Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 29-12-2012, 03:42 AM
new_earth

New Thought

I notice there are no New Thought posts around here...Really my entire spiritual journey led me to it, specifically Religious Science. There are different denominations, but all are for the most part, the same. It pretty much sums up the truth in all religions, is VERY mystical and metaphysical, very deep and promotes the idea that our thoughts create our reality, life and experiences. I personally prefer the Religious Science denomination and looooove Ernest Holmes. I am surprised to not see anything on it here. It has a lot of similarities to what we would call 'new age'. I was sooo happy to have found one solid 'religion' that sums up ALL of my beliefs into one place. For anyone who never heard of it, if you just google "wiki Religious Science" and "wiki New Thought". I believe most people here would really relate to what they read. (as a newbie I can't post links yet)

I never thought I would walk into a church be called "lightworkers"...
Old 30-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_earth
I notice there are no New Thought posts around here...Really my entire spiritual journey led me to it, specifically Religious Science. There are different denominations, but all are for the most part, the same. It pretty much sums up the truth in all religions, is VERY mystical and metaphysical, very deep and promotes the idea that our thoughts create our reality, life and experiences. I personally prefer the Religious Science denomination and looooove Ernest Holmes. I am surprised to not see anything on it here. It has a lot of similarities to what we would call 'new age'. I was sooo happy to have found one solid 'religion' that sums up ALL of my beliefs into one place. For anyone who never heard of it, if you just google "wiki Religious Science" and "wiki New Thought". I believe most people here would really relate to what they read. (as a newbie I can't post links yet)

I never thought I would walk into a church be called "lightworkers"...

new_earth - Welcome to the forum! Thank you for bringing this information to SF. I did google "New Thought" and read up on it. I agree with the doctrine for the most part, except for when New Thought says, "...sickness originates in the mind, and "right thinking" has a healing effect." This can be true in many cases, but it is not true in all cases. People who are born with disabilities or develop debilitating illnesses later on in life, can't just use the power of positive "right" thinking to end their suffering. I'm open-minded when it comes to this sort of life philosophy. It reminds me of "The Power of Now" a bit, but I've worked with people with serious disorders and have a sibling that can't have a normal life because of hers. All would give anything in life to experience a healing effect, even if it meant healing just a bit. All religions try to explain the cause of suffering and although I've studied many, I've never found one to be without holes in their explanation. So I accept that there are things we just don't understand in this life. Evil cannot be packaged up neatly and neither can a solution to all human suffering. I just accept the things that can't be explained and try to understand those that do. Again, I appreciate you talking about "New Thought" and most of it makes sense to combine all religions/philosophies into one cohesive train of thinking. However, in my opinion even that notion could have holes in it.

What drew you to it?

Blackraven
Old 31-12-2012, 02:09 AM
new_earth

That part gets a lot of people, but it's not to be taken entirely literally and is frequently misunderstood. And it doesn't refer to disabilities people are born with.

It also does not 'blame' people for wrong thinking when they are sick or get a disease. But instead there is belief that changing something in our thinking, along with prayer AND necessary medicine from doctors, can all aid in healing. It does not blame a person for getting sick, and does not neglect traditional medicine. That phrase used in the description of New Thought seems to mislead many people. Have you ever read the Celestine Prophecy? Not sure if it was in the first or second book, but it gets into it there as well. The guy fell and hurt his leg, and the lady explained to him that he fell on purpose to feel that pain, and it goes into deeper spiritual explanation. It is along the same lines. Actually the author of those books, James Redfield, belongs to a New Thought denomination (Unity).

Strangely, around 11 years ago I thought it would be cool to have a religion called "Religious Science" because I loved both religion and science. So I googled 'religious science' and found there already was one LOL. I didn't really read about it at the time though, then years later in 2008 I was looking for spiritual churches in my area and found a Religious Science church nearby. Been there ever since.

And yes, Power of Now/Eckhart Tolle, Wayne Dyer, Neal Donald Walsh, Deepak Chopra, are all basically considered New Thought and all highly respected and read by members of all the denominations.
Old 31-12-2012, 02:48 AM
New Thought ?
I asked for any Emmet Fox books and CDs for Christmas.
I think I have read almost every
NewThought author, Katherine Ponder, Charles Fillmore, Eric Butterworth,
Joel, John Randolph Price.Holmes, Florence Shinn...they were all on the cutting edge
of the most profound breakthroughs in human expansion of consciousness...as JRPrice's book "The Superbeings" says basically we are on the threshold and are meant to be and are becoming Superbeings. And that was over 30 yrs ago.
Yes, please google New Thought and find out about these amazingly high people...eventually moving into Unity Church and other things, Science of Mind....
New Thought is MY THING!

They were like Abraham-Hicks, but with no channeling!!
That we can be and do and have and become anything in this Universe, there is no limit.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 31-12-2012, 03:22 AM
new_earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
New Thought ?
I asked for any Emmet Foxx books and CDs for Christmas.
I think I have read almost every
NewThought author, Katherine Ponder, Charles Fillmore, Eric Butterworth,
Joel, John Randolph Price.Holmes, Josephine Finn? Is it.....they were all on the cutting edge
of the most profound breakthroughs in human expansion of consciousness...as JRPrice's book "The Superbeings" says basically we are on the threshold and are meant to be and are becoming Superbeings. And that was over 30 yrs ago.
Yes, please google New Thought and find out about these amazingly high people...eventually moving into Unity Church and other things, Science of Mind....
New Thought is MY THING!

