Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Films

Old 31-05-2016, 05:17 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by A human Being
Yeah, me too. It struck me a few years ago that most all of my favourite films are about alienation and redemption, in one form or another (very often suburban alienation beneath the pleasant façade, as you say), which says a lot about me, I suppose. You're right, though, Hollywood is awash with dreadful, soul-sapping garbage that really does make me shake my head ruefully.

I don't have Netflix atm, no, though I wasn't aware that they have a good selection of foreign movies, so I'll look into it - thanks for the recommendation *googles City of God*

"Alienation and redemption"! That's a good way to put it. David Lynch is quite good at those sorts of movies (well, minus the redemption aspect)

Here ya go! (just click the tiny closed captioning button for subtitles; I missed it at first) http://putlocker.is/watch-city-of-go...putlocker.html
Old 01-06-2016, 10:27 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseelie Queen
"Alienation and redemption"! That's a good way to put it. David Lynch is quite good at those sorts of movies (well, minus the redemption aspect)

Here ya go! (just click the tiny closed captioning button for subtitles; I missed it at first) http://putlocker.is/watch-city-of-go...putlocker.html
Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to give it a watch

I was going to mention 'Blue Velvet,' funnily enough, I do like David Lynch ('Mulholland Drive' is up there as one of my favourite films, Naomi Watts is amazing in it).
Old 01-06-2016, 05:24 PM
Guide
Quote:
Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to give it a watch

I was going to mention 'Blue Velvet,' funnily enough, I do like David Lynch ('Mulholland Drive' is up there as one of my favourite films, Naomi Watts is amazing in it).

I love what bits and pieces I've seen of 'Blue Velvet', and almost mentioned that one, too! (For some reason I always fall asleep through it)
Mulholland Drive has so many layers to it; (oh, and the scene where the lady singing "Llorando" is just beautiful) there are even some interesting interpretations and theories on the internet. It's quite a lot of fun to pick through all of the symbolism in Lynch movies.
(This is off-topic, but you should definitely watch the Lynch show Twin Peaks if you haven't yet!)
Old 01-06-2016, 08:07 PM
Master
I took an Iranian Film Class in college and some of my favorites were

"Turtles Can Fly"
"Children of Heaven"
"Bashu"
"Baran"

Also -

The Italian films "Life is Beautiful" and "Cinema Paradiso"

edit - ALSO the French version of Bluebeard or "Barbe Bleue" - TERRIFYING

-Lord Rama to Laxman
Old 01-06-2016, 09:14 PM
Master
Quote:
I love what bits and pieces I've seen of 'Blue Velvet', and almost mentioned that one, too! (For some reason I always fall asleep through it)
Mulholland Drive has so many layers to it; (oh, and the scene where the lady singing "Llorando" is just beautiful) there are even some interesting interpretations and theories on the internet. It's quite a lot of fun to pick through all of the symbolism in Lynch movies.
(This is off-topic, but you should definitely watch the Lynch show Twin Peaks if you haven't yet!)
Oh I'll bet there are 'Mulholland Drive' seems fairly straightforward, at least by David Lynch's standards (I couldn't make head nor tail of 'Inland Empire,' for example), though I dare say it's not quite as straightforward as I think it is Like you say, there's enough symbolism to pick through, you could probably watch it twenty times and see something new every time.

Twin Peaks was on recently (on Sky Atlantic, if I remember rightly), I watched the pilot and intended to watch all the episodes, but wasn't in the mood for that kind of thing at the time. I quite fancy watching it now though, now you mention it!
Old 01-06-2016, 09:50 PM
Guide
Ooooh speaking of Iranian films, there is one called 'A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night' that is described as a vampire western. I only got through half of it-- it made me sleepy- but it was pretty good from what I recall.

And, not Iranian, but there is a fairly recent Spanish film (it's a silent one, too!) called 'Blancanieves': It sounds delightful: "A band of bullfighting dwarfs save the life of a young woman with amnesia. They end up taking her under their wing when they find out that she has seemingly natural skills as a bullfighter, upon which they can capitalize not only for their act but for her own personal gain."
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HanTDiiZLpg

Quote:
Oh I'll bet there are 'Mulholland Drive' seems fairly straightforward, at least by David Lynch's standards (I couldn't make head nor tail of 'Inland Empire,' for example), though I dare say it's not quite as straightforward as I think it is Like you say, there's enough symbolism to pick through, you could probably watch it twenty times and see something new every time.

Twin Peaks was on recently (on Sky Atlantic, if I remember rightly), I watched the pilot and intended to watch all the episodes, but wasn't in the mood for that kind of thing at the time. I quite fancy watching it now though, now you mention it!

It (Twin Peaks) definitely starts off slow in the beginning, but it's actually quite charming. It gets a bit darker and stranger toward the end-- lots of dream sequences and such. There's a ton of goofy dialogue (sometimes for no apparent reason) and highly eccentric characters sprinkled in, too, which makes it all the more endearing.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Ooooh speaking of Iranian films, there is one called 'A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night' that is described as a vampire western. I only got through half of it-- it made me sleepy- but it was pretty good from what I recall.

And, not Iranian, but there is a fairly recent Spanish film (it's a silent one, too!) called 'Blancanieves': It sounds delightful: "A band of bullfighting dwarfs save the life of a young woman with amnesia. They end up taking her under their wing when they find out that she has seemingly natural skills as a bullfighter, upon which they can capitalize not only for their act but for her own personal gain."
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HanTDiiZLpg

It (Twin Peaks) definitely starts off slow in the beginning, but it's actually quite charming. It gets a bit darker and stranger toward the end-- lots of dream sequences and such. There's a ton of goofy dialogue (sometimes for no apparent reason) and highly eccentric characters sprinkled in, too, which makes it all the more endearing.
"A band of bullfighting dwarfs save the life of a young woman with amnesia" - say n'more, I'm sold

Whenever I think of 'Twin Peaks,' it always brings to mind this scene out of The Simpsons, which might not be as far wide of the mark as I initially thought Does sound right up my street, tbh, I'll have to rest of the series a watch.
Old 20-08-2016, 09:41 AM
Pathfinder

Following are mine favorite movies :-

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
House of Flying Daggers
Curse of the Golden Flower
The Host
Red Cliff
Metropolis
Infernal Affairs
Old 21-10-2016, 11:25 AM
Seeker

Old Boy & Memories of Murder. Both movies just blew my mind.

I was a bit disgusted at the end of Old Boy because of the famous twist but then so was almost everybody else who's seen it. Haha!

If you are in the West, I'd recommend a couple Bollywood movies that you might like. 'A Wednesday' and 'Lunch Box'. These are two of the most amazing movies India has produced in recent history and they are very atypical because there is no song & dance. :P
Old 21-10-2016, 03:35 PM
Experiencer

Mine is Amelie. It's amazing!