Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Tarot and Oracle Cards

Old 11-09-2023, 12:07 AM
Experiencer

good choice for novice?

Which tarot deck, and book, is good for a novice. I'm not looking for a toy or throwaway one but not too expensive either, reasonably priced. This will be a gift but not for a child and will like it to still be used as the person learns more and more. There's so many choices so I'd appreciate suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-09-2023, 02:14 AM
Ascender

All tarot and oracle cards tend to be based on the original Rider Waite deck with the major and minor arcana layout. You can't go wrong with that deck. I'd also pick up a book for interpreting the deck. Each deck of tarot or oracle comes with a tiny booklet explaining the cards. But the books go into more depth. I couldn't tell you which book though. It's been years since I've picked up my decks or looked at any books. Maybe someone else will be able to recommend a book. Alternatively for a different deck, I'm rather fond of the Morgan Greer Deck which is based on the Rider Waite layout and names of cards, I just like the illustrations better.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:28 AM
Master
There is at least 1 Tarot deck for children. I know as a member here had that. I'd Google that.
If a child likes it and want to keep using Tarot later on they can buy another deck if they wish. You cannot expect a child to work with the same in depth and lengthy interpretations as an adult. They'd need something they can process and work with that fits their age & mind.
Old 13-09-2023, 10:03 AM
Experiencer

tarot deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyCrystal
There is at least 1 Tarot deck for children. I know as a member here had that. I'd Google that.
If a child likes it and want to keep using Tarot later on they can buy another deck if they wish. You cannot expect a child to work with the same in depth and lengthy interpretations as an adult. They'd need something they can process and work with that fits their age & mind.

Thanks but this isn't for a child.
Old 13-09-2023, 10:05 AM
Experiencer

tarot deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler
All tarot and oracle cards tend to be based on the original Rider Waite deck with the major and minor arcana layout. You can't go wrong with that deck. I'd also pick up a book for interpreting the deck. Each deck of tarot or oracle comes with a tiny booklet explaining the cards. But the books go into more depth. I couldn't tell you which book though. It's been years since I've picked up my decks or looked at any books. Maybe someone else will be able to recommend a book. Alternatively for a different deck, I'm rather fond of the Morgan Greer Deck which is based on the Rider Waite layout and names of cards, I just like the illustrations better.

Thanks for the reply and information. I'll research it.
Old 13-10-2023, 11:33 AM
Master
Oh, I see I misread. Apologies.
There are plenty of beginners decks that are still great to work with once not a beginner anymore.
Personally I am a huge fan of the Robin Wood Tarot deck. She made some changes to the regular Rider Waite version. Not many, but a few things to make it more palatable and less churchy and/or creepy. The Death card for instance isn't nearly as confronting. Same for the Devil card.

It is also more colourful and the artwork far more pleasing. In the regular Rider Waite for instance the Queens & Kings all look as if they are having a real bad hair-day. And many backgrounds in that deck are bright yellow.
That's one of the reasons I could never really work with it. If Q of Cups is supposed to be a warm, kind, loving personality yet looks like she's about to have a tantrum, it doesn't compute.
In the Robin Wood Tarot it all resonates and looks as it should.
Very pleasing, easy to use, and I've used it for yonks even when I no longer could be considered a novice.
I still use it from time to time, it will always be my favourite deck. And it is one that's said to be a beginners deck.