Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Closed Thread

Old 31-03-2007, 01:07 AM
Knower
The Mormons (the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints)

http://www.mormon.org/ - the LDS (latter day saint, what we prefer to be called)

i find it very interesting that people have some very incorrect preconcieved ideas of us LDS members and would like to disillusion you and inform you of what we believe.....so fire away with the questions.....
Old 01-04-2007, 07:28 AM
imageimaginer

Is that the church where they believe that Jesus came back as another person? If not then what is it all about and who is Mormon?
Old 04-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Muddler

I do not grasp how your founder, Joseph Smith (right?) came into possession of & translated certain ancient language texts. I also do not understand where your church is relative to mainstream christianity.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:54 AM
Knower
hmm well let me begin with that Jesus will come back again in the same form as before. We believe in divine revelation in this modern world. He recieved a commandment from God to get the ancient records of the Americas buried in the Hilcomorah (SIC). where he found the records along with other things including a crystal called a Urim and Thummim. he used this stone to translate the scriptures. Well i dont quite know what you mean by mainstream christiananity but we believe in Christ , Baptism by Immersion at the age of 8 (aka age of accountability), and let me just post the articles of faith....
Old 06-04-2007, 02:56 AM
Knower
The Articles of Faith:
1. We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4. We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5. We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6. We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7. We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9. We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10. We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13. We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.
—Joseph Smith
Old 06-04-2007, 02:57 AM
Knower
a mormon is a member of the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints,
Old 06-04-2007, 11:35 AM
angelicious

Awesome post. I've always wanted to know what Mormans were about, cheers. You've definitely cleared some misgivings I had about this faith. Thank you for sharing.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:52 PM
kundalini

Hi Que Kakashi,

Thanks for clarifying your beliefs. Very interesting.

Kundalini.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Muddler

I agree - your articles of faith are far closer to baseline (used a different word, he he) Christianity than I realised. I don't want to highlight the sensational at all, but can you give the background to the history of the americas & the translation. I'd like to know more. Is this the basis for the Book of Mormon? Also, what is the substance to Zion being rebuilt in America? Is there a sense of where?
Old 07-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Knower

Hey Que Kakashi!! Off topic, what does that mean?

Ok. I'll start by laying myself out and please know that I am not judging your faith, I just have a lack of understanding and many honest questions.

I have no religion, I wasn't baptised, and I call myself spiritual. What I know of the LDS is only what I have learned in my world religions class. Please clear up anything incorrect, as I am only learning.

Joseph Smith was guided my an angel to the burial site of these old plates that had written on them the message of the Mormon religion and all that it entails. He was told to translate and copy these words down by hand and then return it to the same site where he dug them up and rebury them. He never showed anybody the existence of these plates because he said death would occur to that person and ultimately there was never actually any proof. The Book of Mormon was released and some people caught on, many did not and accused him of being a liar.

Here is what I am having trouble understanding:
How come Joseph felt as though he had to compete with other religions for his followers and why did he need to create his own little Utopia for Mormons secluded from others? It is as if he hoarded these people like candy. I understand that they were ridiculed by those deemed "gentiles", but I can't help but feel that this almost sounds cultish-like. People just followed! Were they just ready for something new? And once again setting themselves apart from the rest of the world by giving the non-Mormons a general nickname to call. Is it easier that way? Though it is nothing unpleasant, I feel as though it represents those of us who are not as fortunate in the eyes of a Mormon to follow in Joseph's, or the LDS, footsteps.

Lastly, how did the general mass of Mormons end up over in Utah and such areas? I live in a town where Mormon boys, I think fresh out of high school, have been sent to live for 1-2 years as part of their assignment and fulfillment of their duty to God. It is just what they do, they say, as in there is no other option they would choose. Why is their mission to press their beliefs upon every single door in town despite how many times they have knocked in the past? I will say though, I have never met a rude Mormon. I invited two boys into my living room to sit down and chat but they refused because there was no other male already present. We talked in the hallway instead. Very proper, nice guys. So why many wives but don't even think about entering a woman's home with friendly intentions?

How do you feel about Joseph Smith? I won't doubt that the angel came to him and he found these platesm, but his actions that led up to his death have me believing he was a little off his rocker.

You asked for it, so here it is! ;) I am simply curious.

Thank you for this post and for clarifying your faith.

K
Closed Thread