Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 30-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Time

Thoughts on suicide (generaly not literaly)

Something has got me thinking lately. I got a message last night, saying a friend needed to talk. I asked what was up, and she told me, a very good friend of hers, and quite a few people had hung himself. He had 2 kids. I didn’t personally know him, but for some reason I can’t stop thinking about it.

After having a discussion with a few people, I’m still no closer to any kind of answer. I have been there myself, and I know it isn’t the right thing to do. Looking at his Facebook page all of these people are blaming themselves. His kids mom, is blaming herself, so is his family. I just can’t fathom as to why anyone would want to take their life. Like I said I have been there, when you feel so alone, that death seems to be your only friend.

The frightening thing is that this isn’t really anything new in my city. The suicide rate here is among the highest in the country (even though we only have 100 000 people). Whether if its suicide, or drug related death. It is a very sad thing to see happen to people. The worse thing about it is that every single one that it’s happened to in my city, they were under 25 years old, most of them not even in high school.

How can we think we live in a good society, when kids and people who have their whole lives ahead of them, feel the need to leave this world by their own means. Some people call it selfish, some say “it’s their time to go”, some call it cowardly. But I don’t think that it is in any way shape or form a “normal” thing. If there is one thing and one thing only that drives us in this life, it’s the instinct to survive by any means necessary. Sure, you can argue that some animals seemingly commit suicide, but it’s usually something different, not conscious self-extinguishing.

It would be unfair to pass blame to anyone, or anything in this matter. It is ultimately the ones persons decision. Not you nor I, or god or anything can make or change your mind. Your either going to do it or not. But I think there are a few things that may lead people to believe that there is no other way. Besides money, war and horrid politicians and leaders, suicide is evidence of a sickness within humanity.

There are cases of suicide in history, although it was always generally frowned upon. Cleopatra is said to have killed herself, with the bite of an asp or hemlock poisoning. There is evidence of people using suicide to escape the Nazi war camps. Samurai would practice hari kiri, which was considered an honourable death by their code. But in my eyes, there is a big difference, between suicide due to torture, forced imprisonment, and pretty much having no way out….. and suicide, because other reasons today. I know this is a double standard, and I think opinions on this are varied.
This is a very unsettling topic, and I know it has touched most of us all. We have lost someone close to us, all good people, that for some reason seen no other way out. Unfortunately, society itself has something to do with it I think. A lot of them (as far as I know), said they were unhappy with the world. A lot of the ones on the news are done because someone has “outed” them online, or publicly, or are victims of a cruel joke.

Can’t we all see there is more to life then sexual orientation, religion, ourselves, money, oil, personal perceptions ( about us and our own about others and everything) and material things? What happened to appreciating the warm sun on your face? To appreciating seeing your loved ones friends and families faeces? Smelling the fresh air of spring, or a warm embrace? Evolving our own experiences?

I believe there is more to life, then life itself. When someone decides to commit suicide, due to excessive drug use, depression, or a feeling of nowhere else to go, I think it is an avoidable tragedy. And I don’t want to blame the people who it has affected. I’m thinking quite the opposite. There is almost nothing that you could have done. IF there is anything we can do, is appreciate the people we know, and the time we have with them. We don’t know when it’s our time, or theirs. Take the time to really know your friends and family again. Go outside, and listen to the birds sing, express yourself and know that there is no wrong way to feel. There is nothing wrong with being so happy, your naïve, or being so angry you almost lose control. I believe it is only unhealthy to repress those emotions, and not learn to let them flow naturally, and release them in non-harmful ways.

