Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 28-11-2012, 01:14 AM
Pinkroses

Explaining God to Kids

My daughter recently asked me: "If God created us, then who created God?" She wanted to know where he came from and if he had parents too.

I did my best to explain. I told her that no one really knows where God came from, but that some people believe he was always here. I then went on to explain that God is not a person like us. I said that he is a powerful force that is present in all things and all around us. I told her he is kind of like the wind or the air. She seemed to understand, and I hope I helped to explain things without confusing her.

I'm curious about how others handle this topic. For those of you who have children, how do/did you explain God to them?
Old 28-11-2012, 02:06 AM
Master
I think you did well, so many children are quickly indoctrinated by their parents or priest, their minds are then set forever on that image, and that image they worship.
Old 28-11-2012, 02:36 AM
Henri77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkroses
I then went on to explain that God is not a person like us. I said that he is a powerful force that is present in all things and all around us. I told her he is kind of like the wind or the air. She seemed to understand, and I hope I helped to explain things without confusing her.

That's a lovely explanation I'd say.
Wish someone had told me that
Yet I kinda enjoyed being an altar boy & singing in church choir without giving a lot of thought to who god was, as a youth.
Old 28-11-2012, 03:41 AM
Master

Kids are so literal. They take in everything we say. When my daughter was about 3, we took her to the movies and right before they rolled the ads, a voice came over the loudspeaker. "Please don't talk during the movie. Remember, Silence is Golden." In the quiet after that announcement, she piped up, "Was that God?" The people all laughed, and then when they stopped, she said, "What was so funny?" and they started again.

I think I remember telling my children that God is everywhere. I don't remember them ever asking me who created God - that's awesome! Now that I am older and wiser, I would ask them what they think about that. They just came from the Other Side. They probably have a lot to say about it. Some of them can remember their past lives. I think that is fascinating. I never knew that, or I would have asked them. I'm not sure how I would have asked, but I would have been too curious not too LOL. Of course, I would have found out that my daughter was my older sister and my friend, and my son was my older brother and I his little sister. It's funny how that translated to this life. My daughter always felt like she was the Mom (no matter how hard I tried to be the Mom) and my son treated me frequently like an annoying irritant LOL.

So it's a great question. Good luck with that. :)
Old 28-11-2012, 04:07 AM
Henri77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless
Kids are so literal.

I would ask them what they think about that. They just came from the Other Side. They probably have a lot to say about it.
:)

I was thinking that as well.....

Saw a video about angels... and the director asked a small class of children what angels were.
He got some great answers from kids.

ACTUALLY it was about fairies, not angels...now that I recall,,,. which is even cooler, as some had seen them.
Old 29-11-2012, 12:24 AM
Toolite

I think your explanation was great. God and his Angels as well as the other side always was. We are extensions but just children in spirit because we came after. God Bless.
Glory To God
Old 29-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Pinkroses

Thank you all for your responses. My daughter has never said anything that would suggest she remembers the Other Side or past lives. However, there are some nights where she says she sees "ghosts." She has even pointed to them and tries to show me where she sees them, but I never see anything more than a shadow. One time she told me the ghost was in my hair. I am always trying to reassure her that whatever she sees can't hurt her, that she is safe. I also remind her that she could be seeing an angel that is watching over us.
Old 29-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Toolite

It sounds like she can see crossed and not crossed. Her Angels will protect her always.
Glory To God
Old 29-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Experiencer
I also think you did a great job. I like the thought of comparing God to the wind - good stuff.

My children are older now, but they used to ask a lot of hard questions like that too. As my understanding has grown and changed, so has the answer I would probably give now. And I think that answer would be - cheesy as this may sound - that my conception of God is rather like The Force in Star Wars. As you explained, it is all around us, an energy that pervades everything and exists within us as well.

I think too that the way The Force was portrayed in Star Wars held some great lessons - like the pitfalls of using it for selfish means, using the power of it to control or manipulate others, etc. I've actually read some things that suggest that the way Lucas portrayed the interaction between the forces of good and evil in Star Wars very closely mirrors some sacred esoteric teachings. Interesting, eh? ;)

Many Blessings,

Qkev
Old 29-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Pinkroses

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumKev
And I think that answer would be - cheesy as this may sound - that my conception of God is rather like The Force in Star Wars. As you explained, it is all around us, an energy that pervades everything and exists within us as well.

I don't think that sounds cheesy at all. In fact, I think The Force is a great way to explain God! :)