Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 08-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjoorka
Also keep in mind that some of the norse mythology is been written down by christian monks/scholars when they arrived in the north, so who knows how much they have changed to their own favor?
Yes, that's a really big thing to remember. The Prose Edda was written down some 200 years after the conversion of Iceland, and many scholars now think that most of the details provided by Snorri Sturluson are merely poetic invention based off of his Classical education and Christian beliefs. The same is true of many older eddic poems that are in the Codex Regius.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Quagmire

Here is a suspicious story (if I remember it right): Baldur the most beloved son of Odin dies (by an arrow made out of the same kind of tree as the cross which Crist was put on).
Old 08-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjoorka
Here is a suspicious story (if I remember it right): Baldur the most beloved son of Odin dies (by an arrow made out of the same kind of tree as the cross which Crist was put on).
Yup. The poems and stories about Baldr (outside of Saxo Grammaticus) sound suspiciously like the poets were linking Baldr with the figure of Christ. Especially the whole end of the Völuspá where Baldr returns to rule over the world after Ragnarök and there's no discord or hardship.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:14 AM
Quagmire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
Especially the whole end of the Völuspá where Baldr returns to rule over the world after Ragnarök and there's no discord or hardship.

Yes. Isn't there something about the humans after Ragnarok have names similar to Adam and Eve? I kind of get the idea that Ragnarok is created by these monks/scholars and might not have been part of what the Vikings believed in.
Old 15-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Flowers1992

damn, quest for knowledge is a bumpy road :/ and christians dont like to make it easy heh.

Thanks for all the info though :) the overload helps, as much as possible really :)
Old 12-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Master

Does anyone of you guys work with the norse deities?
Old 13-04-2012, 12:41 AM
Wickerman

Sure, as far as honoring them. But remember that worship, and spell work are two different things. especially in Asatru. Worship is the providence of any who believe, while spell work is a special calling. I do not know any Asatru other than myself who practices any kind of spell craft, though I know many who honor the Gods.
Old 13-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman
Sure, as far as honoring them. But remember that worship, and spell work are two different things. especially in Asatru. Worship is the providence of any who believe, while spell work is a special calling. I do not know any Asatru other than myself who practices any kind of spell craft, though I know many who honor the Gods.

That sounds interesting. What kind of spells are we talking about?
Old 13-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Luke Ironside

Living Asatru by Greg Shetler is a great introduction to the Norse religion of Asatru. The book Our Troth is also very informative in regards to the gods/goddesses and history of Norse religious practices.
Old 13-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Master

Thank you for the book tips. It's tragic if I need to go to English sources for this stuff but I'll look them up.