Fat Old Sun (Gilmour)

When the fat old sun in the sky is falling
Summer evenin' birds are calling
Summer's thunder time of year
The sound of music in my ears
Distant bells, new mown grass
Smells so sweet
By the river holding hands
Roll me up and lay me down
And if you sit don't make a sound
Pick your feet up off the ground
And if you hear as the warm night falls
The silver sound from a time so strange
Sing to me, sing to me
When that fat old sun in the sky is falling
Summer evenin' birds are calling
Children's laughter in my ears
The last sunlight disappears
And if you sit don't make a sound
Pick your feet up off the ground
And if you hear as the warm night falls
The silver sound from a time so strange
Sing to me, sing to me
When that fat old sun in the sky is falling

Old 30-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Master
Yeah suicide is tough. I know one person whose father killed himself about 20 years ago and she's still very angry at him about it.
I've been in that spot though when I've just wanted to go, and I remember some advice someone gave me...give it another day, give it another month because things change.
Also I think it's related to Mental Illness.
I do wonder why suicide rates are going up and I wonder if it has to do with the economy.
I've also hear many things about what happens to you when you are a soul who has killed him/herself. Not bad things but I've heard that after you're healed in heaven you come back and relive a life similar to the one you ran away from.
Spiritlite.
Old 30-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Master
I recently had a reminder having read something about the astronomical stats of vets of the recent and ongoing war when they come home and in the field kill themselves. If I thought this world and the life in it were 'spontaneous' and natural, I might've done it. But I feel as if I know there is a 'wizard of oz' or many ('evil') wizards in our world. All the world's a stage. I think the reasons for suicide can be very subtle, psychologically in some cases.

Old 30-12-2010, 07:23 PM
LightBearer

Suicides were something i had the misfortune of coming across whilst i was in the army, i have witnessed pretty much most forms of it, I originally thought there was no consequence (despite what religion would have us believe) spiritually of suicide, my mind has changed completely based on christmas day.

i was made aware of a cry for help on christmas day this year. when i went to the womans house to attempt to help her, i was too late, she was hanging from a kitchen light fitting. However the fitting colapsed and she survived.

stood in the kitchen i was very aware that i was in two worlds, this the physical and the spiritual.

what i saw was bleak and very very negative. it most deffinately was not love and light that came to collect her.

i would not suggest anyone do it.
Old 30-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Suspended
Lightbearer - What a difficult experience for you & her. Kind of you to be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time
IF there is anything we can do, is appreciate the people we know, and the time we have with them. We don’t know when it’s our time, or theirs. Take the time to really know your friends and family again. Go outside, and listen to the birds sing, express yourself and know that there is no wrong way to feel. There is nothing wrong with being so happy, your naïve, or being so angry you almost lose control. I believe it is only unhealthy to repress those emotions, and not learn to let them flow naturally, and release them in non-harmful ways.

Fat Old Sun (Gilmour)

When the fat old sun in the sky is falling...
Time,
Thanks for sharing this heart-warming poem & your thoughts.
I really feel for the family & friends of your friend, especially his children.
Yet, I understand too, the thoughts & desire to end the pain... been there.
I'm glad I didn't go through with it.
My cousin commited suicide a few weeks ago. I wasn't close to him, but it still affects me & makes me feel for those he was close to. It also makes me want to try to help others. Sometimes I post on another forum (Psychology) & try to talk people out of it. This forum, & other books & learning has helped a lot too. I feel that I'm getting better tools to help others see new perspective, to find hope & reason to keep on going. Like my grandma said, "Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem."

You're right that suicide is too common... I read that it kills more than war...
Quote:
*Suicide was the 3rd leading cause of death among young people 15 to 24 years of age, following unintentional injuries and homicide.
*There are an estimated 8-25 attempted suicides to one completion
We all are fighting our own battles... & need to be kind to ourselves & others...
& as you mentioned, to take the time to really get to know our family & friends - & let them get to know us... to connect & to help us all know, we are not alone.
Old 30-12-2010, 10:10 PM
blackfellawhitefella

when drowning under the self held weight of unbearable stress and tension , seemingly long term answers to short term problems , are inviting.

then

it is the turn of those who admonish themselves for a lack of 'connection' after the fact.

i have played both roles.