Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 25-07-2011, 06:55 AM
Deactivated Account

On the other forum the above is the kind of information I would receieve and nothing else :0

A polite basic info you already know but your not getting anymore!

(Not a personal response to you Enya)
Old 25-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Dawn

Hm. Wouldn't exactally be the biggest amount of assitance. It's like being hungry enough for a 3 course meal, but all you get is a cookie.
Old 26-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athymari
Never said anything about calling or wanting to call myself a shaman ^^

But as this meditation involved trees and animals and rattles/sticks and spirits, healing/cleansing, its the closest thing I could find as to what it means.

I am not asking for a 'prove its real or powerful'. I believe it is.

Good for you. I wasn't saying you were. I was adding my thoughts. You are not the only one on this thread.

This response really rubs me the wrong way. I'm not sure what you think anyone owes you.

Good luck all the same with whatever thing you've got going on.

peace ~
Old 26-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Deactivated Account

Owes me...?

Here we go..
Old 26-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Dawn

~*passes out cookies*~

No fighting here please. If you want to duke it out, think of sparkles and butterflies instead.

Think of the sparkly butterflies!
Old 26-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athymari
Owes me...?

Here we go..

Just being honest Athymari. I do hope you figure it out. No offense intended. Perhaps i was too harsh though, i apologize, was in a reactionary mood this morning.

You may want to look into to Druidism? (is that a proper word..) they are naturey people also.[edit- looking back a page i see Enya has pointed out Druids as well] I don't understand what information would be acceptable to you. The best bet would be to speak directly face to face with a Shaman if you are serious about it and if that is an option for you.

Or go out into nature, the forest or wherever, meditate there. I always find a hike through the woods or up a mountain, to the river etc. does something refreshing to me, it also changes my energetic/emotional & mental state as well. I remember feeling different every time i spend any amount of time deep in nature, when i go mushroom picking or whathaveyou. Then there is the possibility of meeting animals too. I feel they offer help with the Spiritual path, and are intimately connected with us, as guides and all that.

Mmmm, cookies. Yummy! *nom nom nom gobble gobble*
Old 27-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Deactivated Account

Cookies look nice, but after those Rocks I better not!

It just that that is the kind of response I have always gotten on this subject Deudrum and there is only so much one can take.

I have several books on shamanism, basic how-to and concepts, but I always take book like this with a pinch of salt as one can writing about anything but not always understand it.

Many have said about being chosen for it, you cant just label yourself, which is fine, however it is extremely frustrating when you are genuinely trying to find answers or explanations to something you have experienced and get constantly treated like a new ager looking for the next 'in thing'. My experiences was several years ago and I just dropped it from being blindsided when trying to find out and general lack of info.

I am going to be looking into Druidism again also as they seem to cross.

Just hoped that someone might have more insight into it then books can give, hopeful someone who has had experience, not just knowledge. It like finding out you have a natural gift for the piano. Its natural to look to other piano players isnt it? Find if its something you should be looking into?
Old 27-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enya
'Shaman' is a word which originates in the tundra areas of Siberia and which is mistakenly now applied to native north and south americans. In the traditional communities, such a person would never be named as such but be known as a medicine or wise wo/man to go to, just as in the past, herbwitches or wise women were approached in the UK.

I'm going to use this as a jump off point, because it's true, and all too ignored when it comes to discussing 'shamanism'.

As Enya said, shamans are Siberian tribal figures who act as a conduit between the seen and unseen. And now the term is applied to various other cultures and roles that are perceived to be similar. But the problem with that is that is eventually leads to distortion and misunderstanding. It can be likened to applying the term 'priest' as a catchall across various religions. The priests might have a particular role, but there can also be lots of differences in how they operate and what their job is.

Most liminal spirit workers (which is a much more useful catchall than shaman ) don't seek out their job, but rather have it thrust upon them by the spirits that they'll eventually communicate with and serve. The call is almost always in the form of prolonged incurable illness, or sudden tragedy that doesn't abate until the person listens to the call and finds an elder to be trained.

Of course, one doesn't have to be plagued by spirits & illness to become a spirit-worker. Just as you don't have to have graduated culinary school and have had a lifetime passion of food to cook a meal. But, in many traditional cultures, a person called to their role is usually seen as more better off when it comes to dealing with unseen folk, than those who willingly take it up. There's also the issue that many cultures viewed/view liminal people as being weird and dangerous; that and the hardship associated with the role make it strange for a person to willingly take up the job.

The final thing to keep in mind that shamans/traditional spirit-workers are defined in that their role is always for the community. It's not about personal fulfillment or even a personal interest in the subject. They take up the role to serve the people, because it's considered good to have that guy around in case things get hairy. Not everyone wants to fare out into the otherworld and go barking up trees for stuff.

So, to bring my rambling to an end lol... I personally think shaman is a problematic term, both in anthropology & personal titles, unless you lived with Siberian reindeer herders
I have no issue with spirit-working. I just think it's important to not misuse terms.

/ramble
Old 27-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Dawn

~*big hugs to Deusdrum and Athymari*~

Deusdrum, ohhh I've noticed that myself. I mean, pfft! Even just walking out in the yard barefoot, standing in a muddle of soft, warm mud...there's something grounding and refreshing about it I find difficult to properly put into words.

~*giggles*~ Athymari, I know what you mean. Those rock crystals are so nommable! ~*noms*~

And Athymari, I hear you on that one. You sort of want to hang around others who know about what you're talking about. heh, it's why I hang out over in the Crystals & Gemstones section as much as I do lol ^_^U
Sometimes I learn something new by hanging around there, sometimes I can help others a bit, and sometimes I just sit back and (figuratively speaking) drool over the pretty pictures of stones and crystals. *^____^*

The only tricky part with this is trying to find just where and in what company to be, as well as being around others who will compliment you, and you compliment them. I mean, I could've hung out with rock hounds (you know, the people who have the digging machines and pull these 'rocks' from the earth), but that wouldn't have been a complimentary enviroment for me.

~*big hugs to you Athymari*~ I do hope you find a good place to hang around at concerning this subject, and hey, you know, I may not be any sort of expert or pro (still learning as I go), but I'll always welcome you in my company. ^_^
Old 27-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn
~*big hugs to Deusdrum and Athymari*~

Deusdrum, ohhh I've noticed that myself. I mean, pfft! Even just walking out in the yard barefoot, standing in a muddle of soft, warm mud...there's something grounding and refreshing about it I find difficult to properly put into words.

~*giggles*~ Athymari, I know what you mean. Those rock crystals are so nommable! ~*noms*~

And Athymari, I hear you on that one. You sort of want to hang around others who know about what you're talking about. heh, it's why I hang out over in the Crystals & Gemstones section as much as I do lol ^_^U
Sometimes I learn something new by hanging around there, sometimes I can help others a bit, and sometimes I just sit back and (figuratively speaking) drool over the pretty pictures of stones and crystals. *^____^*

The only tricky part with this is trying to find just where and in what company to be, as well as being around others who will compliment you, and you compliment them. I mean, I could've hung out with rock hounds (you know, the people who have the digging machines and pull these 'rocks' from the earth), but that wouldn't have been a complimentary enviroment for me.

~*big hugs to you Athymari*~ I do hope you find a good place to hang around at concerning this subject, and hey, you know, I may not be any sort of expert or pro (still learning as I go), but I'll always welcome you in my company. ^_^

Well Dawn, I figured if we are only gonna get the 'will give you the beyond basic but then tell you to go away if you ask more' (from anywhere), we would just have to band together ourselves and figure it out!