Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 30-03-2013, 02:30 AM
Knower

Will Bliss Eventually Come?

I began my spiritual awakening nine months ago. Since then, my life has improved in every facet one-hundred-fold. I am absolutely much happier now than I was before my awakening began. I certainly have much more resources now when I am not happy - my spiritual beliefs.

I would probably characterize this period my life as the happiest since my early childhood, but that is not really saying much. Over the few months, my level of happiness has steadily decreased. I have brief moments of wonderful bliss, which usually consist of hilarious conversations with my brother.

However, I am certainly not happy in the sense that most people are and I fear as though I am going downhill. One thing, in particular, in harping upon me: I read a post from a member of this forum and read a page on his or her blog to which he or she linked that discussed depression in people undergoing spiritual awakenings. This person described it as the, "dark night of the soul," which I previously thought had something to do with soul mates. Nevertheless, this person seemed to indicate that this depression would remain present throughout the life of the individual undergoing the awakening.

I find this idea to be utterly horrifying. If that were the case, what is the point of all of this? In my old life, before my awakening, at least I enjoyed a level of sick and hedonistic pleasure. That brought me some joy. I thought that the ultimate intent of this process or the ultimate outcome would be "raising my vibration." Does that not mean an overall increase in happiness and bliss?

Please tell me that I have something to look forward to.

P.S. What I speak of in this thread very much connects with what I discussed here:http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...d.php?p=737218

Thanks
Old 30-03-2013, 02:53 AM
missrachel300

Personally, I never aimed to find happiness and bliss in my quest for spirituality... I aimed to find peace and contentment... and a stronger faith. All of which carry me (relatively) gracefully through all of life's difficulties.

Yes! You have more to look forward to. :)
Old 30-03-2013, 08:38 AM
Ivy

Joseph, if you could let go of all the spiritual **** you've picked up and simply look at life and try to see it in different ways, then you could find your own way.

Life is full of awakenings...there is no one with a set of symptoms. The 'dark night of the soul' was a poem written by a 12th (I stand to be corrected on the year) century monk, who was questioning his belief in God. Currently its a cool soundbite that people have latched onto to justify normal feelings associated with common life experiences.

The west is somewhat of a TV wonderland...and when life happens it spoils the Barbie dream. Love isn't returnerd, loved ones die, and soul mate Ken is just an ego in trendy trousers.

If someone tells you you're going to be awakened and depressed...and that's not a path you choose...ignore them. Likewise, if someone is selling a Barbie dream of perfect bliss...ignore them too.

Lol, better still, ignore everyone and start a conversation with your inner voice. It's not always clear sighted...but it knows you and where you're meant to be on your path, better than anyone else does.
Old 30-03-2013, 08:38 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph123
I thought that the ultimate intent of this process or the ultimate outcome would be "raising my vibration." Does that not mean an overall increase in happiness and bliss?

Please tell me that I have something to look forward to.

Part of the awakening allows one to look at aspects of the self that has been buried . What keeps one from awakening is more to the point . Why isn't every individual experiencing self realization and bliss .

In the awakening you begin to see why you are not realized and blissful .

Some of these aspects that surface one can disbelieve .

I would say this is where the hard work begins, unless one is under the impression that there is nothing to do ...

x daz x
Old 30-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Niebla0007

Dear Joseph,
Overall increase in happiness and especially bliss is just an extra benefit/experience - what you seek in your spiritual quest is what counts.

What drives me is spiritual knowledge, experience of the mysteries, to seek God and feel the divine & holy spirit.

Telling yourself that to be awakened, you'd be and would remain depressed throughout life just like somebody is not gonna do you any good.
Awakening is not the same for all people,
don't forget that some people believe salvation/even conversion comes with a prize - suffering.
Unless that's how you see your path, why dwell on it?

Old 30-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Master
You simply haven't truly Awakened yet, the Awakened one realize that they are happiness itself, its not a reward for Awakening, its your true Nature, and it always has been.
Old 30-03-2013, 04:57 PM
EnlightenedDragon181

It will, in time it will. I'm not sure when exactly it will happen, but sooner or later the true reality of this world will set in and people will learn to let things be.
Old 30-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Master

I came across the thread you mentioned - the dark night of the soul - and I apologize in advance to whoever wrote it, but I had to laugh. It is not a concept that I have come across before, and I had no intention of reading through it, but I did ask my daughter if she had encountered something like that before (I go to her with all my spiritual questions - she has taught me alot about living my spirituality) and she had to laugh too.

So, if you don't want that in your *pie* don't read it.

We all make choices in our lives, each and every day. When I go on this forum, I feel my way through the threads. I listen to my inner gut, so to speak (or I try most times). I like feeling good, so I try not to click on those threads that don't feel good. That is not to say that I avoid all the bad feeling ones. If I think I can offer prayer or healing to someone who has asked for it, and it calls to me, I do that, but I also try not to absorb the feelings they were offering when they asked for the help.

As far as depression, everyone goes through some form of that in life. If you can get to the root of it, and find the fear that caused it, then you can begin to heal it. A simple way to do that is to think of a little better feeling thought than depression feels like. The next better feeling that is usually anger, then blame, etc. etc. But if you do this in increments, i.e. feel the anger, then the next day, try to get to blame, and deliberately work your way up the emotional scale about it, each day you will feel a little bit better than the day before.

It does work, but you have to allow yourself to feel your feelings. It's not always fun but you can get to the joy eventually, but it is a process.

Light.
Old 30-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Master

Lots of people here say their spiritual awakening has led to some kind of depression and sometimes even a desire to take their own life. I would suggest that the spiritual teachings themselves are to blame. Usually when everyone is doing something it's a sign not to do it. Spiritual awakening is all the rage these days. And I see nothing wrong with wanting happiness, those who say you shouldn't probably aren't very happy themselves. The believers of course will say it's your fault, but maybe, just maybe it's the teachings.
Old 30-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Knower

Everyone, thank you very much for the responses.

Yes, no offense to the person who wrote the thread and blog that I mentioned previously... however, perhaps when he or she suggested that Mother Theresa had been suffering from the sort of depression that he or she were describing for fifty years, that should have raised a red flag.

I think one of the things that I need to learn is to not be led astray by other people. Since there are many people out there who seem to be speaking from an authoritative position, it is difficult to sift through all of the information and extract only that which is right.

I do not believe in organized religion, partly because I think that those groups try to control others through fear. However, maybe some spiritual individuals do that, as well.

One thing that I very much need to get passed is the mantra that I often tell myself: "You will be happy, WHEN..." I think that I need to find a way to be completely happy in every moment, to accept nothing less of myself and of the world, and to not await my arrival in greener pastures. That old saying, the grass is always greener...

Can anyone please describe exactly what it means for one's vibration to be raised? Does that mean, in literal terms, that the person is happier?