They were like Abraham-Hicks, but with no channeling!!
That we can be and do and have and become anything in this Universe, there is no limit.

Yay I'm not alone on this :) Science of Mind (Religious Science) is what I resonate with most. First time I saw Ernest Holmes' "I Believe" at my local church (my first day there) I could not believe my eyes....I cried. It's nice to be home :)
Old 31-12-2012, 05:51 AM
Master
Quote:
That part gets a lot of people, but it's not to be taken entirely literally and is frequently misunderstood. And it doesn't refer to disabilities people are born with.

It also does not 'blame' people for wrong thinking when they are sick or get a disease. But instead there is belief that changing something in our thinking, along with prayer AND necessary medicine from doctors, can all aid in healing. It does not blame a person for getting sick, and does not neglect traditional medicine. That phrase used in the description of New Thought seems to mislead many people. Have you ever read the Celestine Prophecy? Not sure if it was in the first or second book, but it gets into it there as well. The guy fell and hurt his leg, and the lady explained to him that he fell on purpose to feel that pain, and it goes into deeper spiritual explanation. It is along the same lines. Actually the author of those books, James Redfield, belongs to a New Thought denomination (Unity).

Strangely, around 11 years ago I thought it would be cool to have a religion called "Religious Science" because I loved both religion and science. So I googled 'religious science' and found there already was one LOL. I didn't really read about it at the time though, then years later in 2008 I was looking for spiritual churches in my area and found a Religious Science church nearby. Been there ever since.

And yes, Power of Now/Eckhart Tolle, Wayne Dyer, Neal Donald Walsh, Deepak Chopra, are all basically considered New Thought and all highly respected and read by members of all the denominations.

new_earth - Thank you for your additional explanation. I have read both Celestine Prophecy books and have tapes by this author's wife. I read them when they first came out a number of years ago. I also have read numerous books by Tolle, Dyer, Walsh and Chopra. I have been of a "new age" mind set for some 30 years or more. With your additional explanation of "new thought" it would appear I've been following a "new thought" lifestyle most of my life other than my earlier upbringing as a child. Just didn't know there was a type of church dedicated to it. Very interesting.

Blackraven
Old 31-12-2012, 04:26 PM
HOW could I have left out
Emily Curtis Hopkins!!!!! D. 1925 the Founder of New Thought!!!!
Eyeroll.

Later I will post some quotes of hers and maybe others.
There are a couple of us here that are aware of New Thought.

A friend has a job for me: find all and any Science of Mind books at Thrift Stores so
she can pass them to friends.
I did get one that Ernest Holmes signed!

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 31-12-2012, 10:32 PM
new_earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
new_earth - Thank you for your additional explanation. I have read both Celestine Prophecy books and have tapes by this author's wife. I read them when they first came out a number of years ago. I also have read numerous books by Tolle, Dyer, Walsh and Chopra. I have been of a "new age" mind set for some 30 years or more. With your additional explanation of "new thought" it would appear I've been following a "new thought" lifestyle most of my life other than my earlier upbringing as a child. Just didn't know there was a type of church dedicated to it. Very interesting.

Blackraven

Yes, exactly the same for me. That's why I was so happy when I found it. It was everything I've been into all these years, wrapped into one, with an actual physical place to meet with like minds. The most popular New Thought denominations are Unity, Religious Science (aka Science of Mind) and Divine Science. They are all similar, but in my opinion and experience Religious Science was the closest to 'new age' for me. *Technically* speaking they don't call themselves new age, but believe that new age has stemmed from New Thought. Michael Bernard Beckwith, if you've ever heard from him, who has the Agape church in California, is also of Religious Science. The church itself is as well.
Old 31-12-2012, 10:34 PM
new_earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
HOW could I have left out
Emily Curtis Hopkins!!!!! D. 1925 the Founder of New Thought!!!!
Eyeroll.

Later I will post some quotes of hers and maybe others.
There are a couple of us here that are aware of New Thought.

A friend has a job for me: find all and any Science of Mind books at Thrift Stores so
she can pass them to friends.
I did get one that Ernest Holmes signed!

Actual reading-wise, I have mostly only read Ernest Holmes front to back. I have many of his books. His words and the way he says them are exactly how I would say them, and how I always believed. Every time I pick up one of his books and start reading, I feel like I never read it before. It always feels new. I think because it is just the truth :)
Old 01-01-2013, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Actual reading-wise, I have mostly only read Ernest Holmes front to back. I have many of his books. His words and the way he says them are exactly how I would say them, and how I always believed. Every time I pick up one of his books and start reading, I feel like I never read it before. It always feels new. I think because it is just the truth :)
Exactly.
Any random paragraph on any page of all those I mentioned are the same as
Ernest Holmes...like fresh water to a hungry soul, really shocking they have such a gift of teaching.
I bet you would loooove Practicing the Presence by Joel S. Goldsmith...if
you ever venture out to others, but I could give you a list!!