or trying all that hard, if at all. There very well could be a thread or two about what is a shaman or related around here. Hopefully if there is, somebody could search for it or find it fairly soon.

Old 23-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Master
Hi I get stuck with shaman but to me it's a person truly connected to nature. Ps I will respond to your pm
Old 23-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Master
http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...+a+shaman%3 F

I found this upon doing a search here at SF.

Old 23-07-2011, 10:02 PM
nightowl

Dawn,

There are a number of different views on what a shaman is and what shamanistic practices are, do your research as to show proper respect for those who are shamans. Good luck...

nightowl
Old 23-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Master
Is there a lot of controversy over what being a shaman is all about? I kind of get that feeling. But a few people I've known have told me they are viewed by those who know them and a bit themselves that they are either shaman or closely related and so I'm not sure how disrespectful that is, seeing as they didn't do their research, or minimal, but a common phrase is immitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I think that people who are 'wannabe's' are seeking something maybe in their past, their roots, which I think is pretty cool.

Old 23-07-2011, 10:26 PM
moke64916

Shamans have a deep connection with the spiritual world. They help damaged souls it is said. But they are deeply rooted with the spirit world.
Old 23-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Master
Moke, are their souls purportedly damaged because they had an nde or obe? I hadn't heard that one about them. Ty.

Old 23-07-2011, 10:39 PM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergirl
Is there a lot of controversy over what being a shaman is all about? I kind of get that feeling. But a few people I've known have told me they are viewed by those who know them and a bit themselves that they are either shaman or closely related and so I'm not sure how disrespectful that is, seeing as they didn't do their research, or minimal, but a common phrase is immitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I think that people who are 'wannabe's' are seeking something maybe in their past, their roots, which I think is pretty cool.

It can be a convoluted subject. For Native people, it is a touchy subject. Shaman can be defined as; wise folk, medicine man/woman, healers, and so on.
No disrespect to those who practice new age spirituality but it has diluted and reworked it in some areas that have been disrespectful to Native peoples. For many indigenous people it is a sacred call and is not taken lightly. It some times take years of extensive rigorous training. It has been said that shamanism chooses you, you do not choose it, which would imply that there are abilities that go hand and hand with it. I know some believe that abilities can be learned and that may be so for some things but not for others, it is not a practice that is lent itself to casual practice.

Now with that said there are tools and rituals 'practices' that can be used that are shamanistic in nature. The title of shaman in my understanding and in my opinion is not a term that should be assumed by anyone without pause. Just as reiki masters go through training before being conveyed the title so too is it with shamans.

I am sharing this from what I have learned, I am sure their are others with different views so one must search their spirit as to what feels right to them.

nightowl
Old 23-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Medium_Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
It can be a convoluted subject. For Native people, it is a touchy subject. Shaman can be defined as; wise folk, medicine man/woman, healers, and so on.
No disrespect to those who practice new age spirituality but it has diluted and reworked it in some areas that have been disrespectful to Native peoples. For many indigenous people it is a sacred call and is not taken lightly. It some times take years of extensive rigorous training. It has been said that shamanism chooses you, you do not choose it, which would imply that there are abilities that go hand and hand with it. I know some believe that abilities can be learned and that may be so for some things but not for others, it is not a practice that is lent itself to casual practice.

Now with that said there are tools and rituals 'practices' that can be used that are shamanistic in nature. The title of shaman in my understanding and in my opinion is not a term that should be assumed by anyone without pause. Just as reiki masters go through training before being conveyed the title so too is it with shamans.

I am sharing this from what I have learned, I am sure their are others with different views so one must search their spirit as to what feels right to them.

nightowl

Being Native, I agree with your post Nightowl, in that our culture "chose" Shamans and only then was it taught. They are holy/medicine people and are greatly revered in the tribe. They are healers and seers.