Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 28-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Master

In my experience, I find that these different paths tend to merge and become indistinguishable form each other as a sAdhaka(aspirant to a goal) advances in his sAdhanA(efforts towards reaching the goal). For more on this, see this thread - http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...ad.php?t=60939.
Old 29-07-2014, 03:30 AM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettHayden
From a western understanding, I was brought up Bhakti, then moved into Jnana as I got older, and now follow the path of Raja. But yes, I follow all of them now too, to differing degrees.
My experience has been quite the same
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinayaka
That's why it's called raja. (King) In my sampradaya, bhakti really enables it. So after a temple puja, it is just incredibly easy to meditate. The whole puja has prepared you for that, and you and the environment have God and devas assisting.
I can only imagine the effect of temple puja since there are no temples where I live. It must be extraordinary! I must make do with my home altar at this time. Fortunately, reading the stories of God allows me to visualize and imagine much in my Bhakti and have the assistance of God and devas as you said. But it requires more effort. Thy will be done
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris
In my experience, I find that these different paths tend to merge and become indistinguishable form each other as a sAdhaka(aspirant to a goal) advances in his sAdhanA(efforts towards reaching the goal). For more on this, see this thread
Thank you for the referral to this thread, kris. It is very interesting! Yes, I find the paths becoming indistinguishable also.
Old 29-07-2014, 11:50 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presence

I can only imagine the effect of temple puja since there are no temples where I live. It must be extraordinary! I must make do with my home altar at this time.

There might be one closer than you think.The Indian diaspora has many.

As for my sect's view that the yogas are stages, the charya marga's first step is virtuous conduct, dharma.
Old 30-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
As for my sect's view that the yogas are stages, the charya marga's first step is virtuous conduct, dharma.
That makes sense. It is guidance. It is the first thing I was taught in my religion growing up. I think I would have experienced more secure roots if it was Bhakti first taught to me. That is just my personal thoughts. It is because I learned a strict, punitive God judging my conduct, before I learned about a loving God. Bhakti would have taught me the loving God first. That would have been better for me.
Old 30-07-2014, 08:52 PM
Guide

In the diaspora, and in India, bhakti is what the children learn first. We get several samskaras at the temple (namakarana- name-giving) (chudakarana - head shave), (and anaprasanna - first feeding) all pretty young, so the child sees bhakti by example, and hears the sounds, sees the sights, and smells the smells of bhakti. So that's the initial exposure, and it's generally a really positive experience for the child. The ethics etc are taught in the home as the child grows.
Old 31-07-2014, 03:18 AM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
In the diaspora, and in India, bhakti is what the children learn first. We get several samskaras at the temple (namakarana- name-giving) (chudakarana - head shave), (and anaprasanna - first feeding) all pretty young, so the child sees bhakti by example, and hears the sounds, sees the sights, and smells the smells of bhakti. So that's the initial exposure, and it's generally a really positive experience for the child. The ethics etc are taught in the home as the child grows.
That is beautiful. It brings a tear to my eye. May it be so that the world as she grows comes to learn these ways more and more everywhere. It is so needed for our children in this difficult world.
Old 31-07-2014, 04:21 AM
L lawliett

If you want to learn more about this refer to the books published sanatan prabhat. They are very knowledgeble and technical so it will clear your doubts..
Old 01-08-2014, 11:58 AM
Guide

Quote:
That is beautiful. It brings a tear to my eye. May it be so that the world as she grows comes to learn these ways more and more everywhere. It is so needed for our children in this difficult world.

Maybe next lifetime some of us will be so fortunate to be born into a beautiful religion, rather than having to do this 'seeking' thing.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:08 AM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L lawliett
If you want to learn more about this refer to the books published sanatan prabhat. They are very knowledgeble and technical so it will clear your doubts..
Thank you for the reference. I will look it up
Quote:
Maybe next lifetime some of us will be so fortunate to be born into a beautiful religion, rather than having to do this 'seeking' thing.
Yes!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Master

Quote:
Hi,

The four margas, or paths: Jnana Yoga (intellectual), Bhakti Yoga (devotion), Raja Yoga (meditation), Karma Yoga (action). I am interested in people's relationship to these. Do you focus on just one? More than one?

For myself, my religious upbringing was mostly Karma/ action, with a little of Bhakti. Then in my adult years, it was Jnana for 15 - 20 years. Now, in middle age, I have discovered Raja and Bhakti. I find though, that my path is with all of them now. So beautiful is this.

Would others care to share of their relationship to these paths? Thank you

I would add a fifth one, Hatha yoga, which is but the strengthening and culturing of the body for greater spiritual and material development.

One can follow any of these four paths, or a combination of these, or all as well. There is no restriction as such. One usually, selects the yogas based on inclination and temperament.

Janaka, who was a king in ancient India, became enlightened through the meticulous practice of karma yoga, that is , practice of doing ones duties in constant awareness. Here I must say that he had done good spiritual study,practice and austerity in solitude so that he was able to practice constant awareness effortlessly later on living in the chaotic world and doing his duties.

Those who are inclined to the path of action, can take up karma yoga.

Jnana yoga, is for those who are intellectually inclined. Through study, contemplation and proper application under the guidance of a competent guru, one becomes adept in Jnana yoga.

Adi Shankaracharya , H.W.Poonja, Dada Gavand,Madhukar, Ramana Maharshi,Prem Nirmal were those who became enlightened through jnana yoga.

Bhakti yoga is for those who are inclined to devotion. Through deep love for God, one attains great spiritual development and eventually enlightenment.

Ramakrishna ,Guru Nanak are examples of those who became enlightened in this manner.