Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 31-05-2017, 05:52 PM
Deactivated Account
Broken spirits in the bible?

I think I'm experiencing a broken spirit, where many factors (depression, people, physical pain) have contributed over a long period of time. I know it's different this time since I can't bounce back to my old self any more. I might find comfort knowing - if/what the bible says about broken spirits being closer to God?
Even if someone can suggest a section to read it might help. Thank you.
Old 31-05-2017, 06:16 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul.cimmerian
if/what the bible says about broken spirits being closer to God?
Hi soul.cimmerian. That's a nice topic and inquiry, I hope someone can provide some passages for you. Closer to God... There are a couple of ways to see that. Depression/broken spirit is a form of feeling completely separated from Spirit. Lost and far, far away from the Source. I know that from experience.

Yet at the same time, illness often provides the opportunity (forces one) to re-access one's life so as to direct it back into healthy and holistic alignment... alignment with Spirit, one could say. In a very real sense then, illness is a kind of intervention on behalf of higher forces or energies (I call it higher self). So in a way those times of illness and depression can also be seen as a time when one is indeed closer to Spirit.

Anyway, all the best, and don't give up hope. I was in a terrible disconnected state all through my mid 30s to 40s. It is said in some streams of wisdom that's the time our angels pull away for a time, in order to free us up to forge our own karmic path in life. It can be a lonely road in particular for the deeply caring and feeling spiritual journeyer.
Old 31-05-2017, 07:08 PM
Suspended
Seeker

Hell no, I would consider myself a broken spirit although I'm not a spiritual person, but I hate god. It's rather weird to feel the opposite if you've looked around at some of the more lucky and "blessed" people. Ironically they tend to not believe in god....so why should I. I don't read the babble, but according to some very religious Christians, we are cursed, not closer to god.
Old 31-05-2017, 07:39 PM
Deactivated Account
Thank you, Baile. You mention that there's a time when angels pull away for a while and I think I needed to hear that. It fits in with the overall feeling I'm consumed with. All the best to you too. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity
I don't read the babble, but according to some very religious Christians, we are cursed, not closer to god.

That thought has certainly crossed my mind too, curiosity. Thanks for sharing your view on it.
Old 31-05-2017, 07:50 PM
Master
Quote:
I think I'm experiencing a broken spirit, where many factors (depression, people, physical pain) have contributed over a long period of time. I know it's different this time since I can't bounce back to my old self any more. I might find comfort knowing - if/what the bible says about broken spirits being closer to God?

In Isaiah 66:2 God said "But this is the one I Wil look on, he who is poor in spirit and broken hearted."
Old 31-05-2017, 08:39 PM
Deactivated Account
Thank you for the verse Mickiel
Old 01-06-2017, 12:38 AM
Master

What immediately came to mind was the beattitudes, Mathew 5:3-10, although those don't specifically talk about a broken spirit but rather the rewards for living through certain things.

a quick search on google for 'psalms, broken spirit' also came up with Psalms 51:17 and Psalms 34:18.

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

The LORD is near unto them that are of a broken heart; and saves such as be of a contrite spirit.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:18 AM
Deactivated Account
Those are perfect. Many thanks for your help, FallingLeaves.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:30 AM
Master
Quote:

You know I myself cannot say that I have an "Old Self " that I can bounce back to, my whole life has been pain and depression of one sort or another. Those are a part of my life, even in my most peaceful years. So if one has lived without those or is now living without those, hey be thankful, or if those are limited in your life.

Some of us, it's all we have ever known.