Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Love & Relationships -Friends and Family

Old 26-08-2012, 03:13 AM
everything

Shy means...

I heard it said that "shy" is a euphemism for being afraid of people. And I agreed wholeheartedly after a minute of consideration. So its time to stop hiding behind shyness and recognize it as fear. But to anyone who's been a "shy" person, or to anyone who's known others and helped them, what can be done to quell the fear? Sure, I can jump in, introduce myself to people, but what is to be done when I seem uninteresting to them? What is to be done about the inner turmoil caused by rejection or by the awkwardness that many "shy" people feel?

I don't know if anyone can really answer those questions of if they're the ones to be asked. Maybe let's just talk about shyness/fear of people in general and what that feels like to all of us and when and how we've moved past our fears.
Old 26-08-2012, 04:06 AM
Royalite

Well I'm shy. And I've been rejected. And quite frankly, rejection hurts. And I don't think there's a way to have rejection NOT hurt, but you don't have to be all tough and immuned in order to take a chance and see where it goes.

I've rejected a lot of people myself and I always tell them not to take it personally because I never mean it to be personal.

Just be willing to take risks and step outside of your comfort zone.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:25 AM
LadyImpreza1111

I work in retail so I have to interact with people on a daily basis. However, when it comes to the opposite sex............I have always been shy myself. I've dealt with plenty of rejection and somehow I think that was what has made me come across as unapproachable and cool to the opposite sex.

However, if I am talking to someone platonically, I am perfectly fine.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:17 AM
Master
I understand what you feel , self confidence is the key
know who you are and you won't fear anymore .

Meditation can help you a lot .
Old 25-09-2012, 03:59 PM
everything

Found this video today and wanted to share it, it's the best explanation of shyness/social anxiety I've heard so far: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hAc5LCkkqw
Old 25-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Administrator
Well if the psychiatrists have their way shyness will be seen as a mental illlness along with someone whos feeling a little sad,if you ask me the whole worlds population will be in it then stupid fools,i was very shy as a child but im not frightened of anyone or anything so i think thats totally untrue.

Namaste
Old 26-09-2012, 02:21 AM
everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
Well if the psychiatrists have their way shyness will be seen as a mental illlness along with someone whos feeling a little sad,if you ask me the whole worlds population will be in it then stupid fools,i was very shy as a child but im not frightened of anyone or anything so i think thats totally untrue.

Namaste

I don't think anyone said it was a mental illness. I mentioned social anxiety, but I did it because I know if I posted a SA video on here, people might not get it.

No one ever mentioned psychiatric treatment and I really object to your tone and the conclusions you jump to about psychologists and mental health treatment in general.

It's a good idea to take care of one's mind, no the treatments that exist aren't perfect, but a person who understands what exists and what works for them can navigate it and find the right help.

You do bring up a point I would like to address about shyness, though. In my own journey with shyness I'd assumed the fear. But there may be people who simply choose to be quiet and interpret that as shyness. There are also people who do not speak because they are afraid to. It's important that when someone says they're shy we ask them to describe their feelings so that we can find out if they are quiet and content or if they are struggling.
Old 27-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Hey everything,

I said if the psychiatrists get their way shyness along with other things will become a mental illness,the national health is not happy unless it puts labels on everything,and because of that the psychiatry bible that they follow will also include shyness as a mental illness, i knew it was coming because they put all alternative medicine practisioners under the nhs umberella.they have to pay a sum every year to stay on the list as a councellor they tried to get us on it we decllined because our code of ethics is stronger than theres.

Namaste
Old 28-09-2012, 04:21 AM
everything

The creator of the "psychiatry bible", the DSM, shares your concerns-- he's very upset about the new versions of the DSM.

The broadness of the DSM and mental illness is actually a debated topic by psychologists right now, as is medication.

You might want to check out these articles if you're curious:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...-5-controversy
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/12/ff_dsmv/all/1
Old 29-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Master
i'm shy around the oppisite sex i never can muster up the courage and talk to them. i guess its always been a fear of rejection and a them not liking more than just a friend.