Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 21-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Newbie ;)

Do you believe every sentient being should be free of unnecessary suffering- be it

physical, emotional or psychological?

Do you believe there is a need for killing in this world?

I have read that plants might be capable of sentience

My own personal opinion is that we are given the choice to choose the path that causes the least amount of destruction- which is one of the reasons I am working on becoming a vegan---i just have to make sure I have the right nutrients-quantity and ratio of.

GuyDude12
Old 22-09-2014, 06:47 AM
Master
I don't call myself anything. My dietary awareness started 15 years ago when I stopped eating meat. A decade and a half later my diet consists entirely of whole fruit and vegetables, and the occasional bit of grains, and that's it. But I'm not vegan; no labels for me. I'm simply conscious of what I eat in relation to how it affects my well-being. Nothing to do with a suffering world, or with spiritual/religious beliefs or statements.

Now, do I think that slaughtering and torturing animals because people are too lazy, unconscious and/or willfully boorish to change their eating habits, is a thoroughly disgusting aspect of our humanity? Absolutely. My spirituality is much more practical than philosophical.
Old 22-09-2014, 07:13 PM
Knower
I understamd your concerns but we have to draw the line somewhere. I agree with your point about causing the least amount of harm. My tipping point came three months ago when I was eating a burger, and the thought came into my head I'm eating a dead cow. That burger tasted horrible after that. Now, obviously I have always been aware of where meat comes from. I guess like so many people I chose not to dwell on it. Until finally my conscience, or my soul, wouldn't allow me to turn a blind eye any more. I turned vegetarian the very same night. A week later I became vegan. I do so because I can't really call myself an animal lover if I eat animals.
Old 22-09-2014, 08:09 PM
Knower
Bit of a loaded question - 'free of unnecessary suffering'. If it's unnecessary, then of course it's better not to have it!

Since we are all immortal beings (animals and plants included), 'premature' death in one lifetime is not such a big deal as the physical mind makes it out to be. Also, there's the issue that when suffering occurs, it can be argued that both parties agree to it - or else you have to subscribe to the theory that what happens is just a random accident. People who can communicate with animals have said that their collective unconscious has agreed to suffer at the hands of ignorant humanity as part of the game of physical life - until we learn better. They feel sorry for us because we are so disconnected from nature.

So, I don't believe it's a black and white situation but I would agree that we should endeavour to be partner to as little suffering as possible. And that includes not swatting flies or walking past a thirsty plant...
Old 22-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Badger1777

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thDimension
'premature' death in one lifetime is not such a big deal as the physical mind makes it out to be.

You don't have any kids depending on you then?
Old 22-09-2014, 11:20 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger1777
You don't have any kids depending on you then?

If I did and if I died, don't you think that would be part of a soul agreement for them to experience? In any case, the old 'kids' routine is just emotional hogwash. One life is one life regardless of age. We are all immortal spiritual beings and one lifetime is a speck in eternity. Do you really think that just random, meaningless things happen us and that life or death is a mere accident?

But didn't I say that we should reduce suffering whenever we can?
Old 22-09-2014, 11:47 PM
DayLight1555

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyDude12
physical, emotional or psychological?

Do you believe there is a need for killing in this world?

My own personal opinion is that we are given the choice to choose the path that causes the least amount of destruction- which is one of the reasons I am working on becoming a vegan---i just have to make sure I have the right nutrients-quantity and ratio of.

GuyDude12

I don't like anyone to be subjected to unnecessary suffering (necessary in this case means good for them or really necessary from the perspective of the whole I guess)

However, we might consider that we did not figure out ways to avoid causing suffering. Nature causes suffering, that's what it does. And we are the sons of nature so we do the same. To survive. To thrive.

So if plants are sentient, then technically we should live with them, not cut them down all the time whenever we need to. But I don't think we figured out or know of the way to live like we do (decently happy) and to avoid killing them.

Maybe in the future we'll discover new ways to live and to exist, in harmony with plants and yet happy in our dwellings...

Or let's take meat. In some places for example, animals are hunted for food. And it would be very difficult for them to eliminate that from their diet. It's difficult for us too, but in a different sense.

So we may end doing "the wrong things" just because we don't know of a better way to do things.

Maybe like in the past people had to fight to death to resolve the issue, while now we can just go to court. So we got smarter, and therefore there is less bloodshed.
Old 23-09-2014, 12:05 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyDude12

My own personal opinion is that we are given the choice to choose the path that causes the least amount of destruction- which is one of the reasons I am working on becoming a vegan---i
Apparently you have chosen to suffer by being so concerned about judging what is least destructive (to whom I am not sure) and what is least sentient.

May I suggest just respecting life in all its forms and avoiding the judgmental tightrope.
Old 23-09-2014, 09:08 AM
Badger1777

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thDimension
If I did and if I died, don't you think that would be part of a soul agreement for them to experience? In any case, the old 'kids' routine is just emotional hogwash

Sorry, I try to respect other people's views, but this comment is just offensive rubbish.

The kids routine is emotional hogwash is it? I suggest before you make judgements like that you might want to wait until you have actually reached adulthood and actually experienced something of life beyond school.

I could explain practicalities like mortgage payments to provide a home, bills to be paid to make that home liveable, food to be paid for, all requiring someone to earn a decent wage while ideally someone else stays at home to look after them so that they have the best of both worlds, giving them the chance to grow and experience things and in turn share their experiences etc, but I doubt very much you are capable yet of understanding any of that.
Old 23-09-2014, 06:12 PM
Experiencer

I don't think 5thDimension was trying to cause a debate about dependent children. People die every day and leave their dependent children behind - Accidents, illness and in some cases old-age...