Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 25-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Niebla0007

Mystics or Mistaken Mystics?

Shouldn't we must first look at what a mystic is?
A MYSTIC is one who, while living in this world of matter, believes in the existence of an immaterial world and seeks contact with it.
For be it known that the mistaken mystic is the source of all the sects which exist. The mistaken mystic is never the author of a new system of thought, a new philosophy, or a new religion.

from http://www.wisdomworld.org/setting/mistaken.html
Old 28-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebla0007
The mistaken mystic is never the author of a new system of thought, a new philosophy, or a new religion.
So why are we to assume that new systems of thought are somehow superior? Just because they're new and different? Anyway, your comment isn't true really. There have been many religious and new-age individuals who have invented their own unique belief systems, and then try and get others to buy into those beliefs.
Old 28-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Master
A mystic is one who has no beliefs, has no dogma's, they see the truth within all, they read the scriptures with spiritual discernment. They can have no beliefs because what is within can never be conceptualized, what is within is a mystery which can never be known by the mere mind, and hence, the mystic.
Old 28-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Niebla0007

Wink

Thank you Psychoslice,
That is a spot on definition of the mystery within to find.

Baile, I am glad you asked.
And presumably,you would have gone to the site given above to read the whole article, not just the statements I've written above to highlight. This article would be a good thing to read for somebody before calling him/herself a mystic. It is only an idea of a mystic and a mistaken mystic I came across with
I thought worth sharing under Theosophy, it is not to sell the belief.
I will only congratulate all those religious and new-age individuals who have invented their own unique belief systems -
which means they have found their own true calling and spirituality.
Old 30-01-2013, 02:55 PM
arrive-becomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
A mystic is one who has no beliefs, has no dogma's, they see the truth within all, they read the scriptures with spiritual discernment. They can have no beliefs because what is within can never be conceptualized, what is within is a mystery which can never be known by the mere mind, and hence, the mystic.

Agreed apart from the last line.

If the mystic learns how to effectively use his mind he can do procedures similar to compression and cryptography in computer systems.

You can condense an intense experience into an easy to open file, sometimes using marked symbols or analogy to compress lessons they would learn exploring the Mystic Megacosm. These can be done using writings which may be incomprehensible to somebody else but clear to the Mystic himself. Some of these are the basis for religions such as the Bahai faith. The four valleys and the seven valleys books describe places almost all mystics are familliar with in the symbolic nature of their inner journeys, even in the way the appearance of each achievement seems to the individual mystic.

"Many a Jacob he sees wandering in quest of Joseph. A world of friends he beholds, who are running in search of the Desired One, and a universe of lovers he finds, who are journeying after the Beloved One.

At every moment he perceives a new matter, and at every hour he becomes informed of a mystery; for he has lifted his heart from both worlds and intended to attain the Ka'aba (the goal) of the Beloved.

At every step the assistance of the Invisible surrounds him, and the ardour of his search increases."

Start of p55 in the physical book, but I think it's the second page of this online copy which can be found on sacred-texts.org

I am not Bahai myself.
Old 31-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Baile, I am glad you asked.
I thought worth sharing under Theosophy, it is not to sell the belief.
I will only congratulate all those religious and new-age individuals who have invented their own unique belief systems -
which means they have found their own true calling and spirituality.
That explains things a bit Niebla, thanks. But a mystic IMO is someone who studies and explores any of the occult and esoteric mystery wisdom streams that have already been identified and documented over the centuries.

But what happens today is that everyone and their grandparents ends up creating their own belief system and version of wisdom. Spiritual discussion websites are little more than Facebook or Twitter for "What's spiritually hot today?!" crowd. So no, I don't agree with you. It's a fallacy to believe that whatever beliefs we create for ourselves, and whatever feels good and is comfortable for us, has significant spiritual depth. It's people learning to playing chopsticks on the piano and then believing they're musical virtuosos.
Old 31-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Bluegreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
It's a fallacy to believe that whatever beliefs we create for ourselves, and whatever feels good and is comfortable for us, has significant spiritual depth.

Don't you think this is a rather bold statement?

People are spiritual in varying degrees and if they have a belief systems that feel good to them then that is the 'spiritual depth' they need at that particular time in their lives. All roads lead to Rome.
Old 31-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegreen
Don't you think this is a rather bold statement?

People are spiritual in varying degrees and if they have a belief systems that feel good to them then that is the 'spiritual depth' they need at that particular time in their lives. All roads lead to Rome.
I'm not talking about the new-age discussion board concept of "being spiritual." We're all spiritual, sure. I was specifically addressing Niebla's thread topic with regards to what a mystic is, and what a mystic is understood to be from a historical occult and esoteric perspective.

Do I believe that whatever subjective belief system we choose to embrace can be spiritually relevent for us? Yes. Do I believe those subjective beliefs have great occult and esoteric depth and significance? No. Compared to higher truths, they're shallow and temporal precisely because they're subjective. As I said, what "feels good spiritually" for someone doesn't necessarily have a lot to do with mystics and with mysticism.
Old 31-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Master
Quote:
I will only congratulate all those religious and new-age individuals who have invented their own unique belief systems
From the article you posted:

There never was a religious founder who invented a new religion. Krishna, Buddha, Jesus, were all transmitters of the one Truth.

That's exactly what I'm talking about when I point out the difference between people who create their own belief systems and truths, and mystics who traditionally study and follow the great occult and esoteric mystery paths.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:32 AM
Niebla0007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
There never was a religious founder who invented a new religion. Krishna, Buddha, Jesus, were all transmitters of the one Truth.

That's exactly what I'm talking about when I point out the difference between people who create their own belief systems and truths, and mystics who traditionally study and follow the great occult and esoteric mystery paths.

This subject is about what your opinion of what a mystic is.

As for religion, to me this is just a belief system, and the "service and worship of God or the supernatural". And every religion has to have a founder;
Yes, and most founders take bits and pieces of existing beliefs and incorporate them in developing their systems.