Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 05-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Pathfinder
What is your favorite book about spiritual development?

What books would you recommend? Which ones helped you develop spiritually?
Old 05-08-2014, 10:51 PM
Master
The Law of One
Old 06-08-2014, 12:44 AM
Master
It depended on where I was at the time. I've read them all and they all are great but honestly I have been equally moved at times by a verse in a movie or meaningful dream. It just comes at you from anywhere when you set out to learn and grow.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:50 AM
silent whisper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemilla
What books would you recommend? Which ones helped you develop spiritually?

A few come to mind.

My earliest influence would have been Absolute Happiness and Kahil Gibran-The Prophet.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:00 AM
Ivy

I don't believe books can help you develop spiritually because it isn't an intellectual pursuit.

But like Capacity says, fiction, poetry, films, even academic theories from different fields, can all have meaningful insights that resonate with something within us. It's that something within us that develops.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:37 AM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy
I don't believe books can help you develop spiritually because it isn't an intellectual pursuit.

But like Capacity says, fiction, poetry, films, even academic theories from different fields, can all have meaningful insights that resonate with something within us. It's that something within us that develops.

I agree that it isn't an intellectual pursuit. But I have certainly read some books that triggered something within me that helped my development. And yes, sometimes it was a quote or a song, but books the most. I guess we're all different here, as in anything. I'm interested in what books did the same for other people, if they are also a "book person".
Old 06-08-2014, 08:39 AM
Master

'The Finding of the Third Eye' is the one and only book I've read and it has served a useful purpose for over fifteen years - or more...

Published by Rider, written and illustrated by the author ~ Vera Stanley Alder ~ the book (in this case a paper-back) explains in simple terms, the meaning and theory relating to most aspects of Spirituality (in some sort of chronological order) without promoting one above the other...

Reading it for the first time, in sections, it comes over strongly, how that which applies to the individual, seems to stand out on that page, as though one might recognize their own daily, working practice pertaining to that particular feature... I penciled and underlined those section, so that when I read the book for the second time (a year later) it backed up where I was at the earlier stage, allowing me to underline further aspects, that I had come to understand, since the initial reading...

Having read this book several times over now, most pages do have penciled sections on them which establishes the level of understanding I have about Spirituality ~ as pertaining to that book...

With me being more than satisfied with the way my life is progressing, I'm more than confident that I'm on the right track ~ 'This Time Around'...

I hope all that makes sense....

Never search for answers. Wait patiently until they are placed before you, which will be when you can unconditionally accept: and live those answers...

Old 06-08-2014, 08:46 AM
Master
Sorry, I failed to mention that it states on the front cover, that the book is: 'A Guide to Spiritual attainment, through the path outlined by Ancient Wisdom'...
Old 06-08-2014, 08:48 AM
Deactivated Account

I'm not a huge reader but I read part of Tolle's 'The Power of Now' once which I really loved and would recommend.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:19 AM
silent whisper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinski78

'The Finding of the Third Eye' is the one and only book I've read and it has served a useful purpose for over fifteen years - or more...

Published by Rider, written and illustrated by the author ~ Vera Stanley Alder ~ the book (in this case a paper-back) explains in simple terms, the meaning and theory relating to most aspects of Spirituality (in some sort of chronological order) without promoting one above the other...

Reading it for the first time, in sections, it comes over strongly, how that which applies to the individual, seems to stand out on that page, as though one might recognize their own daily, working practice pertaining to that particular feature... I penciled and underlined those section, so that when I read the book for the second time (a year later) it backed up where I was at the earlier stage, allowing me to underline further aspects, that I had come to understand, since the initial reading...

Having read this book several times over now, most pages do have penciled sections on them which establishes the level of understanding I have about Spirituality ~ as pertaining to that book...

With me being more than satisfied with the way my life is progressing, I'm more than confident that I'm on the right track ~ 'This Time Around'...

I hope all that makes sense....

Sometimes some books influence us for a long period of time. Obviously this one has for you.

It sounds like you have gained much through your sharing here...