Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 08-02-2017, 01:45 PM
Newbie ;)

Meditation-induced belching and acid reflux -- Please Help

I'm am trying to meditate regularly and have run into some problems. Within a few minutes of beginning, I experience stomach growls, belching, and horrible heartburn. I don't seem to be able to breathe naturally while observing the breath, and I believe that the contractions of my diaphragm during deep breathing are stirring up my stomach. This happens even if it has been several hours since I ate. All these symptoms are very distracting, and are preventing me from advancing in my practice. Yet, if I try to meditate on a completely empty stomach, I soon get a low blood sugar type of hunger, which also distracts me. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to alleviate it? Thank you.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:35 PM
Master
I have never had the issue which you have described but what comes to mind are the type of foods that are conducive for yoga and meditation. Maybe you should look at your diet; traditionally and especially in places like India, plant based diets were suggested for those who do meditation, but I don’t think it is necessary to be a vegan or vegetarian to have a good meditation experience. Although too much meat and acidity foods as opposed to alkaline foods can interfere with your meditation experience. Different foods digest at different rates; pasta for instance will stay in your stomach longer than most other foods and beans will give you a lot of gas, as well as some other foods; a lot of vegetables will give you gas also. Certain foods will effect you in ways that other foods will not and they all digest at different rates. I have had my best meditation experiences when I fast for a day or so. I would suggest your doing some research on foods, or diets, that will help your meditation practice. Now I may be wrong here and it may have nothing to do with what you are eating but this is the only thing which comes to my mind from what you have described.

You might also want to get your acid reflux medically checked because that can damage your esophagus, or windpipe called by many.

P.S. Welcome to SF.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJay01
I'm am trying to meditate regularly and have run into some problems. Within a few minutes of beginning, I experience stomach growls, belching, and horrible heartburn. I don't seem to be able to breathe naturally while observing the breath, and I believe that the contractions of my diaphragm during deep breathing are stirring up my stomach. This happens even if it has been several hours since I ate. All these symptoms are very distracting, and are preventing me from advancing in my practice. Yet, if I try to meditate on a completely empty stomach, I soon get a low blood sugar type of hunger, which also distracts me. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to alleviate it? Thank you.

First you say 'breath naturally' then you say 'deep breathing', so I think you are trying to breathe deeply. Usually with breath observation one just breathes normally (without controlling their breathing).
Old 12-02-2017, 07:05 AM
Pathfinder
Your breathing is off for sure. Are you chest breathing? Make sure you are breathing slowly and from your abdomen. Anxiety can cause belching as well.
Old 15-02-2017, 04:07 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJay01

For me, Meditation represents a poor way to focus on Breath. You should be using Yoga to do that. When you exhale the breath, the body is supposed to be relaxed, and the spine has to be straight, but when you inhale the breath of air, a state of tension should be placed on the body, and the spine can either be straight or bent. Where the problem usually arises is when the body is tense, and the person exhales the breath of air. So just make sure that the body is totally relaxed when you exhale that breath, and the problem should go away. And don't do something stupid like contract the body when you inhale the breath of air. Rather, stretch the body.
Old 15-02-2017, 05:24 AM
Master
Apart from what people have suggested, if you are doing deep breathing, as in pranayama, you could be over-doing it, taking in too much oxygen. That can give you gas and belching.

I agree you should check the diet and also check for medical conditions.

Meditation should be relaxing not stressful. In meditation we use the breath as something to focus on and calm an over-active mind, or later in advanced meditation we use the breath to move prana...and eventually only use the mind. In deep meditation we can attain a breathless state, existing on prana only during however long it lasts, effortlessly and naturally.
Old 28-02-2017, 03:58 AM
Newbie ;)
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
I have never had the issue which you have described but what comes to mind are the type of foods that are conducive for yoga and meditation.

I've been a vegetarian for over 5 years now. All through high school and college I had stomach issues, particularly with acid reflux. Once I cut meat out of my diet, I immediately began to feel better and I very rarely experience heartburn now.

You don't have to cut meat out of your diet completely, but it might be helpful to reduce the amount that you eat. My biggest problem is making up for lost protein. I take protein supplements and I still eat eggs and fish occasionally (so, I'm definitely not a "strict" vegetarian).

What's funny is that I used to love cheese steaks and cheeseburgers and all that. Now, not only do I NOT miss meat, I'm actually pretty disgusted by it!