Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 02-02-2012, 12:56 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
www.newlifeparadigm.com

"Judge not that ye be not judged."

"How should you say unto your brother, 'let me remove the splinter from you eye,
when you cannot remove the log from your own?"

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...131#post450131
I don't get what those quotes or links have to do with pagan ethics. Since they're Christian examples of morality, which in all definitions is not pagan.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:08 AM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by New-Simon
Does anyone know of a branch of Paganism that has a set of general rules, standards and ethics?

Not saying that I absolutely need this but am struggling a little with the idea of 'it's up to you' and 'as long as it doesn't harm anyone it's ok'.

Up to you is good in theory but what if you are just not sure what is right or you are say seriously ill in hospital? - relying on yourself then is not so easy - someone like Jesus would be a comfort then.

How about the second point - how do we know whether what we do is morally right or not or what overall affect it will have on others. There are a whole host of examples I could give such as: drug abuse, polygamy, same-sex marriage, theft, violent anti-capitalist demonstrations, vandalism, etc.. all of these issues could quite easily be justfied by either side in a debate.

any views on this?

There is an actual "pagan" religion that does have rules and stuff from ancient times.. but not really nowadays. Being a pagan means worshiping pagan gods, and most areas had different guardian gods or spirits depending on where you lived. Each area had its own local legends/lore etc. Anyways, theres books out there about it. I suggest you pick up a few rather than listen to people who are speaking from their own assumptions and have no idea what they are talking about.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:11 PM
LadyTerra

Greetings New-Simon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New-Simon
Does anyone know of a branch of Paganism that has a set of general rules, standards and ethics?

Not saying that I absolutely need this but am struggling a little with the idea of 'it's up to you' and 'as long as it doesn't harm anyone it's ok'.

Up to you is good in theory but what if you are just not sure what is right or you are say seriously ill in hospital? - relying on yourself then is not so easy - someone like Jesus would be a comfort then.

How about the second point - how do we know whether what we do is morally right or not or what overall affect it will have on others. There are a whole host of examples I could give such as: drug abuse, polygamy, same-sex marriage, theft, violent anti-capitalist demonstrations, vandalism, etc.. all of these issues could quite easily be justfied by either side in a debate.

any views on this?

In my Tradition--we believe that when you behave in a positive way (it comes back to you times 3) and when you behave in a negative way (it comes back to you times 10).

Some Wiccans believe in the following;

1) Be careful what you do--for what is sent--comes back.

2) Be careful who you trust.

3) Never use the Gift against another.

4) Never use the Gift against another who possesses the Gift.

5) In order to use the Gift--you must feel it in your heart and know it in your mind.

(paraphrased from "Green Witchcraft" vol. 1--by Ann Moura)

That being said of a general few--I think it is wise to keep in mind that people tend to make it up as they go (or rather--put their own spin on it).

I have even met Pagans (in cyberspace) who do not ascribe to any form of "The Law of Return".

Peace and Love on your path to doing your own research and forming your own opinions...

Blessed be...
Old 04-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Animus27

Quote:
3) Never use the Gift against another.

4) Never use the Gift against another who possesses the Gift.
Aren't those two rules a little redundant? lol
Old 04-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Master
Dont forget the Law of the Minimum - do as little as possible !
Old 04-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riboflavin
There is an actual "pagan" religion that does have rules and stuff from ancient times.. but not really nowadays. Being a pagan means worshiping pagan gods, and most areas had different guardian gods or spirits depending on where you lived. Each area had its own local legends/lore etc. Anyways, theres books out there about it. I suggest you pick up a few rather than listen to people who are speaking from their own assumptions and have no idea what they are talking about.

Paganism [no such thing btw] is ideosyncratic and very individualistic. It is not a single unified creed, it is a multitude of different beliefs and life styles. There are no cover-all rules ! Books are not worth a light ! People speak from their own EXPERIENCES .
Old 09-02-2012, 01:35 AM
Tanith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
I don't get what those quotes or links have to do with pagan ethics. Since they're Christian examples of morality, which in all definitions is not pagan.

It doesn't matter if the example comes from Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, or any other religion. If you listen, they all say the same thing in the end. The only thing that changes is who you honor in the name of doing what is RIGHT and MORAL.

No matter my personal views on Christianity, there is much to learn from all religions. In fact, some of my most fundamental beliefs about the Goddess come from the Book of Proverbs in the KJB.

One of the things that I was drawn to most about Wicca and Paganism is the very fact that you are expected to take matters into your own hands- at the cost of your actions. That is a huge responsibility, one that I am willing to take on, for I am always learning.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:57 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanith
It doesn't matter if the example comes from Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, or any other religion. If you listen, they all say the same thing in the end. The only thing that changes is who you honor in the name of doing what is RIGHT and MORAL.
That's rather presumptive. Christian morality differs from Buddhist because they have a different worldview. You cannot expect them to place the same value on certain actions and behaviors. Ethical reductionism doesn't play out well when one studies religious philosophies and cultural values in depth.

Different cultures have different kinds of ethics. Christians see sex as a necessary evil, and only then it's to be used for procreation and you should pretend to not enjoy it, because it's sinful. Now, compare that to Hindu tantrics who use sexual practices in meditation.

Are they saying the same thing?

Quote:
No matter my personal views on Christianity, there is much to learn from all religions. In fact, some of my most fundamental beliefs about the Goddess come from the Book of Proverbs in the KJB.
I think so too, to a point. Learning about others beliefs can help you put your own path in focus and understand it better.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:30 AM
Tanith

I apologize for not making my original comment clear n_n; I did not mean literally they all say to do the same thing, I mean simply that each has their own creed, but in the end, they all strive for the same end result.

It may be presumptive, yes. But essentially both Christianity and Buddhism tell its followers to walk a righteous path. But there isn't one righteous path- there are many. The end result is still the same; in the end, Buddhists seek enlightenment, and to do so, they strive to be righteous, in whatever way that may be, just as Christians inevitably seek "enlightenment" by walking the virtuous path. Even Hinduism, which speaks of reincarnation, believes that eventually a soul is reunited with the One, which can only be done when a soul has reached perfection, or essentially "enlightenment."

Worldviews may be different, and while a Buddhist may say that eliminating desire is more important than trying to preach the truth to others; in the end, they both seek the same goal, they simply go about it in different ways.

It's like telling your friend, "I'll take this path, you take that one, and we'll meet at the end."

As far as sexual relationships go- again it's really to each his own. If a Christian believes that sex is sinful, and in an attempt to stay virtuous, he forgoes sex, is he not following the righteous path according to his creed?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:25 PM
LadyTerra

Greetings Everyone:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanith

One of the things that I was drawn to most about Wicca and Paganism is the very fact that you are expected to take matters into your own hands- at the cost of your actions. That is a huge responsibility, one that I am willing to take on, for I am always learning.

I love this!

I have studied World and Ancient Religions for many years and what has struck me most are the "Universal Truths" that are held within each. I like to refer to these similarities as Pearls of Wisdom.

Yes--there are many ways in which we all differ from one another. However--there is common ground and I see this as a cause for celebration. Something upon which we can all agree.

A place where we can unite as people and learn to apreciate each other and work together for the common good of all.

Peace and Love on the path of your choice...

Blessed be...