Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 06-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Master
I would say:

Advanced Yoga Practices - also free online - my practice
autobiography of a yogi
beyond the separate self by Colin Drake
The Presense Process by Michael Brown - Powerful book
Loving What Is by Byron Katie - The best book at examining your thoughts
Real Love by Greg Baet - Great book.
Rupert Spira books

That is enough for now :)
Old 06-08-2014, 02:13 PM
Royalite

My two favorite books are The Alchemist and Veronika Decides to Die both by Paulo Coelho
Old 07-08-2014, 07:23 PM
Shonnfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent whisper
I would recommend going into a book store and finding the spiritual section and just letting yourself be drawn to whatever you feel you need. It works great in this way. Well that is how I use to be drawn to get exactly what I needed..:)

lol That's how I "started" eleven years ago. I think there's definite truth in that.
But there are countless books that are "good" There is only one truth...expressed differently, by people who have found it in different ways, at different times, in different places...etc.

Personally, I like to stay away from books belonging to or promoting an organized religion or thought system...that tend to claim sole possession of truth and exclude others. Not that the teachings of a Buddha or Christ aren't divine....

Some of my personal favorites would include (but certainly not limited to):
Tolle
OSHO
Krishnamurti
I really enjoy A Course In Miracles also.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:08 PM
Raven Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemilla
What books would you recommend? Which ones helped you develop spiritually?
Hi, Alchemilla. This is a fun topic starter!

This might sound off-topic, but now that I am here, looking back (hindsight is always 20/20 as they say), I'd say one of the best spiritual-development books I've ever read was "Women Who Run With The Wolves" by Clarissa Pinkola Estes. It doesn't really "subscribe" to one particular spirituality, and I'm not sure if it was intended for spiritual development specifically... but it woke up the powerful sacred feminine within me, which then went on to open my heart and mind to other spiritual books. It was my spiritual development primer, so to speak. Beautifully written book on all things powerful, sacred, and meaningful to the woman's soul! I'd say it's probably most easily understood by women, but that is not to give the impression that men won't be able to understand it; it's written from the feminine perspective, which really activated my own woman's soul subjective experience of the book.

And not meaning to be a thread hog, but I'd like to share three more of my faves:
"Emotional Freedom" by Dr. Judith Orloff, "Care of the Soul" by Thomas Moore, and "Living in the Light" by Shakti Gawain.

Now I got to go check out what others have suggested!
Old 07-08-2014, 10:13 PM
Raven Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemilla
I agree that it isn't an intellectual pursuit. But I have certainly read some books that triggered something within me that helped my development. And yes, sometimes it was a quote or a song, but books the most. I guess we're all different here, as in anything. I'm interested in what books did the same for other people, if they are also a "book person".
Yes, that is right, Alchemilla. Some people respond to the written word, some to lived experience, some to music or movies and other art forms, some by tactile/touch. There are eight different main learning styles, according to the teachers I work with, which means people learn and grow a variety of different ways! There's not only one way to be activated or "triggered", as you so adeptly put it.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:35 PM
Experiencer

The Alchemist was the most enjoyable read I think. The Power of Now was probably the most influential since I found it when I was first starting. I've only read a handful though.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:03 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capacity
It depended on where I was at the time. I've read them all and they all are great but honestly I have been equally moved at times by a verse in a movie or meaningful dream. It just comes at you from anywhere when you set out to learn and grow.

That reminds me of a line from a Bill Nelson song , 'Contemplation' :

"... midnight church bells chime
In a world like ours
every sound becomes a sign "

and "I'm a man of vision , and I like what I see"

.................................................. ....................

The books serve their purpose ; they have their place, without a doubt .
There isn't a whole lot new under the sun , and I don't know about anyone else , but at some point I needed to rely less on what others said , and more
on what was happening in me .

I do like Paul Von Ward's 'Our Solarian Legacy' because it presents
some new-ish ideas along the lines of finding common ground between
metaphysics , advanced beings (take your pick) , and science .

Historically , I've found (I haven't read that many spiritual books ) the Gita important , and The Aquarian Gospel of JC (many years ago).

More recently (early 90's) there was some great channeled material we got , but it's not around now .

Music really works for me, and talking with my wife, and honestly I have been equally moved at times by a verse in a movie or meaningful dream. It just comes at you from anywhere when you set out to learn and grow

PS, Tom Robbins has some interesting books out ; not strictly spiritual, by any stretch, but several have made me go "Hmmmm"

'Jitterbug Perfume'
'Skinny Legs and All'
'Half Asleep In Frog Pajamas'

Fiction . Fun.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:22 AM

I rated this a 5 star thread, thank you for starting it...I am
making my list now...and thank you, Mr. Rubinski, sir.

My list would be way too long. I may make a list later, tho.
The Bhagavad Gita would be there, I'll tell ya.
And Autobiography of a Yogi, The Everything and The Nothing,
by Meher Baba, all read over 40 years ago...
set me on my way.
Ha, just saw The Aquarian Gospel..my gosh, I read that after a 5 day fast and 'dropping'
an 'unmentionable' here, in '71 in Key West, Florida, USA....ahh, the memories.
Hard book to find now.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 08-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Master
-BE HERE NOW by Baba Ram Das , the psychologist formerly known as Dr. Richard Alpert .

-The first three books about Don Juan by Carlos Castaneda

I've had one sitting here for a few years, 'The Self Aware Universe' (how consciousness creates the material world) , by Amit Goswami PhD.

Lastly but not leastly , the Kybalion , and introduction to Hermetic Philosophy http://www.kybalion.org/kybalion.php?chapter=I

I never even heard about the latter until about 5 years ago (I don't read much at all anymore) , after
finally following up on references to Hermeticism in Bill Nelson's music .
Mucho interesticado