Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 29-04-2013, 03:19 PM
missrachel300

Yes, these are all assumptions. I think we can agree on that.

I didnt mean to imply that the angle I entertained would actually happen, just only maybe a possibility. Sometimes people in fragile states react unpredictably.

I believe we all approach life in different ways and we all respond to life in different ways as well. And I believe its best to be mindful of that.

I dont think I am underestimating what others can relate to (at least I dont think I am).
I am sharing ideas from experiences that I have come across in my own life.
I am entertaining all possibilities. I want to be aware that anything can happen, but I always hope for the best.

I dont think there is anything wrong with your silliness. I didnt think there was anything dismissive about it in 'reality', just that sometimes there are unintended consequences that happen in life.
Like I didnt intend to imply that anyone here was stupid, I intended to share thoughts that could hopefully provide some clarity... into different ways of thinking and responding. I was sharing what I felt was a very heartfelt concern that could benefit in case of a less than ideal outcome, lol.

In my eyes, silliness is a blessing.
Your story about your friends passing is beautiful, I'm glad you could share it with others. It sounds like it was a very life affirming experience.

In my heart, I hope that elles friend responds well and agrees that her guilt is only silly.
Old 29-04-2013, 04:34 PM
StephenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by missrachel300
I believe we all approach life in different ways and we all respond to life in different ways as well. And I believe its best to be mindful of that.
Of course! In a room of ten people there will be ten ways of seeing... that's the magic that makes each one of us unique... :^)
Old 29-04-2013, 04:58 PM
missrachel300

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenK
Of course! In a room of ten people there will be ten ways of seeing... that's the magic that makes each one of us unique... :^)

Isnt that the truth.

Although, I would probably say magic, or mayhem. Lol.

Lets hope for magic.
Old 30-04-2013, 01:04 PM
Guide
Thank you all for your insight. The friend is Christian and feels that only God has the right to take away someones life. Accordingly, his perception of the act of turning off the life support machine was that he performed an act akin to taking his grandfather's life.

I am very careful to tread as compassionately snd diplomatically as possible, as having been raised Greek Orthodox I do appreciate, my spuritual path maynot resonate with many.

I haven't logged on much over the last 6 months, but can really see how much I have progressed on my path since then, it is all good!

Namaste

Prosperity is a state of mind and soul
Old 30-04-2013, 01:28 PM
StephenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellespirit
Thank you all for your insight. The friend is Christian and feels that only God has the right to take away someones life. Accordingly, his perception of the act of turning off the life support machine was that he performed an act akin to taking his grandfather's life.

Actually your friend has it backwards. The "doctors" were playing god by hooking his grandfather up to those machines. Your friend simply removed that influence and things progressed as god would have wanted. Your friend assisted god by "doing the right thing". In this regard he should comfortably be at peace with this decision...
Old 30-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Master
So true and well said Stephen.
Old 30-04-2013, 10:13 PM
LadyImpreza1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellespirit
Hi, I recently had a discussion with a friend who had advised his grandfather had, had a stroke and was on life support for some months. He had the responsibilty of the decision to turn off the machine. He has since then been carrying the guilt of feeling he is responsible for his grandfathers death.

My understanding, which could be wrong so please enlighten me... Is that his grandfather's soul left with his stroke, and the life support machine was just keeping his physical body oxygenated. When the machine came off his physical body completed the process commenced with the stroke.

Your thoughts please?

Has he been carrying the guilt because other people put that guilt on his shoulders? Explain to him that if he took his last breath after the plug was pulled, then he wouldn't have ever come out of a coma even if he was kept on life support. The only thing he did was the unselfish thing...........refusing to keep someone hooked up to a ventilator that would never otherwise have woke up.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:31 AM
StephenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
So true and well said Stephen.

Thank you Psy...! And I second LadyImpreza111's observations! This really is pretty cut and dry...
Old 06-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator
Strangely, feelings of guilt are often a natural part of grieving. Nearly everyone who grieves feels guilt in one way or another, either very briefly, or for a time. Even when presented with completely logical argument about why they should not feel any guilt, and they have done nothing wrong.
I don't know why this is so.
Grief is a very complex experience.

Anyway to answer the original question, then a life-support machine simply keeps the mechanics of the body going. Even when there is no enlivening Soul within that body. It's a purely mechanical thing. If the enlivening part of the person were there, life-support machines wouldn't be needed.
It is my opinion that the Soul vacated the body, and the machines kept oxygen coming and going, blood pumping, etc. And that was all.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Master
People in this thread should feel a little more compassion, towards the person who has the responsibility of turning off the machines. Not everyone is at the level of understanding and has the knowledge about the body/soul/spirit etc.

He would be better suited to talk to someone who has been through the same experience. Or maybe even a doctor who has had families in similar situations would offer some comfort.