Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Signs & Synchronicities

Old 04-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Pathfinder

Its a good Question, and one could easily head into a maze of various dead ends on trying to answer it at the level of the intellect. A little like the chicken and the egg paradox hehe.

The famous Koans that are given in Zen teachings serve as Paradox's to the mind for just this purpose because an answer that is sort to the Koan by the mind/intellect is not available at that level. The only solution as any student comes to realize is to still the thinking mind and just be receptive, noticing what is being presented, its form and shape without Judgement and here within the answer/insight will present itself.

The problem that many of us face when 'listening' to our intuition is that we are so used to working things out at the mental level that when given 'something' we completely smother and blanket our other faculties for understanding.

Does everything have meaning I believe so Annie Evans wrote in her book Live the life you long for that "A symbol is an outer and visible form of an inner spiritual reality"

Our minds are orientated to this 3 dimensional reality and within that context are limited in understanding it knots itself up when trying to understand something that exists at level higher than itself.

Of course part of our spiritual development is to re-educate ourselves ie to raise our consciousness or as someone in another post that I read recently said 'to cultivate the higher mind'.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:16 PM
amy green

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLion

Does everything have meaning I believe so Annie Evans wrote in her book Live the life you long for that "A symbol is an outer and visible form of an inner spiritual reality"
Symbols yes - I can see that as having meaning. However, to say that EVERYTHING has meaning means just that, e.g. incorporating all the mundanity of life as well....the tiny, tedious details? Sorry - a step too far for me.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Hirandall

.. .Well you see I am suspecting it might mean something bad.. .maybe not exactly.. .what I thought it might or might not be but uhm well.. .
Old 05-04-2013, 01:45 PM
amy green

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirandall
.. .Well you see I am suspecting it might mean something bad.. .maybe not exactly.. .what I thought it might or might not be but uhm well.. .
What are your reasons to think this? What you've read or past experiences? If you've read about it only, whether or not this has an impact depends on how much credence you give it.

In the divination category here, you will see a numerology section. Do you think you might benefit from searching there or making a post there?
Old 05-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Hirandall

I guess that number pops out more often lately when I am thinking of some decision but then again it could be selection bias hard to say.. .
Old 05-04-2013, 02:14 PM
amy green

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirandall
I guess that number pops out more often lately when I am thinking of some decision but then again it could be selection bias hard to say.. .
Hirandall - I wouldn't worry about it unduly if it were me. Seems like something vague currently. If it is significant, it will get more defined in time.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy green
Symbols yes - I can see that as having meaning. However, to say that EVERYTHING has meaning means just that, e.g. incorporating all the mundanity of life as well....the tiny, tedious details? Sorry - a step too far for me.

Hey ya Amy

The cosmos Is continually pulsating vibrating expanding and contracting it is intelligent as is everything within it. The Chinese call this the Tao which seeks to continually balance itself. The microcosm is reflected within the macrocosm and vica versa. The microcosm at a subatomic level is reflected in the macrocosm at a planetary level and nothing exists without accident. My view is that there are no errors and nothing is mundane.

It is only our human perception which filters our view of 'reality' and chooses to label such events as mundane or not. This is a choice. In Buddhism there is an analogy or teaching that says when asked to look at the mountain we differentiate the one mountain from all the other mountains and of course name it but from the mountains 'perspective' it is not a mountain but a continuum of 'expression'.

The ability to label is a seemingly human trait where by we compartmentalize and categorize, and within doing so we attribute what is mundane and what is not to their various categories. When directly 'seeing' with an open heart these categories drop away and everything becomes part of a 'Divine expression'.

However I do agree that not everything should be looked at as having meaning as this would probably drive us crazy hehe but that very act of looking for meaning in everything is I believe a function of the intellect to interpret and understand and want to know unfortunately we are limited in the intellects ability to understand anything higher than that at the level of the intellect. Whereas Direct seeing comes from the heart where there is no judgement only a profound awareness of the beauty, divine expression and meaning that exists in everything.

The movie American Beauty springs to mind and is filmed in such a way that at the end the guy who likes to record everything captures a piece of garbage gently blowing in the breeze and follows it with his lens it is an incredible piece that conveys to the viewer that there is beauty in everything and that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

And this I believe is also true for what we perceive as being mundane or not this choice in perception is all in the eye of the beholder and thus one bit of information is not more valuable than any other.

WhiteLion
Old 05-04-2013, 02:55 PM
amy green

WhiteLion - I get what you are saying here and agree to a certain extent. I am certainly in love with life and fascinated by its unfolding mystery.

However, being a realist (not wanting to delude myself) I am also in touch with discernment. (I know judging is frowned upon!) To see beauty in the mundane is not the same thing as seeing meaning in it. Beauty is to do with aesthetics and appreciation; it can make us wonder about the bigger questions in life but not necessarily have direct meaning for our own lives. Subjective meaning is, in turn, not necessarily derived from something we perceive as beautiful. Whilst there can be an overlap of perceived beauty and meaning, I don't hold that they are one and the same thing.

Certainly we can be in harmony/in the flow and this affects everything. Just now I fluffed up a cushion for my back and took a sip of tea (i.e. mundane acts); there was comfort to be had from both but I feel pretty sure neither had any meaning. That, of course, is my perception and so I disagree when you say that "that one bit of information is not more valuable than another". (To be honest, I am sceptical that you truly believe that either). I value countless number of things as being more valuable than a fluffed up cushion and a sip of tea! It's natural to have preferences in life, e.g. food.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Pathfinder

Hey ya Amy

Just to clarify I was merely using how we see beauty as an analogy to convey the idea that what is mundane is a matter of perception.

I like what you said "Whilst Seeing beauty in the mundane is not the same thing as seeing meaning in it" However I do believe that when you see beauty in some thing you are also witness to the divine at play within that same thing.

And....I do agree with what you are saying too I'e fluffing your pillow and sipping your tea hehe is a mundane event, but I cannot help wonder that if viewing this event from a five dimensional perspective would we be privy to more information about what is seemingly mundane to our 3 dimensional orientation.

The reason I guess i'm wandering down this road is because when i'm 'energised' and aware I see more information pertaining to seemingly random and if you like mundane events than when I do if I've had no sleep, have not eaten very well and I am tired. Our 'states' of being affect our PERCEPTION and vibration. The more I am in-tune with my surrounds the more I see and the more meaning things have. Is there then a continuum for an endless increase of awareness and to see meaning in events? Or like you say are some events just mundane and have no inherent intrinsic value? I will be Pondering on that :)
Old 05-04-2013, 03:42 PM
amy green

WhiteLion - yes I agree with you about seeing beauty brings to mind the divine (hence why I mentioned that "it can make us wonder about the bigger questions of life"). I am soooo in love with nature, being a pantheist.