Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 24-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Greg

Teacher, community

Do you believe that in order to gain the full benefits of meditation that one should really have a teacher or join a sangha (spiritual community). I've been told, usually by zen masters, that to meditate alone without a teacher isn't a good idea, particularly if you suffer with mental illness as I do. The problem is I've become more, I hate to say it, but more new age/spiritual in my beliefs rather than Buddhist and there are hardly any teachers are groups near me, and the ones there are I don't really like that much. Therefore am I just wasting my time by meditating by myself without a religion, without a community and without a teacher?
Old 24-06-2011, 08:16 PM
tragblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
Do you believe that in order to gain the full benefits of meditation that one should really have a teacher or join a sangha (spiritual community).

No.

Quote:
I've been told, usually by zen masters, that to meditate alone without a teacher isn't a good idea, particularly if you suffer with mental illness as I do.

My zen teacher has never said anything like that.

Quote:
The problem is I've become more, I hate to say it, but more new age/spiritual in my beliefs rather than Buddhist and there are hardly any teachers are groups near me, and the ones there are I don't really like that much.

There's no problem with no longer identifying with Buddhism. You are just changing. I go back and forth between a lot of things all the time.

The Buddha got enlightened all by himself.
Old 25-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Medium_Laura

If you have been diagnosed with a mental illness I can understand why you were suggested to have someone with you. It would keep you from creating doubts or fears when you do meditate.

Though it is suggested, you can always try recorded guided meditations which has a voice to step you into deeper consciousness and would lessen your own thoughts running away with themselves.
Old 25-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Administrator
Quote:
Do you believe that in order to gain the full benefits of meditation that one should really have a teacher or join a sangha (spiritual community). I've been told, usually by zen masters, that to meditate alone without a teacher isn't a good idea, particularly if you suffer with mental illness as I do. The problem is I've become more, I hate to say it, but more new age/spiritual in my beliefs rather than Buddhist and there are hardly any teachers are groups near me, and the ones there are I don't really like that much. Therefore am I just wasting my time by meditating by myself without a religion, without a community and without a teacher?

Hello

It all comes down to what works for "YOU" . For me personally I can not meditate alone as I work in the realms of Spirit I find that many want to find me in that quiet space and time. Too in meditations as I can so freely Astral I find that I go in too long and too deep. I need to have that GROUP to ground me and to feel their life energies around me so that I come back at the end gently.

I go to call no one " Master " as I so feel we are all on a equal plane in life, its just that some of us open in trust of self more in what we know and can do. Again it comes down to one's comfort zones. In that place of peace where one feels that support of being safe.

I have tried so many meditation forms over the year's and I have come to settle into one that fits me but for other's its a distraction or even painful at times. That be Crystal Bowls and a guided spoken meditation. Now I have found one that combines her bowls with the drum and OMG its taken me to new levels I have never thought were there. Some have found that DRUM distracts so again its a personal feel. What I have found is I can get lost in the Bowls but the Drum grounds me and gives me something to hold onto.

What I might suggest is trying some that are a combination of voice guided and music and see where that takes one. There are some good one's on You Tube.....

The best thing to remember is that nothing comes to one over night in meditations it takes time and patients but most of all self trust that one finds what is RIGHT for ye.

Lynn
Old 25-06-2011, 04:59 PM
moke64916

Quote:

It is only waisting your time if you interpret it as that. You do not need a teacher. Books help. You do not "need" anyone to meditate with you. When you meditate you are not thinking about the teacher. I just think it feels different for you without having an organized religion. It is a natural feeling. With spirituality you can make your own interpretations about religions. The answer to your problem you already have. Think of it as an opportunity to grow spiritually. What you feel about this will pass. Everything is what you make of it.
Old 26-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Master
Teachers come in many forms!

From spirit guides to passers-by, from family members to old school friends who suddenly appear back in your life.

Sometimes Zen teachers or people who consider themselves a teacher are only the catalyst to bring another teacher in.

If you consider yourself a student and need a teacher to progress, you will create blocks that can agitate fears.

If you consider yourself an equal in everything, a teacher in some circumstances and a student in others you will see you are surrounded by teachers and students alike.

Look out for meditation groups, or start your own! Why not make a suggestion within your mental health support, they might just need a nudge ;)

There is no wrong in meditation, as with life it's your own personal experience! And you will bring to it what you bring and others will bring to it what they bring

It may mean your apprehension means that guided meditation isn't right for you right now.

That won't stop you going within and finding your own peace, this you can do with just grounding and sitting in the peaceful moment. Wherever you are!

Love and hugs

Jo

XxXx
Old 26-06-2011, 10:50 AM
supernova

Nobody can be a better teacher to you than yourself and external teachers if you come across any are simple aides not the real one. The real one is within you. If you cannot visualize it running after a thousand and one teachers will be worthless things. See the inner beauty you are gifted with. The outside is the reflection of the inside
Old 26-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Greg

I may continue to go to the zendo to meditate as well as do my own meditations at home. I don't only have to meditate the zen way right? Of all the forms of Buddhism zen speaks to me the most, though I find it hard to do zazen (zen meditation) by myself and prefer to be with a group for that. Other forms of meditation, i.e relaxation, insight meditations I can do by myself.
Old 24-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Experiencer
Try Treeleaf Zendo where they have online sessions

http://www.treeleaf.org/

Old 24-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Master
Quote:
I may continue to go to the zendo to meditate as well as do my own meditations at home. I don't only have to meditate the zen way right? Of all the forms of Buddhism zen speaks to me the most, though I find it hard to do zazen (zen meditation) by myself and prefer to be with a group for that. Other forms of meditation, i.e relaxation, insight meditations I can do by myself.

I think that sounds good, and you seem comfortable with it.