Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 20-04-2011, 03:07 PM
cazza

Alternative to soya?

Hello, just wondering if anyone can help? My family and I are vegan, we have been using quite a few products containing soy, my nephew has just reminded me of the hormone content. I am looking for alternatives and as far as I know there are none. I am talking veggie mince burgers etc, for those day's when a quick meal is needed. Soya seems to be in everything vegan.
Old 21-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Master
What about Quorn products ?
Old 03-06-2011, 07:08 PM
lucky

hormone ?????

Hormone content ??? I don't think you'll find any hormone inside soya and soy based product, but you'll find lots of hormone in meat !! Whoever told you that got the facts wrong..

Soy is high in protein, and is a tasty drink too. Nowadays you can even drink almond, and rice as milk substitute. They are very nutritious and filling.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Master
Legumes? (garbanzos, pintos, black beans, etc.?)

Ooh, have you ever used those big portabella mushrooms? They sell a lot of them here in so cal.

Here's how to cook them up as burgers>>>

Directions
  1. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray, and place over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onions; cook and stir for about 4 minutes, just until mushrooms begin to give up their juices. Stir in bread cubes and oyster sauce. (I guess you wouldn't want the oyster sauce...?) Then just dress them up how you like.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:58 PM
iolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky
Hormone content ??? I don't think you'll find any hormone inside soya and soy based product, but you'll find lots of hormone in meat !! Whoever told you that got the facts wrong..

Soy is high in protein, and is a tasty drink too. Nowadays you can even drink almond, and rice as milk substitute. They are very nutritious and filling.

Soy has phytoestrogens. The body can't really distinguish between the real hormone and those coming from phytoestrogens and xenoextrogens like PCB, BPA and Phthalates.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:26 AM
Distortedsoundz

Try foods made with wheat gluten instead. You can usually find them in Asian grocery stores or order it online from some sources. There are also other ways to get protein without soy such as other types of nuts and legumes. You can cook with cashews and they have a nice buttery consistency. Also consider making batches of your own home made veggie burgers and just freeze them. Yes, soy does contain estrogen and regardless of how much it may effect a person, knowing that may not sit very well with a guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza
Hello, just wondering if anyone can help? My family and I are vegan, we have been using quite a few products containing soy, my nephew has just reminded me of the hormone content. I am looking for alternatives and as far as I know there are none. I am talking veggie mince burgers etc, for those day's when a quick meal is needed. Soya seems to be in everything vegan.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:26 PM
DebbyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortedsoundz
Try foods made with wheat gluten instead. You can usually find them in Asian grocery stores or order it online from some sources. There are also other ways to get protein without soy such as other types of nuts and legumes. You can cook with cashews and they have a nice buttery consistency. Also consider making batches of your own home made veggie burgers and just freeze them. Yes, soy does contain estrogen and regardless of how much it may effect a person, knowing that may not sit very well with a guy.

Good suggestion with the wheat gluten, unless of course you have wheat allergies. At some supermarkets in Canada you can buy the pure gluten and then use it to make seitan (recipes abound on the internet). I've wondered if it could be mixed up and then ground through a little grinder and used for burgers/patties, etc. Maybe one day I'll buy a little grinder and give it a try and if it works, I'll post it.

As for the seitan, you can fry it up as little 'cutlets', use it in stir fries, and I've even got a great recipe for a stew, complete with dumplings. My husband loves that one. So for sure try the wheat gluten.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:49 AM
Distortedsoundz

Yes seitan/Wheat gluten is a great alternative to soy and depending on the product, sometimes tastier! The only thing with the faux meat at Asian markets is it may contain dairy, but you can see it in the ingredient list. I made meatless sloppy joes with seitan and they were delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM
Good suggestion with the wheat gluten, unless of course you have wheat allergies. At some supermarkets in Canada you can buy the pure gluten and then use it to make seitan (recipes abound on the internet). I've wondered if it could be mixed up and then ground through a little grinder and used for burgers/patties, etc. Maybe one day I'll buy a little grinder and give it a try and if it works, I'll post it.

As for the seitan, you can fry it up as little 'cutlets', use it in stir fries, and I've even got a great recipe for a stew, complete with dumplings. My husband loves that one. So for sure try the wheat gluten.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:17 AM
astroboy

Better than wheat guletin is brown rice powder.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:23 AM
cazza

Thank you for all of your suggestions, will be trying them out asap.